Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I am interested in trapping next year

Chiro,

I live on 80 acres. Last year I ran 7 220 connibears and 12 dp's from Jan. 1 to Feb. 28. I didn't trap every day but I would guess 80% of the days I had my traps set. I caught 50 total critters. 34 coon and the rest were skunks and possums.

This year, same land and time frame but I ran 13 220 conni's and 18 dp's. I caught 51 critters. 32 coons, 2 bobcats, and the rest were skunks and possum. All my traps were set within 200 yards of the house and I never moved them.

I used dry cat food for the dp's and canned cat food(cheapest I could find or kitchen scraps for the conni's.

I got into trapping because I had not seen any turkey poults for 2 years but loads of coons when I was sitting in the tree. I want turkeys and thought it would help them out nesting. Last year we had at least 34 poults running around the clover patches at one time with 4 hens. If the trapping didn't help I would be surprised. I am expecting even better results this spring/summer.

The fur has more than paid for my traps and the turkey numbers are priceless.

Go for it and have fun. I recommend hooking up with a NAFA fur depot and sell your furs at their auctions. They have been real good to me.

Learn how to skin them and if you can't finish them find a trapper who can do it for you. Perhaps your fur depot person can help you out in that area.

My experience would resemble what Retiredmurph wrote. I hadn't trapped in years until about 3 years ago when I waded back into it. The trapping fever has now returned though and I plan on setting more than just my place next year.

I have 180 acres and a few years back it was nothing to see a 1/2 dozen coon or possum on an evening sit in the deer timber. I think I saw 9 coons one morning on a turkey hunt too. A corn pile in the winter would have as many as 8-10+ coons on it sometimes. Tracks and scat were everywhere in the creeks and likely den trees.

Then the fever started and I started small with a couple of live traps and a couple of dog proofs. We would go 3/4 or 4/4 almost every time we had the traps out, a mix of coons and possums mainly, with the odd skunk or cat thrown in. I slowly added to the "line" :grin: each of the past 2 years and at times had approximately 15-18 traps out at times this past fall.

The first year, 3 years ago, we got around 25-30+ coons, a roughly equal number of grinners, a couple skunks, a badger and probably 6-8 kitty cats. Similar #'s in year two and then down a little this past year, 2012-13. All this on just 180 acres.

Ironically, although my catch was down this past year I think it has much more to do with the fact that we have impacted the population. Also, adjacent neighbors have also gotten into trapping in the past couple of years too, each with similar results. I believe I can see an improvement in ground nesting success with pheasants and turkeys too.

There is also the excitement part of trapping that is hard to beat. This past season I caught a coyote one morning and I shot him and decided to check the rest of the line and pick him up on the way back to the house, Well by the time I got back to the yote I had the back of the 4 wheeler full of fur so I just tossed him across the front rack with his head and front feet dangleing along my right leg and I held on to his rear legs with my left hand to keep him in place. Half way back to the house that dude raised his head and did a little growl (I think he even winked at me)I slammed on the brakes let go of his back legs and watched him fly off the front and flop around on the ground until I could get my gun out and loaded to put an end to things. Nothing like a little excitement to keep you coming back.

I can't speak for trapping in IA but in WI fur prices are up, but like most have said the sheer volume of species is down. The best bang for your buck for selling to to go through a canadian dealer, especially with the way the fur buying market is now a days. If you are looking to sell whole carcasses then you may have to find a local buyer or midwest buyer. However, is you dress/hang/stretch on your own then look into canada for the best prices. Just my .2

Top Bottom