Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Cell Camera rules

I like it! Let's continue to do the opposite of others states and make hunting harder while increasing age structure. Iowa will continue to be #1 if they keep this trend going. I heard people complaining from other states by saying more NR hunters will flock to their state now. I say fix your state and that will not be an issue.

So I didn’t listen to all of it yet- but no cameras on public over night and basically no cell cams? That how I heard it?

So, according to the statement from the DNR cell cams would be illegal on private land and public land. I'm not a fan of this at all.

Why the rule change now? Were people complaining? If so, this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Will this be enforced with about as much vigor as the tree stands that have grown into the trees on public land with lanes and trees cut down all around them? The game wardens are clearly too busy and lazy to even do one lap of public land because this issue is rampant on all the pieces of public I hunt.
Or will this be enforced by seizing your cell cam data from your service provider if they receive an anonymous tip? I could see it going either way depending on how heavy handed they want to be or how big the deer you killed was. This will be an enforcement nightmare. My cell cams are now all designated as security cams for trespassers on the property. What now DNR?!
See the enforcement nightmare this will become?!

A lot of the guys in favor of a cell cam ban keep beating the drum of, "now you'll have to use woodsmanship instead of being lazy."

Uh, no bruv; woodsmanship doesn't tell you how big the antlers are. I killed my 180" public land buck in a spot with zero rubs or scrapes anywhere around. I've also hunted public loaded with huge rubs and scrapes and a huge bodied 130" 10 point was the biggest buck around. Woodsmanship is a dying art, but it's not lost on the big buck killers.

The official regs are supposed to be released this summer aren't they, so hopefully there is some clarification on how this rule will be laid out and enforced.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Replies from the DNR is what people are going off of right now for the most part I think. I haven't seen the official document.
a62f3ffd5a5d73f69e61f70e215fc98e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Seems they are careful to match the B&C / Pope and Young wording on cell cameras.

Wish more states would follow this, I hate cell cameras for hunting purposes.

What exactly does that mean for cell cams? Does that mean you can't go after a deer when you get a pic in real time or are they banned completely during season?

From here on out the way it reads if anyone uses cell cams better not show anyone pics! This is a wait and see when the regs are out

What exactly does that mean for cell cams? Does that mean you can't go after a deer when you get a pic in real time or are they banned completely during season?
Would make more sense if you could only have cameras on delay send/midnight send. Not have them live- or that’s how I feel the way it’s described “like a cb”. To me- that’s instant. ‍♂️ will be interesting but also not shocked. I had them for my property 2 hours away just to keep from driving to check cameras. If I can’t use em, not a big deal to me

I think the only way this works is a clean break. No cell cams allowed for scouting purposes during deer season if you are going to hunt deer. I think any other variation of that will leave so much grey area it will be unenforceable.
I have a few cell cams but I think overall this would be a good move for Iowa deer hunting in general. I don't hunt public land so I have no skin in that game but the stories I hear about all the cameras sounds aggrivating as ####.

Will this be enforced with about as much vigor as the tree stands that have grown into the trees on public land with lanes and trees cut down all around them? The game wardens are clearly too busy and lazy to even do one lap of public land because this issue is rampant on all the pieces of public I hunt.

I’ve seen trailers full of tree stands removed this spring. Our one CO told us if we see them during turkey season to send him a location and they’ll get them. A lot of ground to cover to remove them all. I agree though way too many get left every year but I also see where is the time spent worth it when there’s other things going on. Which fish needs fried first kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t know what to think . I use cell cameras for lots of purposes. Buck size and antler growth is one. Population is another .

Overall one of my main uses is for surveillance of the farm . I put a couple in areas where potential trespassing could happen.

I use cell cams to monitor the crop fields, harvest etc…

I’ll have to read the rules?

Top Bottom