Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Cell Camera rules

I don't hunt much public, but I can see how loaded with cameras would be annoying and aggravating. I don't quite understand the hate for cell on private, I would rather have a neighbor that invests a boat load of time and money targeting a specific animal, if he wants 100 cell cams on his 40 acres so be it. If he's a tech nerd with no other woodsman- ship skills, he won't be harvesting much. I'd rather be next to a tech guy that cares about his area herd and the future of it than some bafoon that invites his city jack friends to shoot at every moving animal like it's a video game come shotgun season. Then they slaughter every antlered deer year after year and complain to everyone that poachers must be taking out the big bucks.what about the good Ole boy that gets his deer off the combine, or late at night chisel plowing in November with a thunderstick. Bottom line is most serious bowhunters will be in a stand late Oct or early Nov hunting their best spots on the right winds, during the best weather fronts regardless of camera feedback

I don't hunt much public, but I can see how loaded with cameras would be annoying and aggravating. I don't quite understand the hate for cell on private, I would rather have a neighbor that invests a boat load of time and money targeting a specific animal, if he wants 100 cell cams on his 40 acres so be it. If he's a tech nerd with no other woodsman- ship skills, he won't be harvesting much. I'd rather be next to a tech guy that cares about his area herd and the future of it than some bafoon that invites his city jack friends to shoot at every moving animal like it's a video game come shotgun season. Then they slaughter every antlered deer year after year and complain to everyone that poachers must be taking out the big bucks.what about the good Ole boy that gets his deer off the combine, or late at night chisel plowing in November with a thunderstick. Bottom line is most serious bowhunters will be in a stand late Oct or early Nov hunting their best spots on the right winds, during the best weather fronts regardless of camera feedback
I'm only presenting a point of view and not arguing for or against either position.

The perceived problem with cell cams on private is deer are transient and don't belong to just one person's farm. Cell cams have the potential to eliminate fair chase. Fair for both the animal and the others in the area.

Take this example:
You own an 80-acre parcel that shares borders with with parcels owned by four other hunting families. You all know there is a 200" buck local to the area. You get a cell pic at 615pm on a Friday night of that buck hot on the tail of a doe entering your parcel and have easy access to a stand with good wind for the direction they are headed. Would you cancel plans to go to your son's football game and get in that stand?

Now, how is it different from if your son is out in the field harvesting on a Saturday morning and he calls you on the phone to relay the same info?

Currently, the phone call is illegal but it is relaying very similar hunt intelligence as the cell cam.

Top Bottom