Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kansas 07 turkey hunt

Blue Ribbon 1

Well THA4's post got me to reliving the past so I thought I would share. I killed my highest scoring turkey ever last spring in Kansas on public ground. I was invited to meet 3 guys I have never seen before for a hunt and it turned out great we had all talked on the NWTF board for a while and one mentioned he had been in Kansas the last 3 springs trying for a RIo. He said there were alot of birds but the hunting was tough. I agreed to go for a weekend and I left on Friday morning I met one of the guys in Platte City,Mo. This was a fellow Iowan from Harlan. We hit it off and headed for central Kansas we arrived in just enough time to see one WMA that looked good so we decided to try it the next morning.It worked out well for me Here is my Bird I killed at around 10 am on that WMA

100_08791.jpg

He had 3 good beards on him
100_0875.jpg

We went to another WMA and my new buddy from Harlan took this 2 year old bird at around 2 pm
100_0882.jpg

Due to us only having a short time to hunt we had only bought one tag each. We went and bought another tag each and then realized you cant hunt on a tag the day you buy it. Which sucked. The other fellas that were coming out were from Massachutes they arrived late Sat. Night. It was afather and son and they were both new to turkey hunting the son had been out to this exact spot for the last three years with no luck. We decided that my buddy would take the father and I would take the son the next morning. As you can see the Iowa boys made you all proud we had 2 birds dead by 8 o'clock for our new friends.

Happy Father and Son!
100_0897.jpg

100_0889.jpg

We had to leave by 11 am to be home so we did not get to fill our other 2 tags. It was a great Day and a half of hunting! We killed 4 birds total and the Mass. guys had finally filled their tags the father killed his first bird which was a jake. The son killed his best bird ever which had a 12in beard and weighed right at 19 lbs.

I am headed back out there this spring with some fellow IW members in April. I can not wait till turkey season!

I knew you killed a good KS bird last year, but this is the first I have heard the story. Sweet bird and good job representing Iowa and IW!

Top Bottom