Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ISO Shingle Oaks

Snail3496

Currently in year two of converting 30ac of ag field into habitat and am having a hard time finding bulk shingle oaks to mix in.

I'm sure some of you in more blessed areas will laugh at this, but in my area of Illinois they are virtually nonexistent. The few shingle oaks I know of, haven't produced acorns the last few years so I haven't been able to go that route either. Online I can only seem to find potted ones, which wouldn't make much sense to do in my situation. Any leads on vendors that might sell bare roots would be greatly appreciated!

FWIW...I just watched a Bill Winke episode on YouTube last night where he was planting several acres of his new property to trees, I believe shingle oaks were in the mix. I know there were several varieties of oaks in the mix. He was direct seeding, or rather his daughter and cameraman were :), them just recently and then disking them in. (Bill, that sly dog, was driving the tractor and making the youngsters do all the heavy lifting. :) )

I don't know where he sourced his acorns from, but I suspect that you could find some, somewhere right now and then quick like a bunny, get them disked in at your place. I would not hesitate to reach out to Bill and ask him where he got his, well, ahem, nuts from. :) For real though, I would check with him.

FWIW...I just watched a Bill Winke episode on YouTube last night where he was planting several acres of his new property to trees, I believe shingle oaks were in the mix. I know there were several varieties of oaks in the mix. He was direct seeding, or rather his daughter and cameraman were :), them just recently and then disking them in. (Bill, that sly dog, was driving the tractor and making the youngsters do all the heavy lifting. :) )

I don't know where he sourced his acorns from, but I suspect that you could find some, somewhere right now and then quick like a bunny, get them disked in at your place. I would not hesitate to reach out to Bill and ask him where he got his, well, ahem, nuts from. :) For real though, I would check with him.

yes, just comment on the video asking and I bet Bill will reply and let you know. Thats one thing about Bill, he nearly always replies to comments. So glad to see him making new videos again.

I did notice it's hard to find folks that sell shingle oaks. This might be worth collecting acorns to see them. The "volunteer" type success & resilience of shingle oak acorns that shoot up even in grassy areas is astounding. they tolerate deer pressure better than most oaks as well too. I remember collecting like 2-3 five gallon buckets of them way back in the day. took maybe 2-3 hours. how far are you from Iowa? They are in every road ditch and almost every timbered farm in southern iowa. Drop late sept to early october.

I did notice it's hard to find folks that sell shingle oaks. This might be worth collecting acorns to see them. The "volunteer" type success & resilience of shingle oak acorns that shoot up even in grassy areas is astounding. they tolerate deer pressure better than most oaks as well too. I remember collecting like 2-3 five gallon buckets of them way back in the day. took maybe 2-3 hours. how far are you from Iowa? They are in every road ditch and almost every timbered farm in southern iowa. Drop late sept to early october.
Unfortunately I am about 4.5 hrs from Iowa. In NE IL about 1.5hr south of the least corrupt city in the country ;)

Forrest Keeling Nursery usually has them. You might check there in the spring. I have had good luck with their stock. I love shingle oak as a habitat tree and a food source for turkeys especially. But, I love it more to put stands in. It normally has great cover and the leaves hold through the year mostly. However, it is almost invasive in my part of Illinois on lands that have been heavily timbered or pastured long ago. It is probably the single most tree I kill when doing tsi or thinning because it grows so thick together and is such a light hog. I think it is a great addition for you to add diversity for sure.

Zero. Only thing I found was potted trees for like $30. (Not what i'm looking for)
Not sure if you still have these in your plans for '24, but I have a nursery in MI that will have bare root shingle oaks ready for order this summer for spring '24 delivery. $150 MOQ. I'll be getting several hundred most likely. Will share more info once received

Not sure if you still have these in your plans for '24, but I have a nursery in MI that will have bare root shingle oaks ready for order this summer for spring '24 delivery. $150 MOQ. I'll be getting several hundred most likely. Will share more info once received
How many do you get for $150? I'm definitely interested!

QTY?

Curtis Walker Texas Ranger scavenged some acorns for me, so I am going to grow some from seed as well.

It will most likely be tiered similar to this but Mother Nature pending. Will share more details shortly

1676404963259.png

1676404923551.png

Top Bottom