Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

john deere-vanbrunt drill parts wanted

I finally found a usable 13x7 john deere-vanbrunt FB drill and manuals in usable shape with the standard grain box,small seed box and the fertilizer box.I had to drive 350 miles in a blizzard to get it but, oh well. As with most of these equipped with fertilizer boxes i am in need of a few parts to get that part operational and have not been very successful at locating used parts or even a parts drill. So far it looks like i need a few fertilizer feed wheels,knockers and 1 boot assembly. I have part numbers if needed. Any assistance would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

I guess I'd start calling salvage yards. There is the one in Colfax. Bowie Equipment in Tipton, Everett Brothers in Strawberry Point, these are just the ones I'm aware of.

See: Listing

When i get a chance i will give it a shot,it is my understanding that the F in FB designates it as having the fertilizer box. Apears to have been made late 40s to early 50s. Wanting to try and drill some eagle forage soybeans this spring after i locate the needed parts.

If anyone needs new,used or rebuilt parts for deere drills or planters try burrell implement out of oklahoma-www.burells.net . they had everything i needed to get me ready for planting season.Prices seem reasonable considering the lack of availability on a 60 year old drill.

Excellent... You will love that thing.

I'll post a couple mods that I made to make it more plot friendly. It's slick...

Here’s the mod. Cut the bottom off of these sturdy plastic containers, siliconed them upside down and added some 2x4 bracing. The containers taper to a funnel on the bottom end and cover the pickup area. The drill will function with a lot less seed and you can co-plant in one pass. I set the drill for a corn rate and try to split the difference in planting depth between the two. Last year I put three rows of beans between the rows of corn. The drill row spacing is 7 inches. Clean up and seed changes are a snap with a small shop vac.

P1010325.jpg

P1010246.jpg

P1010250.jpg

Mr Henkle- You are the man!

Where do you find or can you show us what the plastic container was before you installed? I played with an old 2 row planter and finally gave up. Was looking at an old drill (because I can't justify a no-till) but thought to get enough seed to function right that I'd end up with lots of waste. Now I'm going to start looking again.

The bottles are from Germany and are very expensive….. They run about 300 bucks a piece, but for you I could set you up for a beer and a batter dipped tenderloin from the Hills Bar and Grill….. lol

All kidding a side, they are throw away developer bottles from Germany. I’ll start saving, it will take a month or so… They work great in the JD drills with the bottoms hacked off.

I’ll post a pic of a bottle in the next day or so, none handy at the moment.

Great idea!!!! If you can set me up for my 13x7 drill it would be appreciated? How about a beer or two in exchange at the classic? I plan on picking up some eagle soybean seeds while i am there as well. Let me know???

I'll start collecting...

If you want to get started, your going to need to cut a ~3/4” thick board that fits the bottom of your grain drill snuggly (table saw required, sides are ~45*). Locate an adjustable hole-saw for a drill press. Note the board will have to be cut in ~3rds to slide in under the existing metal bracing. (Measure your cuts so they fall in between the seed pickup areas). Mark the center of the seed pickup openings on the board. This is as far as you can go with out the bottles. Shoot me a PM in a big month or so…

I want to do that to my grain drill

I love that modification of your grain drill. I have a very similar JD Van Brunt grain drill model FB 13x7. I would like to do just what you have done, but would like to know where to get those plastic bottles that you have used. I can send money for beer and steak!

Al

Here’s the mod. Cut the bottom off of these sturdy plastic containers, siliconed them upside down and added some 2x4 bracing. The containers taper to a funnel on the bottom end and cover the pickup area. The drill will function with a lot less seed and you can co-plant in one pass. I set the drill for a corn rate and try to split the difference in planting depth between the two. Last year I put three rows of beans between the rows of corn. The drill row spacing is 7 inches. Clean up and seed changes are a snap with a small shop vac.

P1010325.jpg

P1010246.jpg

P1010250.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom