Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I am interested in your opinion

firepoggy

Is the cost of an auto-loading shotgun justified over a pump?

example: 11-87 SuperMag vs 887 NitroMag

The 11-87 with both barrels is roughly twice the cost of the 887 with both barrels and a pound heavier.

well im a dutchman so, no.:D i use my dad's old auto for pheasant and dove but my turkey gun is pump. for adverse weather conditions a pump is far more reliable. but the ease of use in an auto is worth something also. imho

In my honest opinion. If you can't kill it with a pump shotgun. You probably won't kill it with an auto. I also own 5 different model 870's. Set up for different applications. And I've never once felt under gunned. The thought " if only I was shooting an auto" has never crossed my mind. In my mind the reliability far out weighs the small increase in follow up shots. And I do own a few autos. Old school 1100's that I rarely use.
Now if I was heading to Argentina to shoot 5000 shells at doves then Maybe I'd think twice, probably still tote a pump gun

Depends on the situation and the gun. I will take my Beretta Xtrema II over anything else out there. I use and abuse this gun during waterfowl season and have never had a problem, the gun is super light, the most durable out there in terms of weather conditions and a work horse.

Now if you were to ask me the same thing about an 870 and an 11-87, I would probably take the 870, especially the newer models, the 11-87 just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Kratz

I don't deer hunt with a shotgun anymore, so this answer applies primarily to using a shotgun for wing shooting. Two reasons I think an autoloader is definitely worth the price.

1. Quicker target acquisition for follow up shots.
2. Reduced recoil, which relates to #1 as well.

Once I bought a Gold Hunter my 870 rarely makes it out of the gun case. Usually only about once a year just to say I shot a pheasant with it. I'm sure the 2 items above would apply if you were using a shotgun to deer hunt as well...

NWBuck

I am an owner of all Remington's 870, 887, 1100, and 11/87. I would go semi auto all the way. Better to keep concentration on target for follow up shot. Especially bird hunting. Needless to say I for some reason are more accurate with my autos also.

pheasant? aren't those on the endangered list now?:D unless wingshooting, pump all the way. esp if you shotgun deer, dont freeze up as easy as auto in my opinion. when i used to go mine always worked all the autos seemed to freeze in extreme weather. maybe i just take care of mine better?

I am the opposite for deer I would want an auto topped with a cantilever barrel. Never had an issue.

For turkey it doesn't really matter. One shot with hevi shot they are down.

For pheasants I have killed a pile with a pump and killed a pile with an auto. Never saw a benefit to one or the other.

For crow I always liked and an auto because usually a ton would come in.

For duck I always liked an auto but rarely took one as they usually got wet and muddy.

I would imagine dove hunting I would want a pump because I might shoot too much with an auto.

For rabbit and squirrel well I gues I would take a .22 lol.

I almost felt like with a pump I was better on a follow up shot. Seemed like I rush shoot with an auto.

Personal preference for everyone.

I have both an 870 and 1187.

The 870 has a lot of dust on it :D

10 years from now will you regret spending the extra $300? Probably not

Would you always think about the auto if you bought the pump? I am willing to bet yes.....

Spend the money and don't regret it!

Give me an auto for waterfowl every time! quicker follow-up shots.
for turkeys i just switched back to an 870 from an auto....you only need one shot!
for deer, i don't use a shotgun, but i don't think it would matter a whole lot.
for upland birds, i personally love my over-under, but think i would choose an auto over a pump.

Top Bottom