Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jeep ad negative to hunters

fishorhunt

Sorry for the length of this post but this was sent to me today and I thought I'd share.

From: North American Hunting Club clubnewsletter.2@reply.pm0.net
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 12:45 PM
Subject: NAHC Weekly News - Special Report

Jeep Takes Cheap Shot At Sportsmen Through Anti-Hunting Ad
DaimlerChrysler, maker of the popular Jeep line of vehicles, has turned its back on American sportsmen by launching an advertising campaign that glorifies anti-hunters and vilifies hunters.

In Jeep's "Deer Hunter" commercial, a man drives a Jeep through a wooded area with two deer tied on top of the vehicle. As the Jeep drives by, camouflaged hunters are shown in the woods, in close proximity to each other and the road, admiring the man's deer. The driver of the Jeep then crosses the road to a location posted with a "No Hunting"
sign. The Jeep stops, the man gets out and releases the deer, which had appeared to be dead. The driver tells the deer that they're safe and the deer then bound away. In the
background, other Jeep owners are shown doing the same thing.

"Although this message is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it won't be taken that way by the 40 million sportsmen across America," said Wildlife Legislative Fund of America President Bud Pidgeon. "This ad gives the distinct impression that people who 'save' wildlife from hunters--and drive Jeeps--are the good guys. In reality, the good guys
are American sportsmen. They're our nation's No. 1 conservationists and they're the reason that America's wildlife is flourishing."

Jeep's spokeswoman, Diane Jackson, was unwilling to acknowledge the insulting message portrayed in its commercial. She says that the ad is creative and that it
will continue to run nationally.

Apparently, Jeep isn't listening to its customers. A Jeep employee reports that calls protesting the commercial are swamping its switchboard.

"Sportsmen need to send DaimlerChrysler and Jeep a strong message that its anti-hunting sentiments aren't appreciated," Pidgeon said. "As an owner of a vehicle manufactured by this company, I intend to communicate my
resentment about the direction that this company has taken. I'll encourage my friends and colleagues to do the same."

Sportsmen everywhere: You can express your dissatisfaction by contacting DaimlerChrysler at(248) 512-2992 or by faxing (248) 512-1760. DaimlerChrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche can be contacted directly at: Box 218004,Auburn Hills, Michigan, 48321.

Please send your comments today!

I haven't tried to call but since every line is busy I probably won't. However. I did find a little form on Dailmer Chrysler's web site that says:

"If your feedback is on general comments/questions regarding the company
DaimlerChrysler, contact the internet team by filling and submitting the form below."

Does anybody have anything they'd like to say to the fine folks at DailmerChrysler? Here's the link. Let 'em have it! Imagine if sportsmen jam their phone lines and all the public input boxes!!
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/service/feedback/feedback2_e.htm

Be sure to pass this link around.

i just tried to call the jeep number and all the mailboxes are full. i guess they've had quite a few calls.

Top Bottom