Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is he dead

Stuck a nice one tonight at 4:40. It was a 35 yard shot I believe that I got Into the shoulder. I had 5 inches of arrow snapped off. I found decent dark red blood. I backed out and came home. I am charging flashlight batteries now. What do you think is he dead and should I give till morning. Thanks for the response.

Yup....prolly a morning trek. Although you found blood which is good with a shoulder hit, I'd wait til the am. You may have got one lung or maybe the heart depends on the angle. Good luck keep us posted.

I would head out now. Two hours is plenty and if it starts snowing or raining you're in trouble.

If no big rain or snow is coming, wait. Fight the urge to go. Nothing good can happen by tracking too soon. More deer are lost to this than most people realize. If they are lethaly hit and not disturbed. They will bed and die. Push them and they can go miles.

If he is dead now he will be dead in the morning- nothing bad can come from waiting vs going now and possibly bumping

Drink a few beers and go to bed. I've pushed um before and regretted it dearly

I concur . I have heard many stories of following too soon. Had one such incident myself . If unsure best to wait!!!

Well after searching for 6 hours.we lost the blood after 200 yards and never could pick it up again we started combing the hillside thinking maybe he just ran till he collapsed no such luck. I will be checking the closest water source later tonight any other tips would be greatly appreciated

I'm not impressed with the whole "go to water" concept. You owe it to the buck to keep looking, but with only 5" of penetration and losing blood at 200 yards, I'm not optimistic. Good luck with your search.

Top Bottom