Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

last chance saloon question

nockthru

If you were to hunt on Fri. afternoon and shoot a deer you are unable to recover that night (ie, forced to back out due to a gut shot). Are you able to recover the animal the next day even though the season is over? Thanks again to all of you who offer your knowledge to newbs like me.

I don't think that is specifically detailed in the regs. If I was in that situation I would likely give the CO a call friday night and just let him know what was going on. You wouldn't be able to take a gun with you the next day but I'd hate to be caught dragging a dead deer out of the timber a day after the season ends.

I suppose at that point, knowing it is more than likely a dead deer, just punch the tag and call it in. You have until midnight the next day still I would assume? Good question

This scenario played out for us a few years ago hunting in an area that had dozens of deer. Last day of the season we shot 3 does if I remember correctly (Dec 31 in MN). Found 2 right away and then tracked the next one on NY Day. I think we called the warden and he gave us the go ahead.

We had 48 hours to report/register the deer.

My thought is yes, able to. Otherwise you are potentially leaving an animal to waste. Giving the CO a call about it wouldn't be a bad idea tho. And definitely not taking a gun the next day (unless you have a late anterless tag for that county).

I was thinking about getting a late muzzy tag and hunting it with a bow (I have not hunted a firearm season yet).
Additional Question: If hunting with a bow during late muzzy do you have to wear blaze orange?

I was thinking about getting a late muzzy tag and hunting it with a bow (I have not hunted a firearm season yet).
Additional Question: If hunting with a bow during late muzzy do you have to wear blaze orange?

That is a good question- I have hunted muzzy season with my bow as well but always have worn Orange- I hunt on private land but still wouldn't want someone walking around with a gun and not see me off in the distance before they shot!

Wow, buying a tag this late in the year... thats brave! but awesome in the same sense... I would think you have to wear Orange since its a "gun" tag...as far as the tagging, you have until the next day to report, so not sure how that wouldnt cover you recovering a deer...clearly no gun

Hmm...not sure if the orange requirement is tag specific or weapon specific. Interested to hear the answer to this one.

Wow, buying a tag this late in the year... thats brave! but awesome in the same sense... I would think you have to wear Orange since its a "gun" tag...as far as the tagging, you have until the next day to report, so not sure how that wouldnt cover you recovering a deer...clearly no gun

I know it's probably a wasted tag at this point but it will be a long spring and summer of not sitting in silence 20 ft. up.

Its never a wasted tag as long as you enjoy yourself!! I did not mean it in a negative way

i guess i always thought the only time u had to wear orange was during the shotgun seasons??

After re-reading the regs.. it does say the only time you need orange is when using a firearm.. so I would say you wont need it

After re-reading the regs.. it does say the only time you need orange is when using a firearm.. so I would say you wont need it

That's the way I took it too, but I thought I would see what you all thought.
Thanks again everybody.

Top Bottom