Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Governors Tags

Do you support the continuation of the Iowa Governors Tags?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 32.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Not to Deer Hunting Celebrities

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • For Auction to Worthy Causes

Votes: 72 48.0%

• Total voters

blake

Life Member
Do you support the continuation of the Iowa Governors Tags?

This is a private poll, your name will NOT be disclosed to members of IW.

Great poll! I'm for either NO or the Auction worthy causes which may find away to include our veterans. Excellent idea on this poll and it will be interesting to see the % that checks YES that are in favor of them. I earlier claimed the #'s of "yes" would be low VS changing system or stopping it BUT I guess we can just see, maybe I'm off, maybe I'm not, interesting stuff.

Great poll! I'm for either NO or the Auction worthy causes which may find away to include our veterans. Excellent idea on this poll and it will be interesting to see the % that checks YES that are in favor of them. I earlier claimed the #'s of "yes" would be low VS changing system or stopping it BUT I guess we can just see, maybe I'm off, maybe I'm not, interesting stuff.
I feel the same way. :way:

That is exactly my vote too, I vote no for how they are used now, but would like to also see some auctioned off for worthy causes. :way:

Here's a list
Govtags.png

The Gov tag issue to me isn't a huge deal. I think us hunters can focus on more important resident and NR tag issues. That doesn't mean that I like them however. The argument that they are issued to people who promote the hunting in Iowa in a positive manner is bogus. Bill Jordan isn't coming to Iowa to promote the hunting in Iowa, he's coming here for Bill Jordan. Same as all the rest of the TV hunters. Far as I'm concerned they can wait til thier name comes up just like every other NR that applies. If Iowa really wanted to get some milage and promotion from the Gov tags they should offer them to disabled or ill kids. Those kinds of stories touch the hearts of everyone and would promote Iowa far more than any hunting show.

The Gov tag issue to me isn't a huge deal. I think us hunters can focus on more important resident and NR tag issues. That doesn't mean that I like them however. The argument that they are issued to people who promote the hunting in Iowa in a positive manner is bogus. Bill Jordan isn't coming to Iowa to promote the hunting in Iowa, he's coming here for Bill Jordan. Same as all the rest of the TV hunters. Far as I'm concerned they can wait til thier name comes up just like every other NR that applies. If Iowa really wanted to get some milage and promotion from the Gov tags they should offer them to disabled or ill kids. Those kinds of stories touch the hearts of everyone and would promote Iowa far more than any hunting show.

Right on target Moosehunter.

It's ironoic for me to find this post this morning. Just yesterday I was having an email discussion with a good friend of mine like me who is former born and raised IA resident and we were talking about IA deer hunting and this exact issue came up. He's a waterfowl biologist and has worked all over the country and even through all his connections in the field he had never heard of these govenors tags and was a little taken back by them. For someone that works in the industry for 20 plus years and has followed what is going on/has happened in IA since he moved away it's surprising he had never heard of these tags - is this a hush hush issue for the most part or is it made common knowledge in IA without having to "look" or "dig" for it?? Do most residents of IA know these tags exist?

I tried to search for any info to send him about it but was unsuccessful - does anyone have a link where it directly talks about these tags, how many are offered, how they are allocated, and at what price??

Do the recipients of this tag have to still pay for the license as a NR or is it a "free" tag??

Anyone have the 2010 list of award winners?

I wanted to hunt in Iowa every-year so I moved here. If those people need to cheat to kill a big buck; well, it's on them not me! That's how I look at it anyway.

In-case Iowa government doesn't realize it, the word is out to the world that we have some big bucks here. You really think you need to give tags away to get the message out any longer?

I wanted to hunt in Iowa every-year so I moved here. If those people need to cheat to kill a big buck; well, it's on them not me! That's how I look at it anyway.

In-case Iowa government doesn't realize it, the word is out to the world that we have some big bucks here. You really think you need to give tags away to get the message out any longer?

Couldn't agree more. Like I said before, I'd like it changed to Veterans BUT I tell you what, if I was a non-resident that had to wait for tags and I saw that list- I'd sit there wondering WHY and how this is possible and I'd feel frustrated as can be. Thankfully I'm a Resident (moved here too) but man, the group I think would raise the biggest stink for the obvious change needed is the NR's!

I personally would think every single NR would apply for Governor's tags. Thousands of folks can claim they promote IA hunting- they tell their buddies back home, post pictures, let others in on the secret that we have big deer here AND let people know that IA is struggling to get NR's to hunt here- obvious we're struggling with all this promotion that's needed. All NR's should apply every year & I think they have just as good of reasoning & claim to them! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom