Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ice Fishing Farm Ponds

Elitebowhunter

Anyone doing this? Been out a couple times to some of our farm ponds. Caught several bluegill's and crappie. I know the pond has some monster bass as I caught them this summer. So, what would you use to catch bass through the ice? Minnows?

cant beat a small jig with a wax worm. GULP minnow heads work great too for bass. Minnows are always good. Id go with a little bigger presentation if you are specifically targeting bass, just as a generalization.

Good luck!

For bass I use anything. They hit it all. My favorite is along the shoreline, about 3' below the hole I have a big live minnow on a tiny hook. Rig some splitshot about 18" up from the minnow to hold him down but giving him room to swim. Make sure it's a good swimmer & open the bail on your reel. Bass love to hammer a lonely minnow.

Live minnow about a foot from the bottom. Use the smallest jig head you have or just a bare hook so it can swim around easily. Just let it sit. May take a minute. May take 20.

I do really well with frosties and a minnow head or buckshot with a minnow head, usually im fishing for crappies and bass hit.

thanks for the good feedback. Went out today with minnows and wax worms. Caught a dozen or so crappie on the minnows and bluegills on the wax worms. No bass surprisingly. About a foot of ice around here btw

Bass historically are not "biters" in winter. They dont move much and dont have to eat much. now, I know someone will say they catch them all the time, but I am talking based on my aquatic biology degree that bass are not easy to catch during the winter. Fish small and very slowly. good luck

we hit a pond last week that may hold nothing but bass. the rapala ice jig were working the best

Top Bottom