Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killing Mature or Older bucks for your area is EASY, all you need to do is....

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
All you need to do is just these 500 things! Guaranteed to kill a mature or older buck for your area! ;) :)
Having a little fun here. I was thinking of "small to big" all the crazy elements that need to come together to kill mature bucks. Things from Strategy to MATHEMATICS (yes, MATH!). Here's a start!
So, say your area produces 2 year olds on consistency but you want to hunt a "rare" 4 year old. Or, there's only a buck or 2 in the area that gets 5+ (or even if there's more) - how do you get a crack at that "older & more rare class of bucks"?

1) MATH..... Usually, you need to pass, let's say for example, 10 younger bucks for 1 older buck you finally see. If you shot the 1st buck you saw, 10 out of 11 times, it would be a younger buck. Simply because older usually means: RARE & SMARTER. I'll give you an example.... Growing up in HORRIBLE HUNTING - MICHIGAN.... as a kid, I saw about 12 bucks a year. A YEAR! Some years I saw all 1.5 year olds. When I got a 2 year old, I literally had to pass 7-10 1.5 year olds before I got a crack at the 2.5 year old. Same in better areas, IMO..... You want to shoot a "5+" for example.... I'd GUESS a person will have to pass 10-20 3-4 year olds, on average, before you get a crack at a 5 year old. SOME YEARS YOU WON'T KILL A BUCK TOO!!!! KEEP THIS IN MIND!!! IF YOU CAN'T EAT A TAG- this all might not relate here.
2) Hunting where mature bucks live. If you want to shoot a 5 year old BUT hunt where 2 year olds get blown to bits - you may be wasting your time or need to figure out what's "older" for that area & realistic.
3) UNDERSTANDING: Mature bucks DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE! Mature bucks are a vastly different animal. You might be able to go in an area often & the deer come back... Most folks don't realize, the mature bucks won't.
4) Pressure, entrances, exits.... Too much pressure on mature bucks: push em out, avoid that area or they go nockturnal. I used to hunt the same stand way too much. Couldn't figure out why the bucks I "knew were there" never made an appearance.
5) If able - killing a fully mature & extremely aggressive buck so as many as 2-3 bucks might fill the vacuum of this old warrior, thus increasing how many mature bucks are there to hunt.
6) Anything you can do to create thick or undisturbed sanctuaries & undisturbed desireable food nearby. Year round food if planted correctly. Not everyone can do this, I realize it.
7) Making the shot.... obvious, just takes experience to have "calmer" nerves & keep composer & not make as many mistakes. I literally had to shoot a lot of does growing up to help my nerves & help me learn from MANY mistakes. I'll still make mistakes but thank goodness I goofed up on a lot of does (say moving, not drawing at right time, getting really nervous, whatever) & helps now when a mature buck comes in.
8) Finding ways to avoid the crowds or find spots where a mature buck is that's overlooked. I grew up hunting a lot of public. Some is overlooked. Some areas are so far back, you lose the people/pressure. Sometimes a little draw in a field has not had a hunter in it all season, it's hard to hunt BUT rare/odd things like that can be the key. Getting permission on better farms, simply TIME & HARD WORK.
9) Days and days of hunting. I used to think: 7 days in stand, DONE DEAL! No way. Not gonna get it done with consistency on limited time/effort or schedule. Life is busy BUT - not skipping those cold Oct hunts or a cold AM & sleeping in, you simply need to put in a lot of sits to make it work. Making sure you are out in the key best days too- don’t get burned out hunting days that are predictably poor days.
10) Hunting is CHALLENGING but rewarding & enjoyable - it should be to all, IMO. Nothing in life is EASY. Would we want it to be? Having the attitude that FUN & hard work/Challenge can go hand in hand. Does it suck to not see a deer for 3 days straight? SURE. The guys that overcome that & keep plugging usually end up overcoming it and being successful. If challenge isn't a part of hunting, go buy some beef at the store & save some $!
10) Learn from guys who do kill mature or older bucks for area with consistency. Some of the guys that taught me the most had a unique passion and knowledge for hunting. They made mistakes. Still do to this day. But, be a sponge with these people, pick their brains. COINCIDENCES in hunting aren't really coincidences.
I was going to stick to 10 BUT, I'm gonna hit 11 :)....
11) TRYING to move past & overcome "big buck jealousy". I'll admit it to all.... When i was younger, someone I knew shot a giant, I got jealous. I did. Nothing I can do to "just not do it".... with age & success & maturing, it does go away. I'm genuinely happy for others who shoot old deer. This is HARD!!!!!! I've been there & overcome it and it's not easy. Few will admit it's prevalent but it is. I say to folks I know "Hunting is a Man's Soap Opera" "Drama for dudes". Always has been, always will be. Do you best to overcome this and work through it. Spend the time in the timber, get away from the crowds the best you can. Realize, it doesn't matter if everyone you know shoots 50 deer over 250" or no one you know shoots a single buck. This is NOT what hunting is about. It's an experience about yourself & the great outdoors God created for us to manage, enjoy and be at peace with.

