Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Insulation advise

I'm planning on building a pole barn style building with living quarters and was looking for ideas on what's the best insulation method. I've been tooling around on the net and see numerous options but would like to hear some personal experiences.

Thanks in advance

the spray foam is a great way to go but make sure you talk to the contractor about if he has ever done metal before and if there is a chance of the foam bowing the steel out

spray foam would be the way to go .send me a pm on what part of southeast iowa you are in .i know a couple guys that do it in se iowa.if nothing else you could talk to them and get there input.

I am putting up a building this winter and have decided to go with spray foam. I have a few friends that have done it and swear by it. It seals the building better from air leaks and should save you money down the road. But it is quiet pricey, my quote for my 50x32 shop was $8000 with closed cell foam.

I am a project manager for a contractor in des moines, we build a ton of post frame buildings. i would recomend either the spray foam which should cost around $2.30 a sqft for a 8" thick wall. Another way to do it is to use an insulated panel for the living area, they are weather, air tight, and fast to install. you can also use traditional bat insulation inside the posts and install ridgid insulation between the exterior purlins, tape, caulk, and tyvek does a nice job sealing that up.. Spend the extra money on an energy heal truss, and seal up every possible place for air infiltration (thats the key)
If you need some more help or questions i can also assist you in finding suppliers and subcontractors just shoot me a pm.

I'm planning on building a pole barn style building with living quarters and was looking for ideas on what's the best insulation method. I've been tooling around on the net and see numerous options but would like to hear some personal experiences.

Thanks in advance

I am a project manager for a contractor in des moines, we build a ton of post frame buildings. i would recomend either the spray foam which should cost around $2.30 a sqft for a 8" thick wall. Another way to do it is to use an insulated panel for the living area, they are weather, air tight, and fast to install. you can also use traditional bat insulation inside the posts and install ridgid insulation between the exterior purlins, tape, caulk, and tyvek does a nice job sealing that up.. Spend the extra money on an energy heal truss, and seal up every possible place for air infiltration (thats the key)
If you need some more help or questions i can also assist you in finding suppliers and subcontractors just shoot me a pm.

I am in the process of building a modest sized cabin on my farm and it is a steel sided, post and beam construction building. I installed 1-1/2" rigid foam siding(R7) between the purlins, then filled all seams and gaps with the spray foam in a can insulation, then studded out the walls in between the vertical posts and added traditional 3-1/2" thick fiberglass batts(R13) with a facing on the inside for a vapor barrier. I taped a few seams that needed it and from what I can tell I have a VERY air tight gig going. :)

I was leaning towards going with the spray in foam style, but by my calculations it would have been quite a bit more expensive yet than the route I went. If I was insulating a house that I was heating and living in all the time, I would probably go with the spray in foam, despite the cost differential.

Although it is probably too late for me...what is an energy heal truss?

we built our home in our barn using standard 2x4 walls and 2x6 ceiling joist.insulated walls w/r19and blew the attic w/bag insulation. our barn is insulated with foil backed bubble insulation standard to this type of building be sure to insulate the whole building, ceiling too,this type of application goes on when the building goes up..a lot cheaper than foam and your living area is super insulated. our garage is in one end and living quarters .(ours is a four bedroom) in the other. why spend the xtra cash to foam the ins. the garage.

Thanks guys for all the helpful advise. From what most of you guys and others I've asked the foam is the best route to go but I'm thinking it's going to be way outta my price range. As Daver stated if I was building this to live in full time I would definitely go with the foam but this is just going to be used as my man cave so I'm on a tighter budget.

swiowahunter what is an energy heal truss?

Thanks again guys. Keep the advise coming

Top Bottom