Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hypothetical: if money was no object

I’d buy a COUNTY! :). Get hundreds of dudes I know & trust to manage sections of it- on full time salary with bonus’ paid on results. Strict rules on age, shooting mgmt bucks, does, doing food plots & habitat work, etc. We’d take in hundreds or thousands of free hunters but have to shoot based on plan/right deer.
I personally think, when I own my own county…. I’d have multiple deer 250” EVERY YEAR. Think it’d take a decade & it would produce a 300” deer. Those sound like “insane claims”…. & I agree they are. But @ 500 square miles, we’d be about 320,000 acres. Would have 1-2 full time guys per square mile perfecting things. Unlimited supplemental feed. 100 acres of diverse plots per square mile. Proper doe shooting. Aggressive Tsi practices.
Talked to Elon earlier today…. He’s interested & I need to make the calls to see if i could get several thousand land owners to name their price!!!
Even if we had to do $20k per acre for brushy junk land in worst counties…. It’s still only $6.4 billion dollars!!!!!! :) ;)
Now this is how you dream big!

Cmon people with your "fishing ponds" ;)

I’d buy a COUNTY! :). Get hundreds of dudes I know & trust to manage sections of it- on full time salary with bonus’ paid on results. Strict rules on age, shooting mgmt bucks, does, doing food plots & habitat work, etc. We’d take in hundreds or thousands of free hunters but have to shoot based on plan/right deer.
I personally think, when I own my own county…. I’d have multiple deer 250” EVERY YEAR. Think it’d take a decade & it would produce a 300” deer. Those sound like “insane claims”…. & I agree they are. But @ 500 square miles, we’d be about 320,000 acres. Would have 1-2 full time guys per square mile perfecting things. Unlimited supplemental feed. 100 acres of diverse plots per square mile. Proper doe shooting. Aggressive Tsi practices.
Talked to Elon earlier today…. He’s interested & I need to make the calls to see if i could get several thousand land owners to name their price!!!
Even if we had to do $20k per acre for brushy junk land in worst counties…. It’s still only $6.4 billion dollars!!!!!! :) ;)
Let me know where to send my job application

You say that is crazy, but I worked for Ted Turner on Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. We had a whole Natural Resources Department with foresters and fisheries and wildlife biologists. Almost 600,000 acres (920 square miles). Managed for mature bull elk and an overall healthy herd. We hunted several and killed a 400" bull elk almost every year (kinda like a 250" buck) and they kill a 440ish" bull once a decade or so (equivalent to a 300" whitetail?). Not unfathomable at all and budget is a concern there... :D

Ditto! I have had the same thought.

You say that is crazy, but I worked for Ted Turner on Vermejo Park Ranch in New Mexico. We had a whole Natural Resources Department with foresters and fisheries and wildlife biologists. Almost 600,000 acres (920 square miles). Managed for mature bull elk and an overall healthy herd. We hunted several and killed a 400" bull elk almost every year (kinda like a 250" buck) and they kill a 440ish" bull once a decade or so (equivalent to a 300" whitetail?). Not unfathomable at all and budget is a concern there... :D
Is that also called the Ladder Ranch? Thats where they held mountain lion workshops for the game departments of the east.

I’ve followed a bit of ted turner’s land buying for a long time!!! That’s the imagination I’ve had forever. & Why that documentary “Wild Life” where Patagonia founder put together millions of acres was so great!!! (MUST WATCH!!!!)
So- Z Bar Ranch in SC KANSAS! Check that rascal out. Around like 35,000 acres. Clearly it’s not near big enough for the county I’m going to buy. But pretty cool.
All earthly possessions but I’d still make sure it was protected best I could…. National park or a conservation trust.

Biggest contiguous private farm in iowa is 4,500 acres. I’m only looking to put together a bit more than 100x that size. :)

I’ve followed a bit of ted turner’s land buying for a long time!!! That’s the imagination I’ve had forever. & Why that documentary “Wild Life” where Patagonia founder put together millions of acres was so great!!! (MUST WATCH!!!!)
So- Z Bar Ranch in SC KANSAS! Check that rascal out. Around like 35,000 acres. Clearly it’s not near big enough for the county I’m going to buy. But pretty cool.
All earthly possessions but I’d still make sure it was protected best I could…. National park or a conservation trust.

Biggest contiguous private farm in iowa is 4,500 acres. I’m only looking to put together a bit more than 100x that size. :)
Let me know what county so I can buy a 160 on the border

Top Bottom