Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters Association

The best banquets I attended where before the TV guys and hit the market. True bow hunters like the Wensels, MR James, Fred Asbell, Dr David Samuel,Judy Kovar and many others that loved the sport and not for money. Many of the tv jokers are the problem not the solution. I go to the banquet because it's the right thing to do and that's supporting the IBA.

I just signed up for a 3 year membership via the IBA website. It was quick and easy using paypal. Looking forward to being a member and hopefully keeping Iowa top notch for many years to come.

Last year I joined the IBA for the first time mainly due to the fact that the organization has a lobbyist who is working for hunters issues in the Iowa legislature. Here is my concern; I have not received an email or any correspondence regarding what is going on with the lobbyist or what actions they are taking on in our behalf at the legislature. I have been a member of many other organizations that have lobbyist and they almost drive a guy nuts telling members what's coming up and what they need to be contacting their respective legislators about. In this case I end up hearing more about what is going on in the Iowa Legislature by reading posts from members on the Iowa Whitetail web site than I do from the IBA and it’s lobbyist. I think the IBA organization needs to do a better job of informing members of what is going on and encouraging members to contact their legislators at appropriate times. Having said this I will be renewing and I thank all the IBA folks for there efforts. Keep it up!

Last year I joined the IBA for the first time mainly due to the fact that the organization has a lobbyist who is working for hunters issues in the Iowa legislature. Here is my concern; I have not received an email or any correspondence regarding what is going on with the lobbyist or what actions they are taking on in our behalf at the legislature. I have been a member of many other organizations that have lobbyist and they almost drive a guy nuts telling members what's coming up and what they need to be contacting their respective legislators about. In this case I end up hearing more about what is going on in the Iowa Legislature by reading posts from members on the Iowa Whitetail web site than I do from the IBA and it’s lobbyist. I think the IBA organization needs to do a better job of informing members of what is going on and encouraging members to contact their legislators at appropriate times. Having said this I will be renewing and I thank all the IBA folks for there efforts. Keep it up!

We have an email blast mailing list that does exactly what you describe - describes all the new bills and what is going on in legislature. Goes out quite frequently this time of year. Chances are when you signed up your email wasn't legible or we typed it in wrong. Send me your email address and I will make sure you get put on that list.

You can also check our website for legislative updates. They are all posted to the site so you can keep up with what is going on.

I'm not an Iowa resident....yet... but when I retire from the military in 2.5 years I will be making it my home. For this reason I have an interest in ensuring bow hunting is protected, defended, and promoted in the great state of Iowa.

Is there any opposition to a current non-resident joining?

You can also check our website for legislative updates. They are all posted to the site so you can keep up with what is going on.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but the updates I see are all from 2012. It also appears the list of legislators isn't up to date as I see my cousin is listed as being on the House Natural Resources Committee and she hasn't been in that office for a year or so now.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but the updates I see are all from 2012. It also appears the list of legislators isn't up to date as I see my cousin is listed as being on the House Natural Resources Committee and she hasn't been in that office for a year or so now.

The new website slated to launch hopefully at the Banquet will have all updated info and fresh info - updates will happen much quicker. Give us a couple more weeks to get everything updated.

I just signed up for a 3 year membership. I won't be as active in the IBA as I would like for at least two more years because of my military duty that keeps me away but hopefully every little bit helps.

As far as the IBA being elitist, never ever got that vibe. Honestly, most members are very chatty if you make the tiniest effort to mix with them. I am not active other than trying to get the grassroots stuff out to the non-members. We need to keep in mind that bowhunters are clique oriented by the very nature of bowhunting being mostly a lone sport. We must also note that the IBA is not a club per say but really an association, which brings clubs and non-club hunters together to network with legislators and industry people. With an end result being a better bowhunting experience for all.

The IBA has done a phenomenal job of helping to protect our rights and to protect our deer herd by working with the DNR and legislators. I spoke to the governors son last year at the banquet and felt much better about the direction the governor was going with the future of Iowa bowhunting. That said, he made it clear that it is a very fragile situation. We are always just a few votes away from becoming a Missouri or Pennsylvania situation.

Last edited:
Just saw the latest website reveal. I thought there was going to be a new logo. Did they decide not to update it or when is that happening?

Couple of questions about the banquet. The schedule lists a possible seminar from noon to one, is this happening and what is the topic?

Also it says annual membership meeting at one. Is this open to all members and what does it involve? Is there open discussion with members about some of the ideas that have been suggested in this thread? Would think this would be the best time to actually get member input on several of these ideas.

I know you can't please everyone but I think most would like to feel they have more say in some things. For example banquet dates, locations, etc have been changed but attendance keeps dwindling. I think the leadership needs to reach out to the members to see what they do or don't like and what will bring them out.

Couple of questions about the banquet. The schedule lists a possible seminar from noon to one, is this happening and what is the topic?

Also it says annual membership meeting at one. Is this open to all members and what does it involve? Is there open discussion with members about some of the ideas that have been suggested in this thread? Would think this would be the best time to actually get member input on several of these ideas.

I know you can't please everyone but I think most would like to feel they have more say in some things. For example banquet dates, locations, etc have been changed but attendance keeps dwindling. I think the leadership needs to reach out to the members to see what they do or don't like and what will bring them out.

There is no seminar from noon to 1.

The annual membership meeting is open to anyone. There is definitely an opportunity for any member to voice concern or have an open discussion.

From a banquet attendance standpoint, we have increased attendance this year over the past three years.

The board would appreciate any ideas that the membership has to improve attendance and membership. I know personally I have a big list of ideas that I think would help to improve both.

There is no seminar from noon to 1.

The annual membership meeting is open to anyone. There is definitely an opportunity for any member to voice concern or have an open discussion.

From a banquet attendance standpoint, we have increased attendance this year over the past three years.

The board would appreciate any ideas that the membership has to improve attendance and membership. I know personally I have a big list of ideas that I think would help to improve both.

I'm glad attendance has increased. Just out of curiosity could you post attendance numbers? I'm really curious to know what the difference in attendance is between last year and say ten years ago.

I see they are forecasting snow for saturday, hope that doesn't hurt actual attendance. I think moving it to a later timeslot, say early April, would help avoid weather and then you could really push ticket sales at the deer classic and still have time to get a head count for catering.

Has anyone approached the Drurys about speaking at a banquet in the future. I know they have had discussions with the DNR and found the Web videos interesting. I think they would be good speakers. Are they IBA members?

I remember years back I would see Pat Reeve, the Lakoskys etc at the banquets but haven't seen any if the "celebreties" attending in recent years.

I'm glad attendance has increased. Just out of curiosity could you post attendance numbers? I'm really curious to know what the difference in attendance is between last year and say ten years ago.

I see they are forecasting snow for saturday, hope that doesn't hurt actual attendance. I think moving it to a later timeslot, say early April, would help avoid weather and then you could really push ticket sales at the deer classic and still have time to get a head count for catering.

Has anyone approached the Drurys about speaking at a banquet in the future. I know they have had discussions with the DNR and found the Web videos interesting. I think they would be good speakers. Are they IBA members?

I remember years back I would see Pat Reeve, the Lakoskys etc at the banquets but haven't seen any if the "celebreties" attending in recent years.

In my opinion we have a pretty big name lined up for 2016 and is a person that I think people will be excited to see. That announcement will be made at the banquet.

Top Bottom