Those are my 11 thoughts on killing or getting a crack at mature or older bucks for your area with "some consistency". Only "500 things" to do so you're successful so we only have about 489 more to go!! :) GO, what's some to add?

Last edited:
12. Use trail cams to validate that there are mature bucks present where you hunt. We do not use them to pinpoint pattern them, although that can be done as well. We know our farm so well that we know where we can get shots once the hunting is right. But focus your efforts where it is known that a big buck is truly a possibility.

13. If I didn't have a farm to hunt and I wanted to shoot a big buck in an area where the permission is tough to get...I would scout hard during the summer and early fall and get permission on areas that are adjacent to the "good stuff" that may be off limits. I am referring mainly to standing corn fields within a 1/2 mile or so to good timber. Scout the waterways and find a spot to intercept Mr. Big that is spending a lot of time in the standing corn during the first couple weeks of the season. They will often move pretty freely during daylight hours too, as they rarely encounter human intrusion until the day the combine shows up that is.

14. Hunt smart. Don’t pressure that primo rut stand Oct 12 just because it you know it is in a great spot. Put Stands up for specific tines of the year and only hunt then during those times

15. Put the phone away. Yes it is a great way to kill the time and stay on stand longer but leave that thing in your pocket as long as possible. Thankfully a couple of farms I hunt have no service, pretty amazing at what you would miss if you were staring at the phone

16. Scout all year. Drive the roads in the summer. Run cams but put them in areas you don’t have to disturb. Look at the changes during season ( rub lines, scrapes, etc) after season scout hard to see what you missed in terms of run lines, etc as they generally are not a coincidence, shed hunt to find horns but also to see what the deer do late on your farm

17. Create a spot on your farm that you do not access, ever. A few acres of inaccessible ground goes a long way

18. Challenge yourself every year. Tell yourself you will eat a tag unless a deer is X years old or XYZ score. This will make you a better hunter for sure and you will learn a ton with the extra days in stand

19. Ignore the horns. I take mine with as a tool in case I see a monster but blind rattling 10 tines on a sit will only alert the big ol mature bucks in my opinion.

20. Balance the herd. Get your doe to buck ratio in check so the big boys are forced to move during the rut. If you have 50 does on a 100 acre parcel he doesn’t have to move very far once he breeds and goes looking for the next lady. If you balance the herd you force the big deer to move more

If your hunting area shows no mature bucks early season through first half of rut of rut don't give up all hope. Be sure to put in some seat time weekend before Thanksgiving to the end. Case in point. Last year took my son to a farm that has decent doe, young buck population Sunday evening before Thanksgiving. I had 2 mature bucks, 1 the second biggest I've ever seen on the hoof, cruising looking for does. Unfortunately, I was tagged out. I have seen this on this farm multiple times. Shoot a young one or give up early thinking they're not there and you miss out.

More on number 11, fun competition is in good fun but if jealousy gets involved the fun often goes by the way side. I've found that challenging myself to new goals or new personal bests rather than trying to kill the biggest deer on the internet or ALWAYS trying to shoot the biggest deer in the group is a much healthier approach.

I like to deploy cameras in mid to late October in potential rut cruising spots and leave them until December. This allows me to hunt known areas while letting the camera do the scouting for next years hotspot. Some of these spots don’t look that great in terms of sign but can be a hidden gem when bucks are really moving.

If you don't have a place to hunt that holds big bucks, forget about all the above information.

Keep in mind what the post was... killing big bucks for your area. In MI- a 2 year old where I was at was a tough thing to find & when I was a few years into hunting- that was my goal.
Maybe the key or an additional # or idea on killing one..... get in the car- drive to where a big buck might be and knock on doors. There’s plenty of public that does have the rare older buck with CONSISTENCY as well. Killing him is really hard like anywhere but there’s lots of places a guy can drive to & go hunt em.

.... Spend as much time possible in the best spots possible as scent free as possible using the best entry and exit routes possible at the best times of the year as possible on the best properties possible with the best genetics possible and practice with your weapon as much as possible so you are prepared to make the best shot possible.....

Find the biggest buck slayer in the county and lease his ground ! Nothing money wont fix !!!!

