Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunter Internet comments that drive me INSANE!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I spend very little time on social media. 5 minutes in any form: IG, Facebook, etc and I want to pour bleach in my eyes or give myself a lobotomy!!!! But…. Any hunter discussion - here’s 3 comments I see OVER & OVER & OVER - that drive me INSANE!!!! ;). I know a lot of hunters are intelligent folks. Critical thinkers. Open minded. But good gosh, there’s a % that spent grade school sniffing too much rubber cement & huffing gas in their parents garage!!!

1) anything discussing crossbows (valid or not. Legal in your state or not) & their use for able bodied guys…. The GO TO comment…. “Well compounds are more advanced than recurves”. Or any variation of that. Like “ok, and???” “So that justifies why crossbows being thrown into archery season is the way to go?!?” The same logic: ok, put rifles into archery season then. Because compounds are more advanced than recurves. NEWS FLASH: crossbow is NOT archery. Whether u like them or not- it’s not. Just like muzzlelaoders having their own season for weapons- put crossbows in their own season!!!! When u can compete in the Olympics for Archery & use a crossbow - ok, let’s chat. I have no problem with crossbows & in their own seasons or for disabled or seniors or injured. But good gosh, those comments “better use a spear. Or only traditional guys can comment on this” is so shallow & illogical!!!!

2) “don’t argue or debate issues with hunting. It’s giving ammo to PETA & anti hunters”. News flash!!!! What’s “ruined hunting” or degraded it is OURSELVES. Not stopping special interests that have pushed to kill all the deer. Use every weapon. Increase the season to 1/3rd++ the year. Give states unlimited tags. If anything- hunting has become far more liberal and the killing increased!!! The reaction to the madness- guys locking up land to insulate from the madness & special interests that exploited hunting for $!!!! Now folks often have no where to go. BOTTOM LINE: go look at the most lefty-lunatic places u can think of…. They NEVER do away with hunting (Europe, California, etc)…. The folks want animal #’s controlled. Seasons & killing are very open. Now- it’s all privatized in Europe because people have ruined the resource & the wealthy locked it all up to hunt. PETA or anti-hunters make zero traction on stopping hunting of deer or small game, etc. The ONLY place the anti hunters have made any headway…. The “unique” critters that they can get people to believe are rare or not a game animal…. Like a wolf or maybe a bear, etc. Deer???? C’mon!!!!
The real threat!!!: Special interests selling hunters out to make a buck, ruining age structure & populations with massive seasons & quotas…. Regs that ruin average ground so everyday hunters don’t enjoy it & quit. Then guys locking up more land in response - THAT is the threat to hunting. So tired of hearing about PETA & the anti hunters that are having ZERO impact to the Midwest’s deer hunting issues!!!!!

3) “if it’s legal- it’s all good”. Some states u can use dogs to hunt. Some u can use bait piles, crossbows, rifles & shoot 2+ bucks in a day. Some states u can shoot multiple bucks with guns in middle of rut. Infinite tags. Unlimited NR tags. Many states the 1.5 yo bucks are mowed down like they are an invading army. & “it’s all legal” so that ends it!!!!! & where has the line gone for much of the country in last 20-40 years??? Laws have changed non-stop…. Just in the wrong direction most of the time…. More weapons, more seasons, more killing, more lethal weapons, easier hunting, more technology, etc. Which is fine in some regards but why would our seasons get LONGER when we have all these new weapons, technology & ease of killing? One would think the seasons could actually be shorter?!?! & what’s happened to deer #’s in MOST states in last 10-20 years? MOST: have gone DOWN. not all but most. Iowa is down in 10 years. “If it’s legal- it’s all good!!!” The laws in most states are not desirable. What’s legal needs to be changed IMHO. just because it’s been a certain way- doesn’t mean that’s the “best way”. & we clearly can see different states regulations have vastly different outcomes!!!!! Some far better than others. & the guys…. If it’s legal it’s good …. We could legalize rifles all season long!!!! We could make it legal to hunt with drones!!! We could make it legal to hunt deer at night like coyotes!!! & why not?!?! A dead deer is a dead deer- right?? So what’s it matter??? Heck, why even have deer seasons???? YEAR ROUND HUNTING - make it legal!!! Why not? Less government & more freedom right!!!?!?!? MAKE IT ALL LEGAL!!!! & watch the resource disappear!!!!! Just like the age class, access, balanced herds, opportunities for new hunters have in MANY states - they have disappeared under the legalization of every stupid idea and season the politicians have approved! What’s legal needs to change!!!! If not- mark my words…. If next 20-30 years is like the last 20-30 years: same trajectory…. We will be EUROPE!!!! All: HIGH FENCED! All pay to access. All for the rich. All privatized self regulated hunting.

I’m sure I ticked some of you off. Not my intention. But- if we can’t discuss the stubborn stupid discussions that are crippling ourselves - things will continue to get worse. The more we can have the discussions & debates & wake up some of these folks with the tired old arguments - that’s our hope to making hunting great again. & we need changes in our own house. Direction has to change.

FWIW: I don’t think above thoughts & discussion constitutes “beating a dead horse”- at all!! In my 30+ years of hunting… I’ve never felt a “call to change” stronger at any other time. The younger folks are hungrier for a revolution than I’ve ever seen. GROWING #’s & %’s want the pendulum to finally swing the other way!!

Sorry on the rant. All over the place. Thoughts? U guys see any silly point of views that are tiring, lazy & ignorant that drive you nuts?? & yes, I say all this with a smile on my face. We love hunting. We want it to get better. This is an amazing sport. Go enjoy guys. Best wishes out there.

