Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa elk

mudingbuck

PMA Member
I got a picture of an elk on a trail camera sent to me yesterday. The picture is from SW Iowa. It came from a creditable source but I guess I am just a doubtful person. Does anyone know of one running around down there?

Two years ago we had a 5x5 bull running around monona and harrison county. Maybe escaped from a pen but who knows. The dnr wanted it shot because of the fear of cwd, especially if it came from the blackhills or wyoming/colorado cwd zone.

Last year up here in North West Iowa about 25 miles south of okoboji, we had a bull moose running out in the fields, the DNR announced on the radio that it could not be harvested, they are protected in the state, but it was cool to see, wish they would move to the area and give me something else to go kill.

There is a farmer that was raising them by cherokee(nw iowa) and about 20 got out and never found so every now and then u hear about someone seen one

Don't know about SW Iowa elk, but they have/had some running around up in Allamakee that got loose from the game farm.

There was a guy who lived just East of Bedford who had Elk, but moved away. He was right off of Highway 2. Some said he let them out others said he slaughtered them all before moving. Like anything, someone surely knows the truth.

DNR shot a bull elk near willow slough in mills county a couple years back...escapee
A friend of mine lives near there and he watched the whole thing, texted me a pic , and it was kinda strange to see a dead elk down in a picked corn field !

Last edited:
My cousin found an elk shed a couple years back, took it to one of his professors and he said it was atleast 200 years old, but I would have thought the squirrels would have had it long gone by then.. idk I am no professor but I know how long it takes for a squirrel to have some bone eaten up.

Supposedly a friend of mine saw a large bull NE of New Market about five miles. It was then "heard" that there was a transport of elk in route to Mark Twain National Forrest in southern Missouri that made a stop in NW Missouri and thats when 22 escaped. Can't confirm or deny that claim. Haven't been able to locate any press releases.

Top Bottom