Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Governors tags........

FYI:

If I remember right this is one of the persons that heads the board up that takes the applications and makes recommendations.

ROSS HARRISON
CONS & REC COORDINATION & POLICY
WALLACE BLDG - 502 E 9TH ST DES MOINES 50319-0034
(515) 281-5973
(515) 281-6794

Why shouldn't all NR tags be auctioned? I still don't understand why prices aren't set to match demand. Nothing personal- just business, if demand exceeds supply, prices rise.
If that's the case then make it the same for residents....What's good for the goose is good for the gander..If you get my drift.
Nothing personal....It's just business

[ QUOTE ]
FYI:

If I remember right this is one of the persons that heads the board up that takes the applications and makes recommendations.

ROSS HARRISON
CONS & REC COORDINATION & POLICY
WALLACE BLDG - 502 E 9TH ST DES MOINES 50319-0034
(515) 281-5973
(515) 281-6794

[/ QUOTE ]

ross.harrison@dnr.state.ia.us

governors tags are a joke. I have enquired about these tags, I was told they are given to people that promote the state of iowa. Give me a break, every hunter in the world wants to come to Iowa and hunt and they cant get a tag. Sign should read, welcome to Iowa , now get the heck out. all these people do is come here to iowa, kill a giant, go home and make a ton of money off the video etc.. I am a nonresident landowner in iowa, i guarantee i spend a hell of a lot more money in Iowa than most of these people, probably all of them. If Iowa wants to raise some money to fund the special programs, then they should auction off a certain amount of licenses every year to the highest bidder, I guarntee people would pay a lot more than 5k to come here and shoot a giant. Governors tags are an insult to every resident and non resident!

khbofa...

I somewhat agree. On another forum there is a guy defending and supporting these tags.....an outfitter, of all people!!

I personally dont think that Iowa needs any promotion?? Seriously!! Any serious deer hunter in this country knows full well that Iowa is perhaps one of the best deer states in the country(for trophy bucks too). Each year thousands of NR's are turned down and they keep coming back to try again. So, I dont think more promotion is needed.

Non Resident land owners are not even afforted the opportunity to hunt their own land in Iowa and they have to draw like everyone else. Guys like you have invested a ton of $$ yet still get denied tags.

These tags are just another cog in the big wheel that is turning hunting in this state into the "have and have not's" situation.

They've done their damage IMO. Other than giving them to make a wish or the like, I really like the highest bidder concept with all proceeds going towards public land acquisition. Be interesting to see what they'd go for, I bet it'd be steep as long as the tag quote stays the same.

Auctions can and do generate a lot of income for our Game and Parks. When Nebraska auctions off a non resident Bighorn sheep tag, it usually brings around 85,000.00
shocked.gif

It may be a good idea if Iowa was to auction off a few.

can anyone tell me one bonafied benefit of letting someone hunt iowa on a governors tag. Are they donating funds to charity? Are they spending any more money than any other hunter, ie. gas, food, beer etc.. Most of these guys do not even pay an outfitter if they hunt with one. the outfitters look at it like free publicity, these people are taking more than they are giving. Is their a cost associated with these tags? or are they free?

By the way I see it for the NR....you all should figure out how to apply for such a tag if you don't get drawn. Definitly not fair for the regular Joe hunter that would be greatful for such a gesture. I look at half that list and see a few names I recognize but none with "Celebrity Status" I see folks names with more money that 10 average folks combined, hunting show folks, and then a bunch of regular folks.

My suggestion....find out how to get these tags and swamp the DNR with requests for application. Apply for them even if they say you don't "qualify" worth a shot if you want to hunt Iowa.

Shedder, are you looking at the same list. I see all kinds of celeb's from the hunting world, sports, country singer, etc. The isn't to many regular joe's on that list.

[ QUOTE ]
Shedder, are you looking at the same list. I see all kinds of celeb's from the hunting world, sports, country singer, etc. The isn't to many regular joe's on that list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I would have to rate "Celeb" status in the hunting world based on what I can learn from them to help make me a better hunter. Just because I see someone on video on the outdoor channel pimping out the deer view mirror, cmeere deer spray, biologic, HSS, etc etc, does not make them celebs of the hunting world by my standards. I would be utterly suprised if most of these "celebs" on the list (which I still have no idea who at least 1/2 of them are) would actually enjoy hunting if there were not some sort of monetary gain, or "name in lights" reward for shooting a buck. Seriously, what do any of these folks on the list have to offer to the hunting world other than a 5 minute clip on the outdoor channel. Blake Shelton, although I do like his music, is not going to make it better for Iowa or its hunters if he makes the list for a tag and comes here to hunt. Show me one of the "celebs" taking a doe with his govenor tag......slim chance that would happen and yet, that would be one way they could help out iowa with these rediculous tags
confused.gif
The tags have worn out thier welcome IMO

i would bet the names we don't recognize are cameramen or "field staff members" for the other shows.

The names you do not recognize are probably outdoor writers.

I have been on the recieving end of governors tags in other states, so I suppose some would consider mine to be a biased opinion. The tags are designed to bring publicity to the state's deer hunting and therefor raise awareness and bring tourism dollars into the state. They do that very well.

The question is, in my opinion, are they still needed? After all, there are many applicants for each tag. That I guess is where the debate should be. However, someone from New Yourk who owns land in the state and is mad about these tags seems to me is just plain jealous and angry that he isn't getting a free tag. Well, I say find a way to promote tourism in the state and then apply for a gov tag. Or shut up and let the Iowans take care of their own business.

Iowa1,
About you comment on the gentleman from NewYork who owns ground in this state and saying he is jealous more then likely wasnt the correct assumption. Maybe if he didnt own ground might be the case.

I have the same issue with the gentleman from Illinois who owns the ground that I hunt on. (Over 600 acres)He finally got his first tag and is able to hunt it this year for the first time after 4 years of paying Iowa taxes
shocked.gif
He stated to me that he would not mind paying the Non-resident fee every year as long as he could come back and hunt his land (Which he told me around $300. That is more then likely that a lot of the out of staters who own ground are upset. I think he has a great point on letting him hunt every year and look at the income for the DNR is they let out of state landowners hunt every year but pay full price for a tag. Most of the ground they use sits dormant for 3-4 yrs anyway. We are already complaining about our deer heard being way to high.

Governor tags, seems like same people get the tags every year. We dont need the promotion IMO

Cant promote the state any more then having the largest deer ever taken by a hunter came from Iowa.
confused.gif

I believe that we should put together a no holds barred campaign to get Shredder one of those Governors tags. Then he must promise to do a semi live trophy whitetail hunt on this site just like One Cam's mulie hunt. What could be a better use of one of those tags?

In response to Iowa1, it is not a matter of jealousy. The idea of a governors tag in the state of Iowa contradicts everything the state has done to limit the amount of non resident hunters. An outdoor writer, a musician, etc is not pomoting tourism, an outdoor writer is promoting big deer or a product of some sort. Seems to me deer hunters are not the tourists Iowa is looking for. Someone who promotes the State of Iowa is someone who creates jobs, and income for the state. Someone who speaks of the quality of life, low cost of living etc. Let me be very clear, I am not faulting the writer, hunter, musician etc, for benefitting from this loophole, I am just saying the idea of a governors tag in Iowa is a contradiction to the existing rules and regs.

I could really care less what happens with those 25 tags
shrug[1].gif
Id rather have those 25 bucks shot than the , who knows how many bucks shot on doe tags during shotgun season
blush.gif

Top Bottom