Agree 100%, especially if the "if its legal its all good". Hate that comment. Whats next, legalize hand grenades and landmines? Then when that shooter buck just wont come out of that brush you can just toss a grenade over, its 'legal its all good". Or danngit, that nice buck just wont come out to my plot in daylight, lets legalize landmines, set some landmines out in my plot and I dont even need to be there, I can just come back the next morning pick up the remnants. "as long as its legal its all good". makes no sense.

Same with xbows. Unless you are a senior or have a disability no one should be shooting xbows, not even youth. Show up to a 3d shoot with a xbow or an archery league with a xbow and see how that goes, you wont be allowed nor should you. I see a lot of comments that xbows are just as much a challenge as a bow, no way. Its got a stock, a butt agaisnt your shoulder, its precocked, and has a scope. They shoot a lot faster, theres no need to range or try to estimate yardage on should I use my 20 yard pin or my 30 yard pin. Is that deer at 20 or 30 or 40? Doesnt matter with a xbow, just put the scope on it at those yardages and your going to hit the same.

**I am 100% behind any senior or disabled person being able to use xbow!

Saw a video the other day of a pretty good buck that had been run to the point of exhaustion by deer "hunters" running dogs. The video started with the guy videoing walking up to the buck as it was either laying in a crick or standing in the crick in water up to its belly. Mouth hanging open. Panting. Couple dogs on each side of it barking like crazy. Obviously it was hot, exhausted, and out of steam to run any further. The caption of the video was "What are your thoughts?" I was disgusted but most of the top comments were "If it's legal there, great!" or some variation. Disappointing. Gross.

I'll keep my opinion of coyote hunters running hounds to myself today.....

Saw a video the other day of a pretty good buck that had been run to the point of exhaustion by deer "hunters" running dogs. The video started with the guy videoing walking up to the buck as it was either laying in a crick or standing in the crick in water up to its belly. Mouth hanging open. Panting. Couple dogs on each side of it barking like crazy. Obviously it was hot, exhausted, and out of steam to run any further. The caption of the video was "What are your thoughts?" I was disgusted but most of the top comments were "If it's legal there, great!" or some variation. Disappointing. Gross.

I believe South Carolina still has dog hunting legal for deer. This stems back from the turn of the 19th century where the sport was quite popular. Combine that with the swamps they have to hunt and I can see it being legitimate. That being said, while I respect it (Archabold Rutledge books are quite fascinating), I'm not wild about it personally.

And there's no way in H@ll I'd ever want that here in the midwest! I have enough trouble keeping dogs off my property from the moronic neighbors I have. None of them care, zero.. nada about your property.

Regarding OP by Skip - Agree x 1000%!

I believe South Carolina still has dog hunting legal for deer. This stems back from the turn of the 19th century where the sport was quite popular. Combine that with the swamps they have to hunt and I can see it being legitimate. That being said, while I respect it (Archabold Rutledge books are quite fascinating), I'm not wild about it personally.

And there's no way in H@ll I'd ever want that here in the midwest! I have enough trouble keeping dogs off my property from the moronic neighbors I have. None of them care, zero.. nada about your property.

Regarding OP by Skip - Agree x 1000%!
I pulled cam cards last weekend after leaving them out since May (yeah, I know, what good does that do). The neighbor's beagle spent quite a bit of time chasing rabbits in an area I hoped would be some deer bedding. I've asked him to keep his dog off the property in the past, wasted breath I guess. Should start trapping with legholds....

I loved hunting pheasants with GSP's when I had them. Hunting hogs with hounds, then wading in to stab them sounds crazy and I might like to try that. Not interested in chasing mountain lions, bears or deer with dogs. I loathed the local coyote hound guy who was very confrontative about keeping his dogs off my property. Funny how the view of the use of dogs goes.

I forgot to add that one comment I hear that drives me crazy is when someone "catches" a deer. Did you catch one? the question goes. Or look what I caught. Good for you, I'd like to have seen that. It ain't fishing.

Something I feel like I’m seeing more and more of in the whitetail hunting community is guys being super critical about what other people are shooting (not on this forum thankfully). I personally choose to chase more mature deer, but that’s my own choice. Everyone’s entitled to their own decisions. Can’t wrap my head around why some people have to be critical about a harvest that will likely never effect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled cam cards last weekend after leaving them out since May (yeah, I know, what good does that do). The neighbor's beagle spent quite a bit of time chasing rabbits in an area I hoped would be some deer bedding. I've asked him to keep his dog off the property in the past, wasted breath I guess. Should start trapping with legholds....

I loved hunting pheasants with GSP's when I had them. Hunting hogs with hounds, then wading in to stab them sounds crazy and I might like to try that. Not interested in chasing mountain lions, bears or deer with dogs. I loathed the local coyote hound guy who was very confrontative about keeping his dogs off my property. Funny how the view of the use of dogs goes.
Considering the name of this thread, and the fact that I’m a trapper, I sure hope you’re not going on a mission to trap the neighbor’s dog. People tend to think poorly of trapping for various reasons, and things like this don’t help at all.

There are so many other options.

Considering the name of this thread, and the fact that I’m a trapper, I sure hope you’re not going on a mission to trap the neighbor’s dog. People tend to think poorly of trapping for various reasons, and things like this don’t help at all.

There are so many other options.

As a dog owner, it’s an idle threat. I’m not interested in hurting a dog because his owner sucks. I’ve talked to his owner without results. Tell me the many other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sucks, I completely understand. I’ve dealt with this situation before. Sorry if I came off as confrontational.

In my opinion, you have two options at this point. 1. Call the law and have it documented. 2. The dog disappears

Top Bottom