Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake Keomah hunting

B

boatman

Went out tonight for the first ever doe thinning at Lake Keomah. Nasty weather, lots of wind, lots of rain. Really thought about getting out about 5:30 due to the
weather.

Oh heck I stuck it out, the rain quit, the wind stayed. The temps dropped about 15 degrees in less than 10 minutes. Around 6 a doe and two yunguns rolled into view. They were working out away from me, didnt figure I would get a shot until mama stepped into a small clearing. I estimated her at 30, settled the pin on her and sent the 2213 and Shockwave on its way. Double lung and clipped the heart. Pretty happy, this is the first I have ever killed on opening day. Special lake hunt to thin out the population is working out. Gonna have steaks tomorrow!!!

Way to go Boatman!!! I am stuck at work and reading the posts that are sharing their good luck is keeping me going!!!
Enjoy the steak dinner.
beerchug.gif

congrats boatman. i almost hung it up too in the driving rain but hung in till the end. i was standind in row 2 of a cornfield and had a 115 or 120 inch 8 pointer at 12 yards for a few minutes. i wish it would have been a doe..........

Congrats Boatman! I am looking forward to hangin my stand this weekend out there and filling one of my tags. I was going to go out there today, but the deaths of two young boys here in Oskaloosa last night and the unexpected phone call that one of them was a friend of two of my sons has kept me home with them. I look forward to hunting with ya sometime soon.

Joe

not be noisy release hunter but wut happened? sorry for ur sons i went through the same thing two years ago i lost all three my best friends in car accident two years ago nov 15 i we were sophmores in high school!

Yes Joe, I understand this is just a terrible thing. My son is 11 and he did not know either of the two boys. I will tell you what though, it is an eye opener, makes you think about what you have. My wife and I were about sick when we heard the news. I found out this morning at work from my boss that drove by shortly after it happened. Sure makes a town of 10,000 people seem small.

16 pt, to answer your question, two 14 year old boys got hit on a bicycle last night by a couple of cars. Both lost their lives unfortunatley. No fowl play as far as I have heard, just in the wrong place.

Its very sad that this happened, and I wish the best for the parents. I could NOT ever imagine the devestation they are feeling.

Ye, it does hit close to home. My sons now realize why we are so strict with them on not allowing them to ride their bicycles after dark.

What happened is that 2 boys, riding on 1 bicycle, after dark, were struck from behind by a vehicle. One of the boys was thrown into another lane, right in front of another vehicle and hit once again, throwing him through the windshield. Both boys were killed, unfortunately.

To make matters worse, my middle son, was driving home with my wife and came upon the accident, fortunately not realizing it was one of his classmates involved.

It is a sad day here in Oskaloosa.

Joe

To get back to the huntin' at Keomah, tomorrow we are taking our boys to Cabela's for their first time ever in Owatonna, MN. I will be in my treestand sometime Monday at Keomah. I am looking quite forward to this, since this is the first time in 3 years I have hunted since getting hurt in the military.

I am gonna Git R Done

Update on Keomah.

Went out tonight with one a good freind and fellow hunter who is also making a new video. He is the same pal of mine that filmed and produced "along with some of my help" the Bowfish Iowa video.
Took our climbers out and set everything up with pretty good feelings about this evening. Everything came together around 6pm and I connected with a doe and we got some good film. Kinda killed two birds with one stone. The ugly part was that she ran downhill and away from the truck. SO.... I earned this one. 200 yards uphill (steep) and 300 yards flat back to the truck. I am shot.

Turned out to be a great hunt as everything fell together, now I have to repay and set in the stand with the camera and get him doing the same.

Congrats! Headed to the stand right now! Gonna try a mid day hunt, as I have seen deer movement in my area that I chose all through out the day. I hope I don't need your help Boatman.
smirk.gif
Those hills are steep in places. Will let everyone know the results.

Hope you have good luck!
The first doe I got last Friday ran toward the truck after the shot. Saturdays went away from the truck and down into a ravine and died in a wood pile. Had to do some serious dragging.

Lemme know how you do!

I hunted in an area just to the south and East of the Ranger Station. Sat in the stand for 3 1/2 hours and did not see a single deer. Done some bleating and lost fawn calls to no avail. So I used the time to be one on one with the Lord. I done some praying and read my Bible for an hour. I have a church class tonight at 6:30 so I decided to end this hunt and try to find another area for another day. Unfortunately, I had some problems. During my climb down I got about 12-15 feet from the ground, my bottom platform cable broke and there I was hanging with out the platform. Fortunately I always have my Seat-of-the-Pants full body harness to where it is snug at all times to the tree with no slack. The fall wasn't far, but enough to end up with a couple facial scrapes and some sore muscles. I struggled for 20-30 minutes trying to get my platform fixed and remounted, and found myself gettting tired. So what do I resort too? Whistling loudly and yelling, in hopes someone would hear me. After 57 minutes of hanging, I finally heard voices tryng to find my location. Four DNR officers and a resident of Keomah found me. They had no idea what i needed or what the situation was and by the time they had reached me, I had pulled myself back up to where I was seated on the top part my climber. One of the officers went to get a ladder and they were able to get my cable to the last unbroken notch, hooked up and I was able to climb the rest of the way down.

