Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last day to gun hunt buck

ironwood

I harvested this buck earlier today. I'll post pictures and story later. This picture was taken 3 or 4 days ago.
547Bruce2004buck_095-med.jpg

547Scan46.jpg

547P6090015resized-med.jpg

547Fall_2004_deer_020resized-med.jpg

547Fall_2004_deer_017resized-med.jpg

Ok, the top photo is this buck in January with his 03 rack. I am guessing he is a good 2 1/2 year old. The second picture is the first week of June 04. I have two trail camera pictures of him from last week one of which started this post; I think it was taken on the 14th. This deer carries a scar across the top of his back that I put there on October 23 with a 100 grain spitfire followed closely by a Beaman ICS 400. I had told a few folk that I took a DNA sample off a 160ish buck and wanted to cry about it. He was very neat to look at with all of his tines in place. I've been a gun hunter for about sixteen years and the gun hunter instincts jump forward today as a very large group of deer suddenly ran in and surrounded me, pushed to me by MadisonB&C. I intended to shoot a 140 class eight but could not find him in my sights as he closed to about five yards. My new variable powered scope set to 7 power, blew it. As I lower my gun to take in all of the action around me I see several large does standing with me only feet away. GROCERIES, jumped into my mine, but I still could not find a deer that close in the sights. Quickly adjusting to the lowest magnification I turn to see what deer still remain in view. This guy is one of the last deer in view. Shooting Winchester Gold Partitions and knowing my abilities I quickly let one fly. 146 yards and it was clear the shot was fatal immediately. I hurried forward hoping to see the deer go down. The dance I did not get to see but the buck let one of the biggest blood trails I've ever seen. Upon walking up to the buck I immediately knew it was a deer we had pictures of from last week and soon realized he was the same buck I had the close encounter with in October. Although I am thrilled with this deer and the stories related to it, I sure wish he was my bow harvest and holding all of his inches as viewed from 35 yards in October.

Nice buck Mike! Too bad he had to pick a fight with every buck in the surrounding counties. Congrats.

Congrats Ironwood, way to stick it out til the end. Looks like you found his core area in the early goings. Any sheds to him?

Hey did I forget to mention all of these before pictures where taken with three different Vman setups The best of which is the last modification. I'll have another camera like it working soon I hope. Thanks Jason

congrats on a good one ironwood........ whatever you were doing to that scrape in the other trail cam pics, must have worked
grin.gif
maybe i could get you to come over to ohio and help out some of my scrapes next year
grin.gif

nice job mike

that is exactly the reason i don't put a 3x9 scope on my muzzleloader. 1.5x4 is PLENTY. especially when the shot is under 200 yds. the only time i crank up the magnification, is for checking for bucks at a long distance. when set on the lowest power, it is easy to pick up moving deer at close ranges in the timber.
nice shootin
waytogo.gif

Great story and what persistance!! Looks like he had his way with a few of the other bucks in the neighborhood.

Heck of a nice buck and a great hunting story. I bet it is pretty cool have trial cams of the deer you harvested. Congratulations!
waytogo.gif

Ron

Great job ironwood! He looked like the neighborhood bully. I'll bet all the other bucks are glad he is gone.
smile.gif

Congrats Mike!! You put a lot of time and effort in throughout the year, the scouting has paid off and will pay off even bigger in the future. Sounds like you have a good herd to tend.

GREAT BUCK MIKE!!!I think the broken rack tell's a story and that's what make's him so cool.People have already mentioned the fact that he's busted up and what that mean's.A freind of mine took a buck about 5 or 6 year's ago that was so bruised up that he had more purple on his front side then he did red,he had to have been the local bully.
Anyway,Congatulation's
beerchug.gif

Looks like the warrior of the woods met his match. Congrats on a great harvest, and taking the time to get a couple of great photos as well
waytogo.gif

NWBuck

Top Bottom