Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting a dead deer???

Bucknduck

Alright, let me explain the question.

I think back to last year when I hunted a deer that I had seen quite a few times on my trail cam and for all reasons should have at least seen this guy some time during one of my hunts. I know there are a lot of things that we/I do wrong that can chase a nice deer from an area, but have you ever wondered if the deer that you are waiting for has already become someone else's trophy?

I understand that there is a greater risk on public land, but let's say on private land where there is less hunting pressure.

I just wondered if anyone had ever came to this realization after the season came to an end and figured out that the deer that they had hoped to take was already dead..

I saw a nice deer 3 years ago, but young, and was looking forward to 2007 to see what came of him. Not a hair until late Dec. on a trail cam in which he had 1/2 a rack, although really nice. This year he has appeared and is in the 160 class. However, I have NEVER SEEN him the past two years while hunting. many things can happen but here in Iowa another might be just around the corner and not "knowing' is half the fun. But yes, I have passed two deer in my life that thinking back should have shot that I never saw again and thought for sure that I would. So is life.

Deer is either dead (obviously), got pushed out by another buck after a fight (I mean think about it- that's why deer fight, for dominance and territory), he found another area with "better" cover/safety and better foon, he's nocturnal and has a seclusive personality, he's DARN SMART and knows how to avoid you OR lastly- I've seen deer "disappear" for a year or two and re-surfice later.
Don't spend too much time worrying about the uncontrollable BUT good luck and I hope he surfaces next to your treestand when you're in it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

He's dead and I shot him! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

We had a deer on our farm that we thought got killed every year for 4 straight years, but always seemed to surface during the late muzzy/bow season 1 day. My brother saw him in 2002 and 2003, in 2003 he had been shot in the right front leg and my brother had him at 8 yards with no buck tag left, this was very late in the year and we were convinced the deer would die during the winter. In 2004/05 we were convinced the giant was dead, he surfaced Jan. 6, I was bowhunting and it was cold (5 above zero if I recall). I had him and a 150" 10pt. at 30 yds with no shooting lane. As disappointing as that day was it was good to see the giant on his feet, alive and kicking. Muzzy season 2005 I was sitting in the truck, sick as a dog watching a giant deer 400 yds or so in the middle of our bottom bean field. Had no clue what deer it was, but knew he was a good one. Next thing I know I hear a bang, look in the field and the deer is gone. Look a little closer and the deer is laying down in the middle of the field doing the death flop. Start the truck, put it in drive and make it through the corn field in record time. As I am pulling up my brother is flying out of the woods toward me. We stand and admire, apparently my brother had snuck down the ridge some 200 yds and got to within 125yds or so and put the smack down. It wasn't until we dug half the rack out of the mud that we realized he had dropped the elusive giant. The deer had a monster flyer/droptime off the right main beam. He fell in a way that it burried in the field and we couldn't see it. Was a pretty cool ending of a long chase. You never know when that "dead buck" might show up.

KRatz

Unless that deer is locked down in a pen, they can and will go anywhere. I have seen deer miles away from where I have watched them in the summer. In the winter they are going to go wherever the food is and that could be a couple miles away. I don't put much stock in photos, I just like to see what is within 10 miles of where I am hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless that deer is locked down in a pen, they can and will go anywhere. I have seen deer miles away from where I have watched them in the summer. In the winter they are going to go wherever the food is and that could be a couple miles away. I don't put much stock in photos, I just like to see what is within 10 miles of where I am hunting. </div></div>

I fully agree with you Mike! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I will never single out and hunt a certain buck during a season again.
Here today, gone tomorrow.....

I "try" not to focus on a certain buck. As has been stated, many things can happen that can cause them to fall off the face of the earth. B/W predators, winter, and rifle hunters, I figure a buck I know of has a 25% chance of being around the next yr or even the current hunting season. Sometimes it's hard to not focus on a certain deer but it is mentally easier on a person to focus on any deer that will do.

I totally understand what you are all saying. I just thought this post could generate a few stories like jkratz had. 180 Class had a similar story a few years ago and those stories are interesting to talk about while you are waiting for the season to open.

Liv4rut, thanks for the camera you made me a few years ago. It's still working great.

Top Bottom