Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa DNR Shoot themselves in the foot?

OLETOM

I am a NR and was wondering what you residents think about the Turkey Season for NR. I see that they still have a pile of tags available? Do you think they did right by this increase in tag price? I would have loved to come back down again this year but not for $189.50. Kinda sucks in my eyes but you residents might see it different. I had a ball chasing birds down there last year.

Good luck this year!

OLETOM

$189.50?!?!?!!? For a turkey? Jeesh, you'd think for that you'd get a free night at a Stinky 8 motel somewhere. Being a resident I've never really looked at the non-resident stuff, if that's what it costs in other states I know I'll be sticking in Iowa!

...this may surprise most people, but the IDNR thinks that NR's have to pay too much also!...they never wanted such a large increase in NR fees...they have been asking the Legislature to increase the price of resident licenses for at least a couple of years now...but the Legislature will not do it, they just keep raising the fees for NR...guess they figure that they will increase the fees for the only people that cannot vote against them next election year!...I think the IDNR is having better luck this year however, both with a resident increase and a NR decrease...

I think that that price for a turkey is a little extreme, and I am not against an increase in resident licenses as long as they are reasonable. What I am against is an increase in the residents licenses along with no increase in nonresident licenses and an increase in the number of nonresident licenses available. I don't mind paying to hunt our turkeys, but I definitely do not want more competition for hunting ground.

OLETOM,
The answer to your question is, "No, the Iowa Legislature shot the Iowa DNR in the foot." Last year the Legislature decided not to raise resident licenses a small amount and to really sock it to the NR. Both bad ideas. See "Support wildlife, habitat and the DNR" on the 'Iowa Whitetail Conference'.

I have also enjoyed some great turkey hunting in Iowa for the past 6 years and am very tempted to snatch up one of the remaining leftover tags, but I just can't bring myself to give in to such a ridiculously high increase in just one year. I can still remember when my father told me many years ago that someday hunting would be just a sport for the wealthy--the old adage about that's how it is in Europe--and I always just blew it off. Afterall, this is America and we would never allow that to happen here. It may not be to the point where it is exclusively an "upperclass only" sport, since I could scrape up the $200 if I really wanted too, but it is now a matter of principles and not supporting the huge increase by not hunting in Iowa. Kind of a "screw me with such a huge increase, well screw you" attitude seems to be what most of us non-residents feel. It may not be the right attitude and many Iowa residents may not mind fewer non-residents in the woods, but it's disturbing that the Iowa DNR would let this happen and I can only hope that some of the residents of Iowa don't suppport such an unfair increase and try to pound some sense into your politicians for us non-residents! I've always wandered why we even have a DNR or Game, Fish, and Parks Departments if the legislature won't let them make the decisions that they feel are correct without trying to put in their two cents. Are these Departments just another "puppet on a string" for them? Sure seems like it!

I wouldn't pay that stupid of a price either! Our brilliant legislature thought they were doing us residents a favor by not raising our fees--when most of us supported an increase! Don't buy that tag. Wait a year and let the legislature see what the did and fix it.

Top Bottom