Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kid friendly loads for M-loader

huntdoc

We have a long late season for muzzleloaders here. I was debating what would be adequate for deer and not pack too much punch for my 10 year old to tolerate. Planning to keep his range fairly short, 50 yards and under for now. He worries a lot about kick. Any experience is appreciated.

Huntdoc, you should try a few different loads. For my nephew, we did 75 grains and a 245 grain power belt, and wouldn't let him shoot over 75 yards. With that load, it didn't kick, and was very accurate. His was one of those that got kicked by a shotgun when he was younger, and didn't like a gun to kick AT ALL. Use ear muffs when practicing with the gun, and it will not kick any worse than a .22.

huntdoc,
My son is 7 years old and I set him up with 80 grains of powder with a 250 grain bullet coming out of a 50. TC Omega and it has plenty of punch. He has shot 2 does with that load and dropped them both in their tracks. His 1st deer ever in the youth season and then he shot one on sunday 1st. shotgun season. One was about 45 yards and the second was 27 yards. I wont let him shoot much farther than 50 yards even though he can consistently put the bullets in an eight inch target, it is alot different shooting at a live animal. With your son being 10 he should be able to handle 100 grains of powder. Im sure my son can handle it also but we are working our way up the ladder. He will be shooting 100 grains next year.Just start him out with the 80 grains and see how he likes it. If he dont think its bad take it up to 100 and see how that goes. Hope this helps.

my nine year old bro shot his with 100 grains of pyrodex and 245 aerotip. He practiced with the 22 mag. and only shot the muzz at deer.

My son killed his first deer with my Encore muzzy loaded with 100 gr. and 250 gr. bullet. i almost ruined him when he was 7 trying to shoot a shotgun so he was very "gun shy" also. He loves this gun and will shoot targets all day if I'd let him. I think this will work great for ya! Good Luck!!

My 11 year old daughter shot her first deer during youth season with 80 gr of pyrodex and a 180 hornady sabot. Worked great with very little recoil (I also put a slip on recoil pad on the gun "just in case").

I'd put him on a light shooting gun and you go sight in the muzzy.. then when the time comes.. tell him it kicks the same and when he shoots a deer.. he wont know the difference!

When you shoot an animal or at an animal.. all kick is forgotten!

50 grains triple 7, 260 grain bullet and a limb saver recoil pad for my 8 and 10 year old. I too kept the shots to 50 yards or under. It can be tempting to let them try a longer shot, but I liked the look on their face better when they connected instead of when they missed. Here are the results. The doe was hit a little far back and ran about 150 yards. The buck flipped over and ran only 70 yards. Its all about the shot placement. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
298HPIM0426.JPG
HPIM0449.JPG

My kids are shooting 50 grains of Triple 7 with a 180 grain TC Shockwave out of a .45 cal Rossi Youth model. My daughter has killed her deer and I'll be taking my son out again this weekend!

Top Bottom