Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interseeding clover into corn???

Finished up my corn plot today! Just wondering if anyone here has interseeded annual clover when the corn reaches V4- V6. Any tips or suggestions for success?
IMG_1095.jpeg

If u can pull it off… u r legit!!! Very hard to do IMO. I remember dbltree used to do it with white clovers & just use a several good gly applications. Clearly it burns up the clovers but they will bounce back. I’ve overseeded some when corn is drying down earlier in season.
Another way I’ve seen done is band spraying the rows of corn & not the center of rows of course.
Another thing I’ve done a million times…. Over seeding rye in September. Or if corn matures in time… brassicas. All work great. I think a lot of this will explode with use of drones.

Here’s a cool vid….

If u can pull it off… u r legit!!! Very hard to do IMO. I remember dbltree used to do it with white clovers & just use a several good gly applications. Clearly it burns up the clovers but they will bounce back. I’ve overseeded some when corn is drying down earlier in season.
Another way I’ve seen done is band spraying the rows of corn & not the center of rows of course.
Another thing I’ve done a million times…. Over seeding rye in September. Or if corn matures in time… brassicas. All work great. I think a lot of this will explode with use of drones.

Here’s a cool vid….
My neighbor is getting a drone for commercial spraying so I’m hoping that can be useful in the future…. Might try it on 60 inch rows too

My neighbor is getting a drone for commercial spraying so I’m hoping that can be useful in the future…. Might try it on 60 inch rows too
This is one where they seeded in clovers to existing corn. I think this won’t be needed with advances in drone use. Probably more hassle than most ambitious folks even willing to do But still interesting. The whole idea has other solutions as well. For plots- the game is so much different because heck, u could use a bag spreader & “it took a couple hours”. Not a big deal. I am absolutely excited for drone technology advancing in ag. The cover crops PLUS spraying without having to be in a sprayer or exposed to it…. That’s a HUGE change that’s coming (already here but getting better each day).

2 other ?’s….
1) how many acres u dealing with there u want to do this stuff on?
2) how u like that Massey? I’ve never driven a Massey that size. Just bigger ones. Curious how u like it and how it’s treated u?

This is one where they seeded in clovers to existing corn. I think this won’t be needed with advances in drone use. Probably more hassle than most ambitious folks even willing to do But still interesting. The whole idea has other solutions as well. For plots- the game is so much different because heck, u could use a bag spreader & “it took a couple hours”. Not a big deal. I am absolutely excited for drone technology advancing in ag. The cover crops PLUS spraying without having to be in a sprayer or exposed to it…. That’s a HUGE change that’s coming (already here but getting better each day).

2 other ?’s….
1) how many acres u dealing with there u want to do this stuff on?
2) how u like that Massey? I’ve never driven a Massey that size. Just bigger ones. Curious how u like it and how it’s treated u?

I almost bought an old Van brunt drill to take rows off just for driving over rows just like that. This plot is just about 6 acres of corn so I will probably just broadcast it in this year to test it out when I hit the corn with nitrogen.

The Massey has been my best purchase! Big enough for just about anything I can reasonably want for food plots but also small enough to get around to timber plots and such. Has great features for the price that would probably have cost me 25k more if they were green

Sprays are the big thing- I’ve attempted to avoid some of that do to wanting options. This year I might have to throw in the towel on sprays, last year couldn’t buy a rain drop and this year can’t get it to stop.
That being said- I’ve done radish and brassicas into beans- I feel like corn would be harder just due to height and shade? I think clover would be the easier option by far, and possibly the most success

Sprays are the big thing- I’ve attempted to avoid some of that do to wanting options. This year I might have to throw in the towel on sprays, last year couldn’t buy a rain drop and this year can’t get it to stop.
That being said- I’ve done radish and brassicas into beans- I feel like corn would be harder just due to height and shade? I think clover would be the easier option by far, and possibly the most success
Depends on timing …. If the corn is close to finished & say it’s August or September …. I’ve had really good luck with whatever i overseed. If it’s October…. Rye is still fine for example. Try a few things. Every person finds little things that do or don’t work and certain years & conditions might really favor _______ ?!?!? While other years they flop. But- I bet if u play with a few things u will get one or 2 solid results u will wanna try again. I’d personally try all 3… clovers… see how it goes. Then try brassicas. Then- rye & even mixing in clovers in there or variety of things. Just try to time it right so it as time goes on- corn is done & each day gets more sun to ground.

Top Bottom