Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting lease website- check this out!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Never seen this one before. I am NOT against leasing!!! Not really for it either. Indifferent. I’ve done it and realized it was a waste of $ in the experiences I had around it. & that was like $5-10/acre!!! Now this…. This is next level stuff!!!!! Wow, getting out of hand….. like “55 acres, $4500 PER WEEK!!!!” Or “3 acres, $700 per week”. 45 acres, $400 PER DAY! Holy cow!!!! I have not looked at lease prices in a LONG time …. Crazy!!!! Free market, folks able to ask what they want & those willing to pay it…. Whatever floats your boat. How anyone thinks they are going to hunt a farm that churns weekly groups through & have quality hunting??? Perplexing to say the least!!! If these were my neighbors… yikes, my farm would be for sale instantaneously (also the free market). They can do what they want but this is how areas are absolutely destroyed. The more of this we see, these obscene prices for ground that’s piss pounded to an extreme - just kinda sad for the resource. I’ll guess most their neighbors have to be incredibly frustrated too. Poor folks. If any suckers are paying this, wow!!! Daily or weekly rates…. Anyone would be better off just hunting some somewhat overlooked state land for FREE & I bet they have better hunting!!!
Man, I need to change teams and my POV here. Lease all my land out…. $100,000 per week or $10,000 per day if anyone interested?!?!! 16 weeks, $1.6m!! Im cashing in fellas!!!
This is just CRAZY!!!!!….

Last edited:
On this note .... where do you make the distinction between leasing and outfitting?? I mean if a owner has stands and blinds in place i think its pretty much an " outfitted hunt"? Thus some of these landowners need guides/outfitting licenses????

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

On this note .... where do you make the distinction between leasing and outfitting?? I mean if a owner has stands and blinds in place i think its pretty much an " outfitted hunt"? Thus some of these landowners need guides/outfitting licenses????

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
No licenses for outfitting in iowa. Anyone can be one. At least the way I understand it. Be a dream come true if outfitting for DEER dissapeared. Disaster on 90%++ of the cases. I can fully understand outfitting for grizzlies or elk or moose in Alaska or some trip into mountains or on hundreds of thousands of acres, etc. But Whitetail deer?!?!? On Midwest farms usually a couple hundred acres… C‘Mon!!!! If u can’t figure that one out - take up bowling. Outfitting was top few things that ruined Illinois. Ruins parts of kansas. Countless other states for age structure, access, quality of deer (best young ones targeted) & our movement to making hunting all pay to play. Wish they’d all disappear. & yes, I am friends with many, some do it right. Very few. This “AIRBNB of deer hunting land” is a total train wreck!!!!

I’ve watched this site for awhile and the prices are insane. Lots of different stipulations on them too.

The increase in the online leasing maybe a consequence of removing party hunting. Guys that party hunted each year that they didn’t draw have farms “setup” and may be trying to recoup the investment. There are not any License requirements for a Guiding or Outfitting business in Iowa. These types of changes are why the Nonresident License Quota must remain where they are,any increase will only speed up this type of behavior. Me personally I would rather my Non Resident neighbor had one tag every year on his 160 acre or larger farm than it being managed as a weekly AirB-NB

The increase in the online leasing maybe a consequence of removing party hunting. Guys that party hunted each year that they didn’t draw have farms “setup” and may be trying to recoup the investment. There are not any License requirements for a Guiding or Outfitting business in Iowa. These types of changes are why the Nonresident License Quota must remain where they are,any increase will only speed up this type of behavior. Me personally I would rather my Non Resident neighbor had one tag every year on his 160 acre or larger farm than it being managed as a weekly AirB-NB
IMO- the majority of the folks will just sell. That’s what most folks I know are doing. A big % were gonna sell before this happened ….. huge combo of “not near as many giant bucks as I expected”. “Way more work to manage these farms than I thought” & another big one “I bought a few years ago and the more i think about it- I don’t wanna wait 6 years for a bow tag”. The NR party tags were really just “straw that broke camels back” for a lot of folks who were close to packing it up anyways.
The next convo I’ve had a gazillion times (& u know this ;) ) - “where should I buy?” Or they already know. As we all know - many of these folks will just sell. They will take their $ to KS, IL, KY, MO, etc. I know where majority are going IMO. That’s what I’d do!!! I wouldn’t lease my IA ground out if I were a NR…, NO WAY!!! I’d sell it and move it to where the hunting is great & I can hunt yearly. That’s what the vast majority will do.
IMO- when u own a “million dollar investment” …. 9 out of 10 folks are NOT gonna be ok with an army of guys coming in and raping the place. It’s like buying an immaculate beach house & letting college kids use it every weekend for keg parties. Guys are gonna take that $/investment & put it to use in an area they can utilize.
Why, IMO- Iowas land prices will likely soften (they already have) some more. & some other states will likely appreciate in value.
The silver lining…. Residents will see prices be a little closer to affordable & reasonable values. VS what we see RIGHT NOW- which is over valued pricing. I really hope the prices come down a bit. They got too high, over valued & pushed us towards all these things that are bad for the resource: Airbnb hunting, segmentation of the land, little to no access to quality land, etc.

