Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Cell Camera rules

I don't really have an opinion on this either way, although I generally think that some of this technology use needs to be debated and hashed out, as some of it probably goes too far. I don't personally use cell cams, but I do know of a handful of bucks that would have never gotten hunted or shot without them, including a 215" buck shot within an hour of a notification. I don't really think that's sporting, but again, we should be having a healthy debate about this.

The commission shouldn't be in the position of re-interpreting laws after there's been established precedent. If you're going to make a big change on something like this, or the party hunting rule, publicize it and put it out into the open, not quietly insert it into an agenda, vote on a change, and then totally go crickets as information starts to trickle out to the public. The legislature needs to write laws more clearly, and get with the times with regards to changing technology, but how these rules are getting changed stinks. I know there's some people happy about it, but just wait until next year when it's something that you're not happy about. This is just asking for bad outcomes.

I think there needs to be regulations put in place on real time use of cell cams. We will see where this whole deal settles out. I hope this prompts reasonable rules & regs on cell cams, it's been a free for all.

I am not legally allowed to text or call my buddy that a deer is headed his or her way, I'm sure it definitely happens! But a cell camera can tell u a deer is on a trail headed ur way, or one ridge/food plot over or a hot doe is in the area hunt this stand.

Last year a guy I know work with left work at 10:15am cause several bucks were chasing a doe by his stand, he slipped in and shot his biggest buck ever, he's 50 years old.

I know too many hunters that won't hunt a spot for deer or turkey unless they have seen the target that night or that morning, they dont want to burn the spot. Then they brag how much more effective it is to have cell cams, cause they dont have to scare deer/turkeys to pull cards. I agree with them and let them know that is why cell cams will be banned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What exactly does that mean for cell cams? Does that mean you can't go after a deer when you get a pic in real time or are they banned completely during season?

From what I have read you just can’t have them send pics while hunting. They classify it as an extension of the cell phone. It’s not like hunters leave their cell phone at home while hunting?

I say allow them, put them into send mode 1 time a day at 10pm. Best of both worlds in terms of using them to monitor properties without being intrusive and not using them to actively chase an animal.

i know one thing, cell cams are gonna be cheap soon
I think that would be abused and not many would abide by a rule like that. I have several cell cameras I will gladly cancel the service on if this becomes law on private ground. I think hunting should be hard and not easy like most want it. Being intrusive and checking cameras on a regular basis is a choice hunters make and if someone wants to do that and risk bumping deer they can do it. If not, it will make chasing these bucks a little harder and hunting skills may come into play more.

I think that would be abused and not many would abide by a rule like that. I have several cell cameras I will gladly cancel the service on if this becomes law on private ground. I think hunting should be hard and not easy like most want it. Being intrusive and checking cameras on a regular basis is a choice hunters make and if someone wants to do that and risk bumping deer they can do it. If not, it will make chasing these bucks a little harder and hunting skills may come into play more.
Well I mean- it would be private ground for cell cams too…. The cell cam companies could just change their network settings globally to only allow to send once- send at midnight only

Well I mean- it would be private ground for cell cams too…. The cell cam companies could just change their network settings globally to only allow to send once- send at midnight only
If they did that, it would be a solution most would probably agree on. I have mixed feelings about cell cams and really hope deep down they disappear. I have used cell cams the last couple of years in areas I don't want to access and spook deer. Even though this doesn't target one specific buck on a food source, it still makes hunting easier. It shows which bucks are around and when without having to check SD cards and spreading scent everywhere. I think banning cell cams and making a level playing field for everyone would actually be a good thing. No doubt some great genetic young bucks would survive because of it and grow into giants.

Seems they are careful to match the B&C / Pope and Young wording on cell cameras.

Wish more states would follow this, I hate cell cameras for hunting purposes.
Here is the wording from B&C fair chase rules.

"Trail Cameras Usage​

The use of any technology that delivers real-time location data (including photos) to target or guide a hunter to any species or animal in a manner that elicits an immediate (real-time) response by the hunter is not permitted."

So I know the Cuddy Link system stores the pictures until a set amount of photos has been reached then sends them to the user. Most of the time several hours later.
I think the DNR rules need to be clarified to define what aiding the hunter is.

After all a non cell camera will tell you what area the deer is using so it can be considered aiding the hunter.
I think the key is "real time"

So, according to the statement from the DNR cell cams would be illegal on private land and public land. I'm not a fan of this at all.

Why the rule change now? Were people complaining? If so, this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Will this be enforced with about as much vigor as the tree stands that have grown into the trees on public land with lanes and trees cut down all around them? The game wardens are clearly too busy and lazy to even do one lap of public land because this issue is rampant on all the pieces of public I hunt.
Or will this be enforced by seizing your cell cam data from your service provider if they receive an anonymous tip? I could see it going either way depending on how heavy handed they want to be or how big the deer you killed was. This will be an enforcement nightmare. My cell cams are now all designated as security cams for trespassers on the property. What now DNR?!
See the enforcement nightmare this will become?!

A lot of the guys in favor of a cell cam ban keep beating the drum of, "now you'll have to use woodsmanship instead of being lazy."

Uh, no bruv; woodsmanship doesn't tell you how big the antlers are. I killed my 180" public land buck in a spot with zero rubs or scrapes anywhere around. I've also hunted public loaded with huge rubs and scrapes and a huge bodied 130" 10 point was the biggest buck around. Woodsmanship is a dying art, but it's not lost on the big buck killers.

The official regs are supposed to be released this summer aren't they, so hopefully there is some clarification on how this rule will be laid out and enforced.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
buddy on mine from Iowa found three stands on public near where we hunt. Warden told him it would be two years before he could do anything, been five there still there.

Be prepared for multiple large buck harvests being confiscated. If you don't pull all of your cameras pre season. The burden of proof will be on you. All it will take is an accusation.

Be prepared for multiple large buck harvests being confiscated. If you don't pull all of your cameras pre season. The burden of proof will be on you. All it will take is an accusation.
Whoaaa I hope not, I hope is Iowa smarter than that . I don’t think a buck police state is the way you want to go ?

More research will be needed on this law change. It’s really too bad these changes were not discussed at meetings across the state… with input ?

The DNR works for the people—the hunters—but often doesn’t not act like it.

Reactions: OMB
Whoaaa I hope not, I hope is Iowa smarter than that . I don’t think a buck police state is the way you want to go ?

More research will be needed on this law change. It’s really too bad these changes were not discussed at meetings across the state… with input ?

The DNR works for the people—the hunters—but often doesn’t not act like it.
I've been more confused why cell cams have been allowed in the first place. This is just clean up. The law as it reads is should have made cell cams illegal all along.

I beleive the law reads you cannot use electronic devices to communicate or transmit the whereabouts of game. That is what a cell cam does.
I called the Iowa DNR. On private land you can leave them unattended and use them, all season if you’d like… but they cannot send pics while you are hunting .

The law cleanup was more to do with public land and leaving cameras out unattended.

They extended it to private land to prevent guys from getting pics on their cell phone while hunting.

Post the law that makes them illegal …

First line under “Use of CB, Mobile Transmitter, Cell Phone” makes them illegal to use on instant send.
1c1ea80636b9d9c5148156ee05b50c7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called the Iowa DNR. On private land you can leave them unattended and use them, all season if you’d like… but they cannot send pics while you are hunting .

The law cleanup was more to do with public land and leaving cameras out unattended.

They extended it to private land to prevent guys from getting pics on their cell phone while hunting.
That would be in line with how the law reads imo.

Top Bottom