Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Land Values

Just curious, after reading the above article. How good is the hunting in the south central part of Iowa. I not planning on moving, but I could buy 2 acres for the price you pay for 1 in NE Iowa.

The hunting is terrible all through Iowa, whether deer, turkey, pheasant, duck, or sparrows. I'd suggest buying/leasing in Minnesota or Illinois.

You don't have to tell me Cooper, my area of the state is probably the worst for habitat and wildlife!
wink.gif
I'm just curious because I have never been to that part of the state before and was wondering why that area's land values are so much lower. Believe me, I wish the entire state had those prices. But that's just wishfull thinking.

Raven,
Looks like the soil in SE Iowa grows fine deer! The county soil maps for the southern two tiers look much different than those that straddle I-80. Values tend to follow crop production but the recreational uses may soon catch the southern prices up.
Pharmer

Pharmer. In the southern tier of counties timber land sells for more than the pasture & crop land in those areas where record book deer are harvested on a regular basis.

IaCraig

Cooper,
Believe it or not, its cheaper to buy land in Iowa than in southern MInnesota. My friend's dad was interested in a 40 until he found out it was selling for $5,000 an acre. Some idiot from the Twin Cities will come down and buy it and think nothing of it.

Hello,

Southern Iowa land is, generally, cheaper than that in northern Iowa because the soil is of poorer quality, in terms of it's crop production capabilities.

Also, the economy in southern Iowa is less favorable.

At least, those are a couple of reasons off the top of my head.

Good Hunting...Raven

I agree that you'll see some shift in land values for recreational purposes. Local demand also drives a lot of this for quality farmland. It only takes two guys bidding. I also wanted to add, the quality of deer in southern Iowa is much better and always will be. In NW IA we don't have any trees up here and only 1 or 2 deer per square mile and they're all three-legged baldies or forkhorns...

All of you who are fortunate enough to hunt in Southern Iowa better enjoy it. I have to agree with hunt-m-up, here in NW Iowa they farm from road to road and the deer just have a lack of cover. Hell they are even starting to tear out the fencelines, it makes me sick. But I guess if I paid $3600 a acre I would want to make the best of it. Frustrating!!!!!!!!

Hey Guys,
I have been researching this pretty hard the last couple of months and from what I can tell the southern portions of Iowa are alot heavier timbered than the north. Which you probably knew but comparing timbered land to quality soiled farm land the price of the good tillable acres is going for $200-$500 more per acre. That land is also worth more due to the fact that you will be offered a better CRP contract. The southern counties also seem to be increasing in value at an alarming rate compared to the northern counties this is in large part due to CRP contracts and publicity, I heard Paul Harvey talking about Iowa land values increasing on national radio the other day.

As far as I can tell it sure looks like some big buck country in the southern area.
Nonres

To be serious about the subject, most of what has been posted is correct, except for the post stating CRP payments are driving up cost (no offense intended). The land in northern Iowa is FAR more fertile, might actually have a chance to still make a living farming every once in a while. In southern Iowa much of the land is not at all fertile, other than some of the bottom land. Yields maybe 1/4 those of northern Iowa, but costs to plant/harvest still the same--go figure why that's generally the poorest part of the state. Lots of southern Iowa is gradually being converted to ranching, looking more like Nebraska every year.

Costs are being driven up by recreational users--timber/scenic is skyrocketing whereas prime ag land has been fairly static. On prime ag land, have to be able to make a return on your investment, and getting harder and harder to do that. Recreational users aren't driven by that reality--they're using "fun money", don't need to worry about rate of return. Just spending the money on land instead of new golf clubs and club membership every year. And although the timberland provides no return and is generally considered worthless by farmers/ranchers, even at $1000/acre it is considered a bargain to most rec users, who are generally "townies". Go look at a one-acre lot selling for $110,000 in the western suburbs of Des Moines, or an acre in the "rural" area just outside of Metro DM selling for $40,000 to $60,000 with no paved streets or sewer, and 80 acres for $60,000 to $80,000 doesn't sound too bad. And only an hour commute! Add a little CRP to put a few bucks in your pocket, and it can be about as close to heaven on earth that one can reach.

So. There you go. My wife and I both grew up in northern Iowa, so know what good farmland is like, shocking to see what it's like in southern Iowa, have to feel sorry for farmers trying to make a living there. There's a tendency to feel superior, but shouldn't--are hard-working people, failing because don't have as much to work with, not because of lack of effort or intelligence. I'm now a "townie" and rec user, and have helped drive up the cost of land in southern Iowa by buying our little piece of heaven. The CRP payment is a nice "perk", but could get a much better return elsewhere. Not the main motivator, although did make it easier to justify in the household budget to not have the monthly payments be a total drain.

Hate to see the acquisition of land, leasing of land, gradual disappearance of "free" hunting on private land. However, don't see any way to stop it or reverse the trend--fortunately, am in the position of being able to "join them since I can't beat them" (to reverse the saying). Leasing has been the only way to hunt in other states for decades. I can envision when even leasing will be hard, because most land will probably be in corporate ownership, and the corporations won't care about a few extra bucks from leasing.

I just wish I could have bought years ago, when timber was $100 or even $300/acre, but at least didn't have to pay $1000. That, and I regret not winning the lottery so I could buy a county or two.

Long enough post. Couldn't resist a little humor on the first...hope I didn't/haven't offended anyone.

The southeast has enough gullies, creeks, and hills that a lot of the acreage is just not farmable like the flatter country. As mentioned, soil quality is not as good.

Top Bottom