Info on hunting in Iowa

Danno1956

I am looking for some help on hunting in Iowa. I live in Maine and I have 2 brothers and we are interested in coming there to hunt. We have hunted in Illinois for a few years, but would like to try something different. We are interested in a DIY hunt. If anyone could help me out with some info on public land I would appreciate it. I am curious if there is any public land in the SE or eastern part of the state that would be a good bet to hunt. I don't know if this is the best part of the state to hunt , but it would be the closest drive for us. I wouldn't be opposed to look at any opportunity in any part of the state, but would prefer the eastern part of the state. We have bought points for the last 2 years so upon applying this spring we would be going into the draw with 3 points. My understanding is we would stand a pretty good chance of getting drawn. I don't have enough vacation time to come out in the summer and look around like I'd like to, so I'd like to come out on a public land hunt and possibly make some contacts for private land while we are there. I would like to thank you in advance for any help that anyone could provide.

Wildlife Management areas

Any information I could give you on hunting public ground would be seriously out of date. I think the last time I hunted public ground was 1986. While in college, a friend and I drove from Iowa City to Shimek State forest for deer and turkey hunting. We weren't bow hunters at the time, so we hunted Shimek during the shotgun deer season.
shocked.gif
Let's just say it was an experience. I would think bow hunting might be more enjoyable.

Look at the DNR link, there is also some pretty decent public land in NE Iowa from what I hear.

THe Sportmans Altas is a big help. I did the same thing your tring to do last year solo, no problem. I would bow hunt NE Iowa. I say I haven't been to heaven but for 9 days in Iowa I was close. Were I come from, if it has an antler it's in the truck, so you can imagine what Iowa was like to me. I don't think many guys want to talk about a good thing, I know I sure wouldn't tell you if I was an Iowan. I found coming from out-a-state a little tough to get private ground, but the good thing is there public is better than private in MI. Don't know about Maine? Good Luck that's a long drive

maybe its just me but I shoot bucks on public land and the reason I am able to do it is because I put in the time. If ya cant do that than you are wasting your time. unless you can find a buddy here to kind of guide you. I dont know how long you plan on hunting but I can tell you just showing up for a week is not going to get yoyu a good public land buck. but who knows ITS IOWA!!
grin.gif
We have a field of dreams.

Back