Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Huge 8

C

considizzle

006.JPG

001.JPG

Well I feel very lucky to show you hunters pictures of this huge 8 that I killed on opening day of the second shotgun season. I was hunting with a roommate of mine and we were sitting in my ground blind. He was just out there watching me because he loves to hunt but being from Minnesota he does not get many chances to go home and hunt. We were getting bored so I told him to walk this finger of woods towards me and I will go stand by the edge of the big timber and see if you can kick any deer out towards me. He did what I told him to do and he kicked 7 does and this buck up. I saw the deer running about two hundred yards away. I took off in a full sprint to where I thought they might come out of the woods. I was very lucky to be within 10 yards of the deer when they came out of the thicket. The first 4 deer were does that literally came within 3 yards of me. I knew this buck had to be behind the does because I saw them all together. I waited and when the does passed this buck was trailing them and ran 10 yards from me. I took 3 shots at this buck within 20 yards. He was running extermely fast and when I shot he buckled and I thought he was going down in the field. He kept running but was obviously injured. I met up with my roommate and he said did you get that big boy because he was nice and I saw him coming right towards you. I told him I shot 3 times but only think I landed on one of the shots. I could not believe I missed the other two because he was so close but he was moving fast so that did not help. We waited for about 40 minutes to start tracking him, which there was blood and fur right where I shot him at. I thought he would be laying within 200 yards of where I shot him but was I way off. We followed a blood trail for about one mile. Two of the spots we found he must of layed down because there was a ton of blood but with snow coming we knew it was perfect conditions to track this buck. I never would of thought it would of took me 8 straight hours to find him but to make a long story short, we kicked this buck up 7 different times and towards the end he was getting so tired that he tried to jump a little river and when he got to the other side he got stuck in the half frozen ice on the river. We watched him stare and struggle to get out but was in no condition to put up a fight and get out. We left the area knowing that he might lay there and either freeze or die to death. We came back early the next morning and found him in the same spot dead. By the way from the spot I shot him and the spot I found him he ran over 3 miles and it was the longest tracking I have ever done but thank god we continued to push him because of where I shot him. I hit this buck in its front leg and broke it and his back two legs got stuck in the ice and thus the reason he could not get out. If I would of let him sit until morning he would of survived, due to only hitting the leg. I could not believe how much blood came out of his leg but there was decent blood for three miles and the snow was the only reason we were able to track him so far. If he did not get stuck in the creek, we might be still looking for him but I am sure glad that luck was on my side. I know one thing, do not ever give up on looking for a deer because after 8 hours of tracking I found my biggest buck to date and could not be happier. If there is grammar problems deal with it because its two oclock and I should be studying for finals but thought I would share my story with you guys. WOW!!! What do u think he would score?

Nice buck, sounds like your still pumped up. I'd say he'll go in the mid to low 140's.

Great buck, old warrior for sure. Just out of curiosity why didn't you finish him off when you saw he was stuck in the creek instead of waiting until the next day? Good job! Andy

Andy to answer your question: I shot the deer at 3:30 and did not find him in the creek until around midnight 3 miles away. He ran towards some houses and did not want to shoot him in the dark and right by the houses. I could tell he had enough and would not get out, so I decided to let him lay. I dont know if it was the right thing to do but the buck will be hanging on my wall next fall so im not upset with my decision to let him sit till morning. Good question and good luck.

brings up a good question. can you legally shoot a deer that you wounded during legal hours after legal shooting light has expired? i would guess the law says no but all laws dont follow common sense in my opinion.

No, you can't shoot a wounded deer after dark. If you could, everyone would be shooting a "wounded" deer. (well, not everyone, you guys know what I mean)

hoofline.gif

He certainly is a nice one, Congrats. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

Top Bottom