Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Landowner gifts

I really like the calendar idea I tried it last year and just wasn't happy with how they turned out so I never gave them out. We've been life long neighbors with all of them so casual chat and a thank you and respect for their rules goes a long ways. I will be doing the calendar again this year and I'm very happy to say I have more than enough calendar quality pictures.also jerky for the kids and fun pictures of the landowners themselves if I ever happen to get them on camera

Archery talk was not completely fond of the calendar idea. Some member stated landowners could get jealous and take away a lease to hunt it themselves or ease it out for more money. I'm always sure to tell my landowners I run a lot of cameras and the pictures are somewhere in a 45 mile area

^ That is a very real risk when you give gifts. Always a chance that the land owner could take advantage of your tokens of appreciation and demand more payment from you for hunting there to the stage where it's not really even worth hunting the property anymore if they continue to gain more leverage over you. Thankfully, most (not all) of the land owners that give me permission are pretty transparent individuals and the main issues I run into is having to share the ground with relatives of the property owner/s and having to give notice when I want to hunt. I have to remember that it's really a privilege and not a right to be able to hunt the ground.

^ That is a very real risk when you give gifts. Always a chance that the land owner could take advantage of your tokens of appreciation and demand more payment from you for hunting there to the stage where it's not really even worth hunting the property anymore if they continue to gain more leverage over you. Thankfully, most (not all) of the land owners that give me permission are pretty transparent individuals and the main issues I run into is having to share the ground with relatives of the property owner/s and having to give notice when I want to hunt. I have to remember that it's really a privilege and not a right to be able to hunt the ground.

Really if they choose to hunt their land more power to them, they were gracious enough to let me hunt it in the past. Even relatives I'd rather guide them to a good hunt and see their happiness than walk away with nothing but my own experiences

Really if they choose to hunt their land more power to them, they were gracious enough to let me hunt it in the past. Even relatives I'd rather guide them to a good hunt and see their happiness than walk away with nothing but my own experiences

I'm not saying that their is no gratitude on my part and I agree with you. it's just some issues that I'm dealing with. It's more of head ups to people that give gifts or would be thinking of giving gifts. I'm sure most people on here have a great group of landowners that wouldn't take advantage of them and sure that the users appreciate their opportunities to hunt. I was more than less replying to what AT people were saying. Trust me.. I'm just glad that I am not only restricted to the public options in my area. Not trying to start anything... Just replying to what you shared.

Last edited:
As a landowner, the two best gifts, and the most appreciated, were, first and foremost, calling me and asking me for permission consistently. I may have let you hunt there four years ago, but that doesn't mean you have running permission, as one guy thought. Second was a pound of some high end bacon. Yep bacon. It was some of the best I ever tasted and came out of a ma and pa locker. Who don't like bacon? As far as the leasing argument and landowners taking advantage of you...chill out. Just ask, say thanks, don't leave a mess, and be nice. Sheeesh

As a landowner, the two best gifts, and the most appreciated, were, first and foremost, calling me and asking me for permission consistently. I may have let you hunt there four years ago, but that doesn't mean you have running permission, as one guy thought. Second was a pound of some high end bacon. Yep bacon. It was some of the best I ever tasted and came out of a ma and pa locker. Who don't like bacon? As far as the leasing argument and landowners taking advantage of you...chill out. Just ask, say thanks, don't leave a mess, and be nice. Sheeesh
Exactly! I only park on one neighbors land to walk to my stand, but still ask every year and ask every time I walk the property thru the year. This year he told me how he kicked a relative off his property, but I'm more than welcome any time! And I will continue to ask every time out of respect.

alright, thanks for replying and appreciate your point of view. I wasn't trying to start anything or rub people off the wrong way. I will learn to deal with it.

Archery talk was not completely fond of the calendar idea. Some member stated landowners could get jealous and take away a lease to hunt it themselves or ease it out for more money. I'm always sure to tell my landowners I run a lot of cameras and the pictures are somewhere in a 45 mile area

Obviously, I should have been more specific. I rarely use any trail cam pics. I use landscape photos, wildlife pics and harvest pics that i take from around their properties. Here's a few from this years calendar.

Top Bottom