Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it legal to use dogs to find wounded/lost deer?

One more thing....say you where shed hunting that area with you dog and you found your buck! If this rule is LEGIT and STRONG...you can NOT pick up your deer right?.. Dog found it so it's a no no .... Ya you can say your shed hunting..... but so could anybody.. Bottom line is they would have to have video proof of you using a dog to CHASE or whatever deer....

I hear what you're saying, and I think that there should be wording added to allow dogs to be used to track wounded game. That way it won't be so up to the interpretation of the resident CO. I know that if you ask several different ones you'll get conflicting answers.

Example: The use of a LEASHED tracking dog may be used to recover wounded deer.

If the dogs on a leash, and you have control over it, it's going to be hard for someone to accuse you of running deer with a dog.

I don't agree with much of what you have to say about the DNR T250, but I do agree that you should make every attempt to recover game.

Well since it seems so grey, the simple thing would be ask your county CO. Bordering county CO's may tell you two different things. When you tell them that you are searching for a wounded deer they may allow it as long as your not carrying a weapon. I would say most would overlook it if your weren't armed and there weren't any other hunters in the area that you were working toward.

If a person wanted to use a dog and do it in a grey sorta way. Buy a Fall Turkey tag and take your dog out. Page 33 your allowed to use a dog for fall turkey to flush, locate, and retrieve turkey.

Iowabow stated he called his local DNR officer and the officer told him it was a no no. Five years ago I had shot a nice 10 pointer. 15 yard shot. I watched him go about 50 yards and crash. I waited an hour, glassing where he crashed every few minutes...no movement. Got down from the stand and packed everything up and my hunting partner and I proceeded to go to where the buck was down. Just as we got within 20-25 yards from him he jumped up and took off running. Lots of blood and he was hurt bad. We slowly tracked the blood trail and ran out at a crick. We backed out and I called my local DNR officer. It was cold that night so I wasn't worried about the meat. The DNR officer met us back out to where he crashed, with his bloodhound! We followed the trail right to the crick when the dog began to lose the scent trail. We picked up a leaf with tons of blood on it, crossed the crick, and the dog piked up the trail again. We found him within 30 yards in some thick cover. He was a tough ole deer. Got one lung and the liver. So if it is illegal to use a dog, why then did my DNR officer use his? The only weapon I had on me was my gutting knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReleaseHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iowabow stated he called his local DNR officer and the officer told him it was a no no. Five years ago I had shot a nice 10 pointer. 15 yard shot. I watched him go about 50 yards and crash. I waited an hour, glassing where he crashed every few minutes...no movement. Got down from the stand and packed everything up and my hunting partner and I proceeded to go to where the buck was down. Just as we got within 20-25 yards from him he jumped up and took off running. Lots of blood and he was hurt bad. We slowly tracked the blood trail and ran out at a crick. We backed out and I called my local DNR officer. It was cold that night so I wasn't worried about the meat. The DNR officer met us back out to where he crashed, with his bloodhound! We followed the trail right to the crick when the dog began to lose the scent trail. We picked up a leaf with tons of blood on it, crossed the crick, and the dog piked up the trail again. We found him within 30 yards in some thick cover. He was a tough ole deer. Got one lung and the liver. So if it is illegal to use a dog, why then did my DNR officer use his? The only weapon I had on me was my gutting knife. </div></div>

Yeessssssssssssss.............and scene.

I will make some people mad for saying this, and for the record I have two labs that are part of our family and I'm very much a dog person. If I'm on public land or on the private ground I hunt and a dog comes through, it will have trouble leaving. Too many dogs run around my area and have messed up too many hunts, I will not let them run.
I do have a problem with the open lack of respect of the laws. Have I broken some of the laws? yes. Am I proud of that? no. Remember: it's not us against them, the CO's want to protect our sport also.
Let's not be part of the problem.

I know alot of people that have dogs as pets, but look at them as part of their family. These same people have taken their dog along tracking deer, not for the dog to track, but to have their family pet and companion along with them when they retreive their game. These same people also took their children along with them, with the dog, and usually the wife as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReleaseHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iowabow stated he called his local DNR officer and the officer told him it was a no no. Five years ago I had shot a nice 10 pointer. 15 yard shot. I watched him go about 50 yards and crash. I waited an hour, glassing where he crashed every few minutes...no movement. Got down from the stand and packed everything up and my hunting partner and I proceeded to go to where the buck was down. Just as we got within 20-25 yards from him he jumped up and took off running. Lots of blood and he was hurt bad. We slowly tracked the blood trail and ran out at a crick. We backed out and I called my local DNR officer. It was cold that night so I wasn't worried about the meat. The DNR officer met us back out to where he crashed, with his bloodhound! We followed the trail right to the crick when the dog began to lose the scent trail. We picked up a leaf with tons of blood on it, crossed the crick, and the dog piked up the trail again. We found him within 30 yards in some thick cover. He was a tough ole deer. Got one lung and the liver. So if it is illegal to use a dog, why then did my DNR officer use his? The only weapon I had on me was my gutting knife. </div></div>

Yeessssssssssssss.............and scene. </div></div>

Huh? You lost me T.

I should have outlined the part when u asked why the DNR used his mutt...Just saying.. "BINGO"...:)Just one more sketchy officer in the field, thats all.(vent)

there is a guy down here that advertises finding your deer with his dogs.he charges more the bigger the deer is.he says as long as they are on the leash it is not illegal.

I trained my welsh corgi to track deer.

I started 'hunter' out when he was 8 weeks old.I would give him deer legs and that was the start.I put him on a 30ft lead and bring him around any place deer have been and off he goes with me in tow.

if its there and dead we should find it.

doug

Top Bottom