It will be a couple of days before I get back to the timber as I have talked to Summit Tree Stands about this situation. They informed me that 3 of these very stands, including mine now, have broken. They also manufacture the Seat-of-the-Pants safety harness. Summit is sending me a new harness and climber. My other two climbers are rated too small for me to use, or I would use them. I will just have to wait I guess. I really felt at home back in the timber and in my tree stand after waiting nearly three years to heal from my injury in the military. It is going to be a long wait until those things get here and I can get back out there.
frown.gif

The main thing is that I am ok. I cannot stress the importance of a full body harness and properly wearing one at all times. We have read of too many accidents this year already on here of our fellow hunters and members falling. We have all fortunately lived another day and been graced by God to hunt again.

Joe

Boatman? Do you have a portable or fixed ladder stand out there? I'll pay you to use it until mine comes in.

Joe,

Gosh, I am glad you are OK thats a serious thing. Good thing someone heard you to come help. That is one nice thing about hunting in a populated area anyway.

I have a ladder stand up that I was considering pulling down now that I have filled both tags. You are more than welcome to use it until you get your replacement. Its gatting late and I have to study for class tomorrow. I will call you tomorrow night and get things set up. You are welcome to move it or what ever you want as I still have a spare portable setting here along with my climber. No problems and for gosh sakes, I would not think of wanting anything for the use of it. I actually loaned a homemade stand to a younger guy thats hunting there, he has filled both of his tags out of it. The first two deer he has ever taken with a bow he got out of the stand I loaned him. Makes me feel pretty good I could help him.

I'll get with you tomorrow (Tues.)

Thanks Pat! I am sure that mine will be in by Friday. There is paperwork to do with Summit, as they track each and every accident with their stands. I also gave them some very good ideas that may be seen on some new stands, as well as a field fix for those. like myself, that already have one of their stands. It is nice to be a part of hunting and have faith in products that we use, knowing that they will help out their consumers.

I am a little sore right now, but I am wanting to get right back out to the field and in a stand to fill my two tags asap. Then it is on to my other hunting areas for that big
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
! Thanks again Pat! You truly are a sportman and friend!

Joe

Pat, I got home a litle late from college and tried to call you right before 10 pm, but your wife said you weren't feelign well. I hope that you get feeling better and I will talk to you tomorrow. The best way to reach me is on my cell.

Joe

Ok here goes. I don't have a Harvest Report yet, but I have a monster buck sighting! Here is my story...

I went to the stand at 2pm this afternoon and settled in for the rest of the afternoon. I few lost fawn bleats to no avail so I waited things out. I saw no deer at all until 5:45 and holy cow!
shocked.gif
I had 4 fawns walk in, 1 button buck and the others does. They walked right to the stand. I finally located the does they were with and she waas sly. She walked in and then before she got into range, she walked into the brush and stayed there, just 15 yards directly in front of me. With arrow nocked, release on the string and standing, I kept a keen eye on the doe, but paid attention to the four fawns under my stand. One movement an they would be gone! Suddenly there were 3 more fawns walking in from behind, and they too joined the others, where else, but right under my stand. A smaller doe suddenly appeared, but stayed behind my stand. The bigger doe stayed right in the brush. We aren't done yet! 2 more does showed up from the direction the other 3 fawns had. No doe in sight from them though. Now I have 9 fawns, directly under me, 1 decent sized doe behind me, and 1 big doe in the brush directly in front of me. Then it happens!

A snort from what sounded like a baby elephant nearly cause me to test my safety harness. The loudest snort I have heard in my life! It came from behind me. I slowly looked to my left and could see it out of the corner of my eye! He was huge! The snorting continued as well as a few grunts. This scared off the smaller does and 5 of the fawns, but the first four fawns and the big doe stayed out. Knowing that we cannot shoot bucks suddenly appeared in my mind. Dang the luck!
mad.gif
I kept a close eye on the doe, waiting for her to acknowledge the buck and present a shot for me. The buck continued grunting and snorting, slowly walking towards the doe, periodically stopping to stomp his hoof in the ground. Amazingly the does started stomping her hoof too! Then the buck reared up on its hind legs, and stomped both hooves in the ground, agressively. The three doe fawns took off in a hurry, startling the doe, in which she took off back towards where they came from, closely followed by the huge buck. The odd thing about this is the button buck stayed right under me for a few seconds and then suddenly darted off in that drection.

I counted 14 points on this buck, and may have missed a couple of smaller, countable points. I would venture to guess that this buck would measure in the 160's to 170's for B&C. Tomorrow I will have my video camera, as well as a digital camera that takes movies! This was truly phenominal and what a thing to witness so early in the season. I would venture to say that rut is in its early stages right now in this area.

Once my knees stopped knocking and I could catch my breath, I climbed down as it was getting dark. I met with our local DNR officer and expained to him what I had just witnessed. He too has saw this same buck, exactly as I had described him. ENORMOUS!

That is my hunting story for tonight. I hope to have both tags filled tomorrow. Our local DNR officer advised me that e was going to look into those of us that are already certified to hunt at Keomah, we may have the chance, after we fill our first two doe tags, we may be offered the chance to get more tags. More on this to come.

Joe

Awesome Joe,

Hope you saw all this out my stand! I too talked to the DNR officer and he told me there were several monsters hanging out in the lake property. I never actually witnessed any, but I only hunted the lake three nights and had full tags. ANYWHO, Jeremy and I are possibly going to hunt Keomah tonight, me armed with the video camara, him with the Firebrand bow.

I hunted my private ground last night and saw nothing, figured the wind had them holed up. I drove through the lake on the way back to town to see if you were around, but didnt know what you were driving, I saw two trucks parked near the silt pond dam, but wasnt sure who it was so I didnt stop.

Pat

Top Bottom