Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa DNR CWD

Saw that. I need to get a firm update on “what research is being done to find a CURE!!!?!???!?” If I could wave a magic wand, 90% of any funding dollars would go to Research for a CURE & 10% would go for testing (as no real actions by any state have yielded proven solutions after we detected cwd). I am concerned the # isn’t even in reverse… 10% for a cure. I suspect it’s not even that. But- I am not sure & need to really understand what the overall plan is here.

Saw that. I need to get a firm update on “what research is being done to find a CURE!!!?!???!?” If I could wave a magic wand, 90% of any funding dollars would go to Research for a CURE & 10% would go for testing (as no real actions by any state have yielded proven solutions after we detected cwd). I am concerned the # isn’t even in reverse… 10% for a cure. I suspect it’s not even that. But- I am not sure & need to really understand what the overall plan is here.

I know they do quite a bit of CWD testing at the USDA lab in Ames.

The hard issue on finding a cure is it’s not a viral or bacterial disease. It’s a prion and irreversible. Almost all drugs on the market today are made to target RNA and DNA sequences in viruses and bacteria. Prions don’t have have those sequences as they are proteins.

I know they do quite a bit of CWD testing at the USDA lab in Ames.

The hard issue on finding a cure is it’s not a viral or bacterial disease. It’s a prion and irreversible. Almost all drugs on the market today are made to target RNA and DNA sequences in viruses and bacteria. Prions don’t have have those sequences as they are proteins.
Humic acid is being discussed as a possible treatment. Dunno if it’s viable or not.
The other one…. Genotype in deer that - in short summary of my understanding…. Allows a deer to live to 6-7++ with cwd. The symptoms take far longer to manifest. Most deer will be shot far before they make it to that age if that’s at all accurate.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease … a little reading on that- often times takes decades for it to develop in people….

Humic acid is being discussed as a possible treatment. Dunno if it’s viable or not.
The other one…. Genotype in deer that - in short summary of my understanding…. Allows a deer to live to 6-7++ with cwd. The symptoms take far longer to manifest. Most deer will be shot far before they make it to that age if that’s at all accurate.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease … a little reading on that- often times takes decades for it to develop in people….

There’s definitely been a genotype found in deer that is more resistant to the prion which makes me laugh when some states “management strategies” are to kill more deer. As you aren’t selecting for more resistance and the prion stays in the area anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom