Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is this Legal

locust

Just curious how you all would handle a situation. I'll leave out the background this particular "neighbor" has with me and two other neighbors to the west and north of me. This neighbor has land to the north of me, he now says he has access to the land to the south of me(he says he just got this permission over Christmas). He says he takes 20-25 deer per year. Anyways, this weekend I noticed that he put up a treestand to the south of my property in prime-time area about 10-15 ft off my fenceline but looking straight north onto my property. The only shots he has are over my fence. This is a nice area to hunt because there is a cornfield to the SE, but I have never setup a stand overlooking the fence because I felt uncomfortable shooting over the fence for safety and just cause it isn't my property. What would any of you do? I don't want to go over the deep end and I also don't want to overreact, but initially I wasn't happy. Do I talk to the landowner, or just tell the neighbor I don't think he needs to be situated where he is. This guy has his own 200 acres, plus family acreage 50 miles away, so he isn't desperate for hunting ground and I don't want him to take out that tract of 20 acres of timber that I would hunt on my property away from me. Plus the acreage to the south is 150 acres or so and tons bordering the corn so why put the stand over my fenceline?

They always say the grass looks greener on the other side
grin.gif
If it were me I would hang a stand just accrossed the fence looking straight at him. Then I would make sure to hunt there religiously in october, until I got to hunt within a few feet of him a couple times. I'm sure he would then move
smile.gif
The right thing to do, would be to talk to the individual and express your opinions. However, I haven't met many guys that are willing to move their stand just because I didn't want there. Then I would resort to the plan I first had.
smile.gif
It's a never ending battle, it seems to happen on every property I have ever hunted, there is always a stand on the fenceline somewhere

i agree with liv.... but i would also transplant a new tree bout 8-10 ft tallk pine tree that closes his shot but makes a nice sancuary for ur land........ibh

Transplanting a tree...that cracked me up. How funny would that be...transplant the biggest tree you possibly can directly in front of his stand. Joe bowhunter comes in there in the dark next fall, in gets light out, and whammo...big ol spruce blocking him in.
bootyshake.gif
I'd love to see that happen!
grin.gif

discreetly alter the deer's habits. Go get some human hair from the barber shop, put it in some nylon stockings and hang them from tree limbs around the area where his stand is. that should modify their behavior just enough to not pass by his stand.

thanks guys. I looked over the 2004 regs and didn't see anything about shooting over a fenceline, but I would assume it is illegal to do so...do you agree? I have never met the landowner to the south, but was thinking before confronting the hunter, to just meet the landowner and ask that whoever hunts doesn't do what is being done and see if that helps. If he doesn't move it, I'll make sure my yellow lab marks that tree up good starting in August, maybe I'll take the carpet he sleeps on and cover that trunk in Lab-fresh-scent.

Just FYI, moving any larger tree costs A LOT and also takes 2-3 years to do so because you must slowly cut the roots around the base, and then the tap root. If you did it all in one trip the shock to the tree would kill it.

Anyway, I'd probably go talk with the landowner and if that didn't work, hunt right in the tree across from him.

i'm sure it is illegal to shoot across your fence, but unless you have video of him doing it, it will be your word against him. if talking to the landowner doesn't work (and i doubt it will) i think i would start trimming some branches, and small trees, and start piling them along the fence. that way they will start crossing somewhere else

Cut a bunch of brush and pile it up on the fenceline so that he cant get a shot to your land.

I would go "check the fence" often w/ a noisy deisel pick-up. Just to make sure that IF you had cattle - they couldn't get out.
grin.gif

Go and talk with the guy hunting the stand. I would go straight to the source. Technically, he's not doing anything illegal, so be careful how you approach him.

BT

I am facing the exact problem you are dealing with now. The jury is out on how I will handle it as the guy is pretty arrogant. His only shot from his stand is onto the property I hunt and the bad thing is, he is wounding deer left and right. I have found 3 dead bucks this winter I can directly correlate with this hunter and to boot, he has cut the racks off so he is trespassing as well.

As far as a stand across from his...the guy I am dealing with put his up after I had one up there 2 years ago.
confused.gif
confused.gif

I'm in the same boat. Went to my father inlaws property the other day to find someone had placed a ladder stand in a tree that is only a foot or so away from the line fence. Talk about being on the fence.
kickass.gif

I have no idea who hung the stand, it would take some nose'n to find out.

I have a stand location only 50 yards inside the timber from this guys stand. Can't figure out why he hung it where he did other than maybe a late muzz thing where he's watching over the field. Hope we don't end up staring at each other from our stands next season.
grin.gif
If we do though, he'll be gettin the worst end as the wind direction would be still be in my favor and I'M NOT LEAVING.
grin.gif

sorry to make this longer, but just got re-fired up about this cause I talked to the landowner and a guy who has access to hunt from the landowner. The "neighbor" in question as I call him was caught on my property a month ago by the guy west of me on an ATV with a muzzy(his son was ammo'd up too). The excuse he gave to my west neighbor was that he was just given access to the property to the south by the landowner and was just crossing(even though I didn't want him to do that). I talked to the landowner to the south and she didn't give anyone new access, but she gave me the number of a guy who does have access to be sure. I just got off the phone with this guy and he knows the "neighbor" and the neighbor has done stuff like this before and does NOT have access to hunt there. This guy is more fired up than me and I have a feeling the stand will be down tomorrow and inserted in one of the "neighbors" pie-holes. I posted a pic of a 12pt I found dead on my place over Thanksgiving, I wonder if the "neighbor" had anything to do with it...unbelievable.
threaddevil.gif
rambo.gif

Ya know, killing deer & just taking the antlers & then killing more deer & doing it over & over w/ out using a deer tag is poaching. Get him busted...that'll fix your problem for awhile.

I am new to the site but I definitrely know that I would be callin the law.That kinda crap is utter B.S.
mad.gif

Top Bottom