Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is this the same buck?

Do you think these bucks are the same?

• Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RosK

I shot a buck with similar tall antlers second season shotgun with .350 legend. Blood trailed him a ways but lost the trail as the blood quit dripping. A week or so later, I got a picture of a similar buck on a trail cam in the area, which led me to believe even though there was a lot of blood, my shot must not have been fatal. However, today while shed hunting I came across this buck. He was not far from my stand but in the opposite direction I was searching (if it was indeed mine, he circled back to continue the same direction he was going when I shot him and curled up by the creek to die). Immediately after the shot he wheeled around and went off over a hill in the direction he had come from, leaving quite a bit of blood. What do you think, are these the same deer?

Attachments

• Resized_Snapchat-883577551.jpeg
    Resized_Snapchat-883577551.jpeg
    419.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220209_172016.jpg
    IMG_20220209_172016.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20220209_134525.jpg
    IMG_20220209_134525.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
The Right G-3 on the deadhead is much longer than the trail camera photo buck.

That's what my brother thought too! That makes me more confident it's the one I shot. Is it rare to have two such similar bucks in the same .25 - .5 mile radius in the same month though?

So you think it’s the one you hit (dead)?
Yeah I think so. If it was the same as the one on the trail cam I wouldn't think so because the trail cam caught that pic after end of season. The dead one is within sight of where I shot him, but he was going a totally different direction when I was tracking him. I never looked that far or that direction. My dad and brother helped me track and by the amount of blood everyone said he had to be dead somewhere, but we sure couldn't find him. I've heard they can run a long ways after the shot. He was my first buck so I was disappointed for sure.

Yeah I think so. If it was the same as the one on the trail cam I wouldn't think so because the trail cam caught that pic after end of season. The dead one is within sight of where I shot him, but he was going a totally different direction when I was tracking him. I never looked that far or that direction. My dad and brother helped me track and by the amount of blood everyone said he had to be dead somewhere, but we sure couldn't find him. I've heard they can run a long ways after the shot. He was my first buck so I was disappointed for sure.
Next time hire a blood tracker dog. You won’t be disappointed. I did it this year and found the deer where I hadn’t went. Glad I did it.

When I say within sight, it's still a half mile from where I shot him.

Next time hire a blood tracker dog. You won’t be disappointed. I did it this year and found the deer where I hadn’t went. Glad I did it.
I don't know of any around here but that sounds pretty cool. I should look into it and be the person who has the dog for hire.

I've heard they can run a long ways after the shot. He was my first buck so I was disappointed for sure.
Very similar traits on those racks and easily confused by a new hunter. I would say the chance that the dead deer in the pic is yours is high enough to congratulate you on your first buck! Good luck next year with the buck in the pics.

Very similar traits on those racks and easily confused by a new hunter. I would say the chance that the dead deer in the pic is yours is high enough to congratulate you on your first buck! Good luck next year with the buck in the pics.
Thank you!

Top Bottom