Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting big open timber.

Mandity

Hunting big open timber. Picture added

I was wondering when hunting big open timber with some being really thick and cant really figure out where the deer are coming and going from. They are going every direction. Now with the rut it is really unpredictable. Would you just head to the middle or find a low spot or hunt ridges. Also have no clue on what type of wind to hunt in cause deer come in from everywhere. What are your thoughts on big open timber.

Last edited:
I was wondering when hunting big open timber with some being really thick and cant really figure out where the deer are coming and going from. They are going every direction. Now with the rut it is really unpredictable. Would you just head to the middle or find a low spot or hunt ridges. Also have no clue on what type of wind to hunt in cause deer come in from everywhere. What are your thoughts on big open timber.

Just sit on the edges so you have the wind in your face. Also, if there is a creek you can also have that at your back, making the deer cross the creek to get down wind.

This should definitely help and besides, getting into the middle will only make more noise with the dry leaves and scare more deer than anything else!

Walk the fenceline and find the major crossing/s then go back about 75 yards and set up. Would give you a place to start, especially where it adjoins any crop ground or hayfield.

So then during morning and during middle of day should I stay in the heart of the timber then move to edges in evening? Its public ground and the only fences are just off the road and very easy to get to for other hunters. It also has a lake that is also public connected to it. I was thinking about using my boat to get in deep where most guys won't walk that far in.

If the place has a lake in it, find a cove in the lake where the woods make a big bend around the cove. Set up just inside there. Dynamite funnel!!

k
Okay here is a photo of the ground i hunt. Any suggestions on where to setup would be great thanks.

what crops are in the area? Upper left looks to be a cut field. Deer should be bedding down in the woods and crossing the road (let side) to eat. Without seeing other woods in the area its hard to say where else deer could be bed down. Depending on the wind they could be at the lake one day, and somewhere else the next day.

Once the lake freezes, you should be able to see trails where they are drinking from the small finger creeks and that would be a good spot for a morning sit.

I like the tip of the tan dogleg top center. Looks like a pond maybe right at the foot of it. Either way, I bet there is good traffic there. get in early........ck

Top Bottom