Last edited:
Find the biggest buck slayer in the county and lease his ground ! Nothing money wont fix !!!!
Ha!!!
Here’s a combo that would blow ur mind..... set a “dumb dumb” up with $50 million dollars in farms. Paid security officers & unlimited food plots, etc. There’s enough guys I know who couldn’t get it done with a bow. I personally know guys who have “more ground & $ than u can imagine” & do not: manage or hunt their ground right & have “mediocre at best” results. Seriously. I know guys who have serious “degrees” and are “smarty pants smart” & have no common sense for hunting. (No- no one that’s on here so if my buddies read this- NO - not u!!! ;). ). $ & “smarty pants” do not translate into big bucks.
Now- absolutely- give a killer hunter a few thousand acres & give him/her resources to manage it- sure- amazing things will happen & that’s a huge advantage. Incredibly rare though.
If I had to honestly assess the “big buck assassins” I know..... most do NOT have lots of $ or big tracts of land. I know many who consistently shoot older bucks than guys with $ & big farms. Buddy of mine who has permission on farms no bigger than 80 acres shoots mature deer most years. Another buddy who shoots mature bucks almost yearly & never hunts private - all public land, 100%. Skill trumps $ any day. Be nice to have the combo though :)

Ha!!!
Here’s a combo that would blow ur mind..... set a “dumb dumb” up with $50 million dollars in farms. Paid security officers & unlimited food plots, etc. There’s enough guys I know who couldn’t get it done with a bow. I personally know guys who have “more ground & $ than u can imagine” & do not: manage or hunt their ground right & have “mediocre at best” results. Seriously. I know guys who have serious “degrees” and are “smarty pants smart” & have no common sense for hunting. (No- no one that’s on here so if my buddies read this- NO - not u!!! ;). ). $ & “smarty pants” do not translate into big bucks.
Now- absolutely- give a killer hunter a few thousand acres & give him/her resources to manage it- sure- amazing things will happen & that’s a huge advantage. Incredibly rare though.
If I had to honestly assess the “big buck assassins” I know..... most do NOT have lots of $ or big tracts of land. I know many who consistently shoot older bucks than guys with $ & big farms. Buddy of mine who has permission on farms no bigger than 80 acres shoots mature deer most years. Another buddy who shoots mature bucks almost yearly & never hunts private - all public land, 100%. Skill trumps $ any day. Be nice to have the combo though :)
So true!!!!!!!!! We all know the guys who try to buy big bucks with big $$$. Money never will buy the savvy to consistently kill mature deer.

Ha!!!

I agree some people just don’t have the killer instinct it takes to get it done .. how many people do you know that have amazing ground / opportunities but don’t put any effort/interest forth and eat tag soup year after year because they don’t have the drive . Big big Farm kids with huge untouched timber tracks who hunt them 3 times a year ... they don’t know what they have and what the rest of us would kill to have .

The public land big buck killers is a whole different category if you ask me and have the most respect from me than anyone. I’d rather see a 150-160 inch deer taken on public ground then some 180-200 inch deer taken from some sacred deer farm Bill Winke or Mark Drury fairy tale perfect deer farm they created over the years . Not down talking those guys that have the farms cause we’d all love to have them and they put work in them , but to me I’m not in their shoes and have those farms or that kind of management and neither does the majority of Iowans , so - I don’t like to watch it . It doesn’t relate to me . You take half these farms away from some of these clowns on TV and make them hunt some public ground you’d fill a 10 acre fishing pond with all their tears .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting thread! I’ve often wondered the what and why to this game and how are some so successful. Is it access/ownership of top quality property, management of that property, an eye for great stand sets, the best equipment, time in the stand??? Like anything I’m guessing it’s a combination there of but some guys just have the IT factor. My grandfather had the it factor walleye fishing. You could mimic everything he was using and he’d get it done and you’d go o for everything. Guess I’m adding time in stand and the IT factor. I used to have the time thing but not so much on the other.

Very interesting thread! I’ve often wondered the what and why to this game and how are some so successful. Is it access/ownership of top quality property, management of that property, an eye for great stand sets, the best equipment, time in the stand??? Like anything I’m guessing it’s a combination there of but some guys just have the IT factor. My grandfather had the it factor walleye fishing. You could mimic everything he was using and he’d get it done and you’d go o for everything. Guess I’m adding time in stand and the IT factor. I used to have the time thing but not so much on the other.

I would definitely agree with the idea that any type of continued success is a combination of factors. Some people just go through the motions or do what they did last year or saw someone else do, with little current analysis of the conditions. Recently, I was a chaperone on a school field trip and I helped the kids fish, many of them for the first time. Granted, these kids were 4th graders and it would be a lot to expect for them to truly analyze the little pond that they were going to fish, but I tried with each group to cause them to think about where their chances would be better around that pond.

I explained to them that in early spring that normally the north side of the pond would have warmer water, etc, and possibly better fishing. That went over the head of many of them, but one little guy came up to me after they had been released to start fishing and he asked me several follow up questions...good questions. Yes, that boy had also been fishing before, but he probably caught 3-4 times as many fish as any of the rest of them. You could say that he was a natural...but to me, what he was is inquisitive and thoughtful. He gathered more information and "analyzed" more than any of them...and caught more fish too, which I don't think was a coincidence. I suspect that this boy will be successful on many future fishing or hunting trips.

In order to kill big bucks you HAVE to hunt where there are big bucks...but from that point forward there are many factors that come into play and A LOT of them come down to the individual hunter and how active of a thinker he is.

Top Bottom