Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I could vomit

Didn't see a thing this morning. Went and got my tires balances on my truck and the oil changed. Went home and took a nap and was back in the stand by 3:15.

3:30 I hear deer running. All I see is a big rack running a doe right towards me about 200 yards away. 15 seconds later, they're right on top of me. The buck stops broadside at 15 yards and I'm already at full draw. I lean out just a tad so that I didn't hit a cedar tree branch. Let the arrow fly only to see it hit high, forward, and penetrate very little. He takes off running and runs over the hill about 80 yards away. Looked for some blood at last light, found none. Found my arrow broken off about 15 yards from where he stood when I shot him. There's about 5 inches of arrow missing plus the broadhead, so 6-7 inches I suppose.

I really thought that I hit in front of the shoulder and high, at the base of the neck. But with only that much penetration, it makes me think I hit the top, front part of the shoulder. Going to look around tomorrow morning. I didn't push the deer at all. I guess all I can do is pray that I hit some sort of artery and he laid down and expired, but I'm not too optomistic.

The even worst of it is 5 minutes (or less) after all that happened, I had a 145-150 inch mainframe 10 pointer come right in as well. I held off, as I didn't know if I was going to recover the first buck or not. He winded me after standing there at 15 yards confused for a minute or 2. I could have easily drawn on this deer as he walked in and had a nice, easy (easier said than done I've found out) 15 yard 'chip shot' at him.

What's my chances of finding this deer? Like I said, I thought I hit the dead center of his neck at the base (thickest part of the neck), but with only that much penetration it makes me think I struck the shoulder. I'm just sick right now. Not only did I not make an easy shot, but I even had another shooter come in 5 minutes later. I almost feel like I wish I had missed him clean, then I could have let an arrow fly on the 2nd buck. The deer I shot was 10-15 inches bigger than the 2nd one that came in.

From the sounds of it that deer will live to see another day. Do everything you can though to find him just in case or you'll always second guess yourself.

I would say it's 50-50. Never know, there are alot of arteries if you hit to far forward, high and forward is not good, unless you were up fairly high and angled it down into him good.

Did you hear a loud crack on impact?

Did he keep chasing the doe?

Did he tuck his tail or raise the flag?

Fixed broadhead and what poundage you shooting?

I would go sit that same stand in the morning for a couple hours....you might see him, sounds like he was cutting a doe off and herding her to your area for breeding. Otherwise, understand you won't find squat for blood until you catch up to where he stopped. Think about where the doe ran to and where he ran to, walk the trails for blood. And be very alert for kicking up deer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Slice and Dice, it was all a 30 second blur from when I saw hit to when he went over the hill.

I don't remember the sound the arrow made when it hit the deer.

He did not keep chasing the doe. The doe went west and he went south straight down the ridge over top a rise.

I believe he had his tail up (not a good sign I know), but I'm not certain on that.

I'm shooting an Ultratec set at 60 lb. with a Muzzy mx-4 broadhead.

Slice and Dice, it was all a 30 second blur from when I saw hit to when he went over the hill.

I don't remember the sound the arrow made when it hit the deer.

He did not keep chasing the doe. The doe went west and he went south straight down the ridge over top a rise.

I believe he had his tail up (not a good sign I know), but I'm not certain on that.

I'm shooting an Ultratec set at 60 lb. with a Muzzy mx-4 broadhead.

And yes, I'm going to sit the stand for a few hours in the morning. My buddy who is a much more experience tracker and bowhunter in general than I is going to come out around 9 or 10 and we're going to start looking.

My buddy shot a 160inch 10pt on video last week high. The arrow entered about 3inches below the top of the back @ 26yards with an average angle. The buck sprinted 300yards out of sight. The arrow passed through and had a decent amount of blood on it. We looked for the buck for the entire afternoon in every nook and cranny we could find without any luck.

High hits aren't good, but there are so many variables to them. A deer hit on one lung can live for quite some time.

Good luck, and I really hope you find him, but I have never had good luck in doing so.

Man- That's heart breaking. Let us know if you find the buck. My dad hit one with a muzzleloader in the neck in 2006 and it barely went 40 yards. Without seeing your exact shot placement, it's hard to say.

A muzzleloader has a lot more kinetic energy and the wound channel is alot bigger than with an arrow.

Good your using a fixed blade....any sign of him? If he was a hurting unit you would have kicked him up and found some bloody beds. It's been cold I would keep looking for him (dead or alive) for a few days. Keep sitting that stand too. I had two buddies last year shoot bucks high in the straps. BOTH of them killed the same deer they origionally hit out of their same stands 3 and 5 days later.

Started to find good blood 100 yards from where I shot him. It stayed good for 30 yards, then started getting more sparse. After about 125 yards of blood, we lost it completely. Some of the blood brihgt red and still moist, some was dark and completely dry. Found a few 'chunks' of blood, like the wound was clotting up maybe?! Walked a couple hundred yards in every direction from where we lost blood. Had a big buck trot away from us about 100 yards away, could have been him. It was a big fella. I went up to where I saw that deer and looked for blood. Nothing. We didn't find any spots where the deer had bedded down. Just good blood fro a while that trickled down to nothing 100-125 yards from the first blood.

Slice and Dice, I would do anything to either find this deer or get another crack at him.

My guess is he is probably in a thicket in the timber or on a ditch leading into a river, dead. Usually run to the real thick stuff or creek ditches leading to a river. Good luck to you.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Some of the better blood.

76290_563687620404_207302576_32737468_2853401_n.jpg

150395_563687730184_207302576_32737469_5286939_n.jpg

Those muscles shots can bleed like crazy and then just stop on a dime.
Keep looking for him but there is a chance he will recover. I have been there, in fact I think we all have at some point. Sometimes it just happens that way even when we do everything else right, and the best thing we can do is learn from it and become better bowhunters.

Lets us know what happens, but playing the "what if" game with bow hunting is a mind game you will never win..... trust me:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom