Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake Keomah hunting

So are you hunting out of your stand tonight then? I was planning on using it again tonight around 4pm.

Nope, I will be using my climber. You are more than welcome to use mine! I guess I should have mentioned that. If this wind keeps up, we cannot shoot video that we need so I am not even sure if we are going. I wouldnt use my stand if I told you that you could.

Pat

NP Pat. Heck, why don't we all meet out at Keomah tonight and formulate a plan? We could help each other.

Joe

Wednesday...

I will be out there tonight, Pat. I will be parked above as we discussed or below where you saw Mike and I before.

Joe

Well guys and gals, I got my very first archery doe tonight. Due to my lack of knowledge of gutting properly, I called Boatman and he came out. The doe went fourty yards from my stand and that is where we found her. She was really grey. I did gut the doe my self, for the first time, with some very good supervision. Thanks Boatman for all your help. Being disabled stinks and it sure is nice to have friends to help.

Joe

Back to Keomah this week.

I am headed back to Keomah to fill my last doe tag for this special hunt. It appears as though the deer are moving a lot more and a second deer is gonna fall within range of my Easton Epic carbon arrow tipped with a Spitfire 100 that is projected through the air with my Martin Phantom II bow. Sounds like a NASCAR driver thanking his sponsors...lol.

Re: Back to Keomah this week.

Joe,

Been kinda slackin here lately..... Did ya do any good?
Been meaning to give you a yell, but work has had me so tied down I have not even been huntin much. That IS going to change this week. Starting Tuesday, I will be living in the woods, next week I am hoping to spend several days amongst mother nature!! Cant wait!!!!
Give me a yell if you get another!

Haven't had any luck yet. Been seeing more bucks than does. Dang the luck! I could have shot several B&C Class bucks out there this year, but unfortunately, we can't. I think they should gove more than one buck tag out next year. For those of us that fill both doe tags, we should each get one buck tag. I will call ya if I get one.

The reason Iowa has the big deer they do is by proper managemet and limiting the number of buck tags to one per archer. My philosophy is to shoot the right deer that will make you happy for the remainder of the season and not the first nice one that comes by...besides....with that many B+C deer running your areas, it would be a no brainer to hold out until the third week of november...that is assuming you can kill a buck in this area. Just my opinion

With a lot of people it has to do with their work schedule. Like anyone that deals with anything that has to do with farmers. You know for sure that this time of year is very tuff to get out into the stand. With harvest going on and all. Some of the unlucky guys have to work saturday's or even sundays which really screws things up.
Thank god I only have to work about every other saturday and it is only till noon. But it still sucks working saturdays. Specialy when the waterfowl is getting good. It just kills a guy when you have to sit at work and you know your buddies are pounding on the ducks and geese.

This is the first special season for Lake Keomah that I remember. The DNR decided it was time to thin the population and this year we are limited to two doe tags. Once this season is over, those of us that fill both doe tags go into a drawing and one lucky hunter gets the chance for a buck tag.

Top Bottom