Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunter's First

NWBuck

PMA Member
My 14 year old son Hunter finally made it happen with the bow yesterday morning :way: He has shot several deer since age 9 using a muzzleloader, but until Sunday morning he'd not even shot AT a deer with his bow. It was kind of a tough luck youth season for Hunter, but he stayed persistent and confident into the bow season. This area had recently blown up with sign...scrapes and rubs appearing all over the property within just the last few days.

The Sunday morning hunt didn't take long. We sat in stands about 150 yards apart and the south winds were beginning to crank up already by daybreak. A few minutes after legal shooting light I heard a loud crack up in the direction of Hunter's stand, and a few seconds later what sounded like a large branch falling. It was only a couple of minutes later when I received a text from him saying "I shot a buck and I think I heard him crash"....thus explaining the falling tree branch :D The buck had been chasing a young doe through the timber near Hunter's stand for several minutes before she finally drug him right through a shooting lane. Hunter had to make a loud mouth grunt to get him stopped, and then sent a beautiful double lunger through him from 17 yards. Through texts I got as much information as I could from him about the hit, and despite being confident the deer was down, I convinced him we should wait 30 minutes before beginning the search. Hunter took the lead on the blood trail, which was short and easy to follow. The buck made it about 75 yards before crashing in a tangled mess of blow downs. Hunter's first bow kill...

I thought I recognized the buck from a recent card pull on a nearby trailcam. I only got a head shot of him, but the spongy puss pockets on either side of his nose confirmed his identity.

Anyway, congrats bud...you're a fun hunting partner, and I'm glad things finally worked out the way they're supposed to for you. No doubt the first of many, but I think we'll both always remember this one :way:

NWBuck

Last edited:
Let me be the first to congratulate, great job Hunter! I've been taking a family friend 16 lately and now my son is done with XC it's time for him to get his first. Great story!

Congrats to you both. When you get a little long in the tooth like me, you'll realize memories of times like this are what you live your life for. Nothing sadder than the man who gets old with a bunch of money and stuff, but, no memories of special times to relish. Feeling a little philosophical this morning I guess.:grin:

Top Bottom