Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

keeping the bugs off the apple trees?

hillrunner

PMA Member
I went out to check the apple trees last weekend to find out that 90% of the apples on the trees are full of holes . I have sprayed them all down 4 different times this summer with a fruit tree spray. The bottle said no more than 6 treatments a year and I was getting ready to give them the 5th coat.This was the first year for these trees to produce fruit and things looked excellent up to now.
Anything else that could have been done to keep in mind for next year?

Yes and no, in my opinion.
Thing is, there are a variety of standard tree fruit insecticides out there. However, the premixed "home orchard" types generally use either Malathion or Sevin, or a combo of both. That's it......and that's the problem. Lots of insects are resistant to those. And by just using those you encourage more resistance. Like using the same antibiotic every time you're sick.
If you see that you're having insect damage and have been spraying regularly with a home orchard blend, its time to use something else. Penn State has a good on-line book that describes most common insects at certain times of the year and what insecticides to use. Other good on-line info sources as well.

I mix in Permathrin & Neem oil into general fruit spray as well. Permathrin will keep down about any bug out there for at least a couple weeks. Up the % on Permathrin.

Don't you have to pretty much spray while they are blossoming or it's hopeless after that? This is what I've heard. I've seen a lot of apples on the ground already but it's been very dry up here in Allamakee and parts of Wisconsin.

Most important time to plant is just before or just at bud break. That is when a lot of bugs can lay their eggs on your future forming fruit. After that its pretty much just leaf damage from various insects or scab or cedar apple rust on the fruit or leaves. Best spray for disease is Immunox. You can usually only find that at Lowes or on line.

Are you looking to market unblemished fruit or feeding wildlife?

The deer don't care about ugly fruit.

+1. Why kill unintended targets/pollinators just so deer have a good looking apple to eat this fall? I used to spray the crap outta my apples until I realized I was doing more harm than good. Your apples may be smaller and uglier and perhaps not as plentiful but the deer in my neighborhood don't give two craps about how they look. Trail cam pics from my spray daze to non spray are the same. Save some money, save some bugs, don't spray.

Is true for me. I take better care of the fruit I have for my eating compared to what I have out in the field for the wildlife. Spraying before bud break saves the pollinators. The fungal spray on the leaves doesn't hurt them.

That was my thoughts too. If they are for deer, don't bother feeding them pesticides or sprays IMO. Not mentioning the harm they can cause the pollinators u need to grow apples in the first place.

I went out to check the apples today and these little buggers were destroying a few of them.
picture.php

Probably depends if they are all damaged or not. I don't spray my orchard and end up with enough for human consumption and throw the damaged ones to the livestock, animals don't mind eating some worms and bad spots.

I don't have apples, but on my peach tree next year I was going to try bagging the peaches. You just put some type of bag (try the fruit and orchards forum for advice on what kind to use) over the apple in the spring, and the insects can't get to it. If you have a lot of apples it would be easier to do a spray, but bagging is more enviromentally friendly and is supposed to work well. I haven't done it myself yet though as I didn't get any peaches this year.

Top Bottom