I watched a KS game commission meeting where they couldn’t understand why resident participation kept going down and nonresident demand kept going up. Well, when NRLO tags are guaranteed and other states are making moves to keep themselves great, what do you think will happen? All that money comes here and displaces even more residents. We are in a downward spiral, not in quality of deer, but quality of experience for residents. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here who has taken advantage of that, but I genuinely care about my fellow Kansans in that regard. It may be better for the deer herd, but what does that matter if it is reserved for the wealthy few?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, been a while since I've checked lease prices in iowa too. I considered trying to get a lease, but just never did. When I considering like 2k or so for a year on an 80 seemed reasonable and would stuff like that. This new stuff is nuts

I watched a KS game commission meeting where they couldn’t understand why resident participation kept going down and nonresident demand kept going up. Well, when NRLO tags are guaranteed and other states are making moves to keep themselves great, what do you think will happen? All that money comes here and displaces even more residents. We are in a downward spiral, not in quality of deer, but quality of experience for residents. I mean absolutely no offense to anyone here who has taken advantage of that, but I genuinely care about my fellow Kansans in that regard. It may be better for the deer herd, but what does that matter if it is reserved for the wealthy few?

I see both sides of this issue being a NR with a KS farm. I get 1 tag because of being a NRLO, which part of me thinks is deserved for owning the land, paying taxes on it, etc, but I understand if I was a R in KS, I may feel like you do and think we don't deserve one. The tag can only be used on land you own, so if it's on permission or leased ground, doesn't count, which I think is fair seeing as you are guaranteed that tag (Min 80 acres)
NR's are having to draw now, which is new in the last couple years, I think this is good. Better than MO or IL where the floodgates are wide open to let anyone in, and 2 tags at that.

No licenses for outfitting in iowa. Anyone can be one. At least the way I understand it. Be a dream come true if outfitting for DEER dissapeared. Disaster on 90%++ of the cases. I can fully understand outfitting for grizzlies or elk or moose in Alaska or some trip into mountains or on hundreds of thousands of acres, etc. But Whitetail deer?!?!? On Midwest farms usually a couple hundred acres… C‘Mon!!!! If u can’t figure that one out - take up bowling. Outfitting was top few things that ruined Illinois. Ruins parts of kansas. Countless other states for age structure, access, quality of deer (best young ones targeted) & our movement to making hunting all pay to play. Wish they’d all disappear. & yes, I am friends with many, some do it right. Very few. This “AIRBNB of deer hunting land” is a total train wreck!!!!
Well stated Skip. Rich people ruin everything.

Last edited:

I get a guaranteed tag owning land in kansas. I’ve warned my neighbors there. I’ve spoke with some in dnr & legislator there…. The average KS resident has no idea what’s coming!!!!! With enough time, the majority of that state is going to be owned by NR’s with this policy. And ground is going to be broke down to 80’s over time. Why, even now, a 79 acre parcel & an 80 acre parcel…. The 80 will be worth a good clip more. Until they increase the minimum to like >320 acres - KS is gonna get bought up & broke up. I was at auction for a 700 acre+ size farm about 2 months ago in ks. They broke it up into smaller chunks. They had about 40-45 bidders. The last 10 bidders were all NR’s. All the residents baled out, literally, $1k per acre under what it sold for. 4 NR’s bid it $1k over the residents & now that farm is owned by 4 different NR owners. Residents can’t compete. Free market - no doubt. But with so many other states destroyed - the NR’s are glad to spend a fraction per acre to buy in KS where hunting is infinitely better and cheaper than their own states. They better wake up fast & realize there’s a literal army that’s moving their $ to their state. The result will be: residents will be priced out of the game. The parcels will be broke up. The guys from ruined states will shoot the best genetic younger bucks in many cases “that’s a giant where I come from!” & KS residents will be scratching their heads how fast their state was ruined and how they have no where to go. Wake up KS!!!! Same with Ohio!!! Or Illinois, KY, etc. Illinois is already a goner.
KS needs to increase the amount of acres from 80 to 320++ (maybe grandfather in all current 80 acre owners & change for new NRLO’s)…. doesn’t mean no NR’s but sure limits it and keeps the ground from getting broke up into million chunks…. & Hold super tight on their tag allocation to NR’s. For the sake of the residents - it needs to be limited to about 6,000 like iowa. Or- I am 10000% sure how this movie ends if they don’t prioritize those that live & vote there. I’m saying this as a GUEST of KS & states like this. It’s not in my best interest to say it but I have to be honest & want what’s best for their resource!! Wake up KS!!!!

Well states Skip. GREEDY people ruin everything.
I fixed it- slight tweak! There’s wealthy folks doing great things on land. There’s folks in middle class who ruin land. Probably most of those listings, those people….. they have a few choices… “I can let people hunt”. “I can lease it out to a couple guys & make a good amount of $ - maybe enough to pay taxes ++”. Then- u have what we see above…. “I can whore my land out. At the expense of the resource & screw over all my neighbors that enjoy hunting & TAKE TAKE TAKE!!!!” All the $ anyone could possibly dream up to maximize….. like, the 45 acres for $400 PER DAY!!! Ok- how many mature bucks are on your average 40 acres??? Maybe 1???? & they would gladly take 10, 20, 30, 50 hunters if they can find enough suckers to pay for it!!! If even 10-20% are “successful” - they ruin the land. If it’s completely raped & neighbors hunting are flushed down the toilet- who cares!?!?!?! U loaded your pocket with $!!!! THAT is GREED!!!!!!!! THAT is a mindset I simply have zero respect for. They can do as they please & that’s the free market but …. What a shame. Hopefully those folks end up selling their land to someone that doesn’t want to rape it. Those types of landowners are better suited owning a motel u can pay by the hour to “stay at”. ;)

Top Bottom