Jan Mickelson

I just caught a little of the show. They had some guy talking about CRP and how in South Dakota anyone can hunt the ground without landowner permission. He said as long as the taxpayers are paying the farmer he should have a right to hunt the ground. Sounds like flawed logic to me. Maybe I should try this on some small business owners who received forgivable loans or tax breaks/incentives. Just walk into the store and take what is mine.
grin.gif

No matter what, the debate is going to continue and get very heated.

You can't hunt CRP in South Dakota without the land owners permission. He may be thinking about the walk-in land the state pays the landowner for.

I called in after I heard the comment about SD CRP and one of my clients called two minutes later because they recognized my voice. I should have mentioned iowawhitetail.com; I knew some of you all would be tuned in. OK everybody with CRP get ready to let everyone else come over to your place to hunt. NOT! I never could understand why everybody doesn't agree with me.
grin.gif

i think that would be a good idea making it public while it is in ten year better than than the farmer getting paid by tax payers and then leasing it out on top of it which is against the law

This weeks Farm Bureau Spokesman has an article where the author advocates modifying the CRP program. He claims it killed the ag related businesses in small town Iowa. He proposes that CRP payments should be less but allow grazing of livestock on the land. He claims that this way the livestock production stimulates the local economies while also lessening the burden on the taxpayer. He proposes a rotational grazing paddock system. I think that would have to be written into the contract. Otherwise there is going to be a lot of CRP grazed to the dirt from running too many head on it.
If a farmer has cattle on his CRP I can guess his reply to requests to hunt (though bow hunters would have the best chance).

livtahunt,
I think it would be a great idea as well if the land owner was willing. I don't think you'll find many willing particants with out financial incentive. I also think that any land owner caught collecting a hunting lease payment on top of Government CRP payment should have to repay all government money recieved and pay a stiff penalty. Any argument that they do it anyways doesn't float with me. If you're a criminal you're a criminal, period. If any one knows of lease hunting that also contains CRP they should call the athorities. People say my world is too black and white, but I prefer that to making questionable choices.

Allowing grazing on the Conservation Reserve Program is down right laughable. The reason the program exists is to help prevent erosion, increase wildlife habitat, improve water quality etc..... Cattle grazing and conservation are usaully about as far polar extremes as things can get. Just my humble opinion.
grin.gif

JNRBRONC, I'll be honest I am not sure if a lease for hunting on CRP grounds is a legal lease or not. I have seen CRP leases that stated you could not lease for hunting but that may not be all CRP contracts. I do think that if it where allowed it should have to be a open to the public type of lease. If a lease exsist for the benifit of an outfiter then I don't think leasing CRP lands should be allowed. My narrow minded two cents worth.

Ironwood
I've stated here many times that leasing CRP ground perplexes me as it is the ONLY way I could have made money above and beyond my CRP rental payments when I was in the program. Maybe the contracts have been rewritten since I was enrolled.

DOR
Yeah, grazing CRP is begging for abuse. The article advocated rotational grazing on CRP. Who's going to police that? I've read about rotational grazing where the cattle get moved to different paddocks every 7-10 days and there are enough paddocks to give them a rest of a couple of weeks before the cattle are returned to them. Sounds good but not many people have installed the fencing necessary.
Grazing CRP is not a good idea in my book.

Back