Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I must be the only one...

Thefrgt10

PMA Member
I must be the only one who actually enjoys the gamey taste of everything I am lucky enough to harvest and eat.

Nothing against all of you that add beef or do everything they can to mask the gamey taste. I myself have done a few of the recipes on here and enjoyed them all, but man to me there is just nothing better then some fresh deer loin or pheasant rolled in a lil flour and pepper and thrown in the skillet. Or a big ole deer roast cooking all day with some potatoes and carrots.

Damn Im hungry all of a sudden.

I like the tenderloin but ill admit- I'm not a fan of deer burger. Did have me some fried pheasant & rabbit last week I shot. That was great.

I'm with you on the game meat taste. Its "Game Meat" its SUPPOSED to taste gamey! I have in-laws that soak ALL of their deer in milk or buttermilk before frying it up to remove the gamey taste. Why? Because they don't like the gamey taste! More than once I've said "If you don't like the gamey taste of game meat, buy beef. Its not gamey!" The stares I get in return! Luckily for me, I ran into a buddy yesterday afternoon and he had three packages of elk burger for me. Going to make a pot-o-chili with one package tomorrow and then elk burgers this weekend. Come on over for some elk chili!!!

I enjoy a good deer steak like the rest of ya- because I stuffed it with other items and wrapped it in bacon doesn't mean some of us don't care for the gamey flavor- we are just enjoying mixing it up and trying new recipes.

BDAHMS I wasnt trying to put anyone down here and like I said Ive tried alot of different things on here and like alot of them. I actually plan on trying what you put on here at some point because it looks amazing. You didnt mash up your loin and add beef or pork to it. Its still deer steak. I guess I was more talking about those who do everything they can to mask that gamey taste like it was refered to above about soaking the meat in milk or just mixing it with something to the point that you cant even taste that its deer or whatever else any longer.

I realize that not everyone hunts only for the meat as well tho. We all have our motives. I can tell you right now that if I didnt enjoy deer meat I would still be in a tree stand every year because of the shear joy that being out in the timber brings me.

To each their own...wasn't trying to start a war because I can see it from all angles here.

The ,"Gamey", statement means,"It doesn't taste like beef or pork. I always say it is not supposed to taste like beef,,,it's deer. Now some meat I have had tastes ,"Strong". that is something else. Some game meat is not taken care of properly,,cooled fast,,bled out good,I had a strong rutting Moose once. Still not bad. But most people that do not like deer, are just used to beef and have no adventure of the pallet. Deer in Iowa, taste somewhat different than deer from Northern MI. Eating twigs compared to corn and soybeans does make a difference, but I LOVE the taste. I like beef too, but I like variety!

BDAHMS I wasnt trying to put anyone down here and like I said Ive tried alot of different things on here and like alot of them. I actually plan on trying what you put on here at some point because it looks amazing. You didnt mash up your loin and add beef or pork to it. Its still deer steak. I guess I was more talking about those who do everything they can to mask that gamey taste like it was refered to above about soaking the meat in milk or just mixing it with something to the point that you cant even taste that its deer or whatever else any longer.

I realize that not everyone hunts only for the meat as well tho. We all have our motives. I can tell you right now that if I didnt enjoy deer meat I would still be in a tree stand every year because of the shear joy that being out in the timber brings me.

To each their own...wasn't trying to start a war because I can see it from all angles here.

I understand your side and I guess I came off wrong as well- definitely wasn't meaning to sound defensive- was just explaining from the other side of mixing it up as well. I agree with the soaking and what not- and like you said- to each their own-

I also agree with loneranger in the fact that it doesn't taste like beef or pork, because after eating only deer in meals for a few years we had chili with ground beef the other day and I actually thought it tasted quite different. lol.

I will say I do soak certain fish in buttermilk to get the "fishy" flavor out of it:)

It just depends with me. Old bucks that I've gotten are a little to strong for my taste and those usually go to the lock and get made into sausage and jerky. A nice fat doe we mix the burger with 85% lean hamburger from the store 50/50 and that is good. Loins I don't tamper with except sometimes wrap with bacon.

After you eat deer burger for a while, beef starts to taste strange so its definitely just what you're used to what you're not used to. We ran out of deer burger like in August last year and I grilled hamburgers one night and they tasted weird.

Top Bottom