Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting today or Not??

Bonnett35

Just looking for a lil advice if I should hunt in this weather tonight. I get off at 130 and a can be in the stand at 230... Its about a 15mph ESE wind. 34 degrees. light rain/freezing rain. What is everyones experience in this type of weather. Sit on food plot or in timber?? Or just wait till tom morning??? Thanks for your input:way:

Pretty nasty freezing rain here...if you're thinking of a treestand, you'll want to use extra caution and take along a ziploc bag of salt.

I've only got a doe tag left, so I'm sitting this one out :drink2:

NWBuck

I hunted this morning for 4 hours.High 20's with 20+ mph hour winds.But no rain or drizzle yet.I saw nothing.I will be going back out this afternoon.Dressed warmer.I think the deer should be moving early if at all.I always have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to the shape of my stand platform to put down if it's icy.Not only doe it keep you from slipping around,it make it a lot quieter than crunching icy.

Freezing rain sounds crappy.
34 degrees sounds Hot (About 60 degrees warmer than here today) ...get out there.

I'm at work or else I'd be out there trying my luck! Like Iowa_Buckeye said, "you can't kill anything from the couch!"

went out this morning and didnt see much. They might be moving a little. I've heard that deer dont like freezing rain and sleet. I am just waiting for the morning. if ya go good luck. "We are giving away dirt naps and lollipops and we are all out of lollipops!!!"

We wait all year for this time of year.. Get out there and get to huntin.. A friend of mine seen 12 this morning roaming around. Maybe you'll stumble on to one that just broke up with a doe wandering around depressed in the rain.

:mad:Well I went out in the stand from130-430 and got cold so I went for a slow walk. Conditions were perfect. About 5 pm I see a monster 10 about 150yrds moving my way fast. I try to duck in a lil thicket but he was on me 10yrs away within 15 seconds. lookin rite at me knowing I wasn't supposed to be there. Blew ran through the thicket I was in and stopped at 20yrds. Let the arrow fly, he jumped with his back arched like I hit him good but maybe a lil far back. I seen him again about 50 yrds away his tail down and moving slow but still moving. So I backed out and went to the truck. Get in the truck and it starts to downpour for like 3-5 mins! It had done nothing but drizzle all day! So I head to a buddys house get changed bullshit awhile and head back out 3 hours later to look. We have headlights and spotlights 3 guys total. Couldn't find my arrow or one drop of blood!!!:( I was positive I had hit him. He was headed for some tall grass and a deep ditch when I last seen him. Like I said tail was straight down and he was moving slow. Well we looked and looked but kept it to about a 300 yard radius. Didn't find anything. Got back to the truck and coyotes started howling about 200yrd from where we quit looking so maybe they found him for me? Couldnt make it out yesterday as I had to travel for Thanksgiving and can't make it today as I work till dark. So I will look for awhile on sat. This has been a terrible year. Very frusterating for me. Have not seen near the deer I did last year or any year for that matter. I don't recall the last time I have felt this bad and been so depressed. And its all over bowhunting! lol:p Oh well all I can do is keep at it!

OHHHH....I forget to mention in my post earlier.NEVER TAKE AN IFFY SHOT IN THE RAIN.You need to get back out and look for that buck.A 300yd radius is not nealy enough looking.

Its wasn't an iffy shot, it was an open lane and I would take that shot anyday. The only reason I did a 300yrd radius is cuz if he wasn't dead I didn't want to bump him at night. It was right at the end of shooting light and I just didn't get a good look at where I hit him. I will be back out tom mornining to look I just didn't want to bump him off the property that night if he was laying down.

Good luck to ya and hope you find him. I never got the impression it was an iffy shot and nobody wants to lose a deer so get after it in the morning and good luck! Hope to see some harvest pics soon.

OHHHH....I forget to mention in my post earlier.NEVER TAKE AN IFFY SHOT IN THE RAIN.You need to get back out and look for that buck.A 300yd radius is not nealy enough looking.

Mike Beatty took an iffy shot at a giant nontypical in the rain. The WR bowkill now hangs on his wall. I do agree however that 300yd radius is not enough.

Thanks, yeah it just makes me sick. Actually loosing sleep over it. It will still bother me if I find him. I hunt for the love of the sport and for the meat on the bones. I buy a buck tag and usually 2 doe tags, although this year I got 1 since I believe deer numbers are down in my neck of the woods. So I kill first mature doe I see to put meat in the freezer. Then I rack hunt till the end of Nov every year. At the end of Nov if I don't have it filled i take another doe and fill it. Sure I would love to have a monster buck down every year, but that isn't why I hunt. I know his meat will not go to waste as nature will take its course, but I feel like he deserves better.

Like I said earlier the 300yrd radius was incase he was bedded down and dying. i didn't want to bump him off the property to the next a#$holes property. Literally the guy is a class A a$$. If on his property it will just make everything difficult. If possible I wanted him on our property. Maybe it was a mistake but that the judgement call I made that night after not finding squat.

Like I said earlier the 300yrd radius was incase he was bedded down and dying. i didn't want to bump him off the property to the next a#$holes property. Literally the guy is a class A a$$. If on his property it will just make everything difficult. If possible I wanted him on our property. Maybe it was a mistake but that the judgement call I made that night after not finding squat.

Good Luck! I have a piece I hunt where the neighbor is one of those too! :thrwrck: Sooner or later I will shoot a deer and it wil run over and die on his property! I'll just call DNR first! :way:

Top Bottom