Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is this a good fall plot mix & what about this fertilizer

Rford

Two questions. I was at the coop today and they had a food plot mix blended by a local seed company. It was 50# for $50 and was:

50% rye grain
25% russian winter peas
5% red clover
5% crimson clover
5% ladino clover
3% brassicas

Seemed like an OK mix to me and I made an impulse purchase. Might throw down some extra clover with it and just let it grow next year as well rather than till it up.

Second question: Tractor Supply has 30# bags of fertilizer for $3 but it is 12-0-12 so no phosphorus but, the bigger deal, is the last 12 says, I believe, "chlorine" which seems odd to me and I can't find a thing about it. The bag says "lawns, gardens, and trees" but I'm a little nervous about anything that uses chlorine. Maybe I'm just not up to speed.

Thanks in advance to all of you who share your opinions.

Sounds like a pretty good mix to me, for fertilizer, I would go with a couple bags of urea and 2-4 bags of triple 13 for that mix.

the bigger deal, is the last 12 says, I believe, "chlorine" which seems odd to me and I can't find a thing about it.
Chlorine is a necessary element for plant nutrition. However it is used only in minute amounts. Fertilizers generally don't have chlorine added to them, it is usually found as a contaminant from the sources of other elements. I would highly doubt the 12 stood for chlorine. The last 12 in should stand for potassium. Meaning it contains 12% soluble potash by weight. If chlorine was listed on the bag it would be in a different area not with the 3 #'s on the front.

I'll double check

I reread the label because I thought for $3 a bag I was going to buy it all. The middle zero didn't bother me but when I read the "chlorine" and couldn't find any explanation on the bag I was spooked. But I'll go back and see if there's any left and make sure I read it right.

Two questions. I was at the coop today and they had a food plot mix blended by a local seed company. It was 50# for $50 and was:

50% rye grain
25% russian winter peas
5% red clover
5% crimson clover
5% ladino clover
3% brassicas

Seemed like an OK mix to me and I made an impulse purchase. Might throw down some extra clover with it and just let it grow next year as well rather than till it up.

Second question: Tractor Supply has 30# bags of fertilizer for $3 but it is 12-0-12 so no phosphorus but, the bigger deal, is the last 12 says, I believe, "chlorine" which seems odd to me and I can't find a thing about it. The bag says "lawns, gardens, and trees" but I'm a little nervous about anything that uses chlorine. Maybe I'm just not up to speed.

Thanks in advance to all of you who share your opinions.

What the recommended plot size? Seems light on the rye and peas and heavy on the clover. If you are looking at an acre size plot I would add rye and peas and leave the clover amounts. Without a soil test I would probably go with a balanced fertilizer on that mix.

Seem to be OK -

I planted the mix the other day and also put some seed in a pot at home. The stuff really popped in a week. I did add some additional clover and threw in a bag of "forage oats" as well. All the test pots are coming up green. I planted a week ago and we got some good rain so I'm going to check it in the morning to see if any baby plants are sticking up.

I grabbed a handful of "feed oats" at the TSC store the other day and put them in a wet towel to do a germination test. Seemed to be fine...well over 50% and I think the seeds I grabbed might have been older because they were in a tube display so folks could see what they looked like I guess.

TSC put out another pallet of that 12-00-12 fertilizer ... at $3 a pop its hard to pass up.

Top Bottom