Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jester Park, IA

Hi all,

Does anyone have any knowledge about the Jester Park area in Granger/Grimes area? Really close to Saylorville Lake and a bunch of public surrounding the area. Looking for a place to hunt quickly after work during the week. I know there is a bunch surrounding, so any knowledge helps. Never know when I could get lucky and see a public land giant. :)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Happy Hunting

Never hunted up there. I have heard the public areas around saylorville are pretty well used during the seasons, but over the years I have seen some pictures of bucks that anyone would be proud to be there tag on, well most anyone. I think Jester Park is part of the urban bowhunt as well. Never know, maybe a big boy would wonder up there during the rut from Camp Dodge!

Jester park is part of the urban program. There are several in the Des Moines area, and nearly all have a buck incentive program. The doe you shoot 1 year give you a chance at a buck tag the following season. I am the chair of the Polk County Deer Task Force, so can answer questions on that program.
The public areas do get hit very hard, but during the rut a nice one can roam from a private area. I like the urban hunt to give me "short hunt" options and keep me out of my good rut stands until it is time.

Here are some details on the urban program in case you are interested. It does have some extra requirements and restrictions.
https://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/cons...nting/controlled-bowhunt-hunter-requirements/

Plenty of good public land on both sides of the Hwy 17 along the DSM river all the way up to Luther. Just like the question you asked about Sand Creek, put on a good pair of boots and explore the area. Now is the perfect time and plan to go into areas that hunters are to lazy to walk to. Also if you have access to a boat or canoe even better to get to out of the way areas. Hunted a lot up there years ago when I lived in the outside of Madrid.

Top Bottom