Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last Nights Doe

Shovelbuck

Swobie really redeemed himself tonight.He supplied the transportation, the bullet, as I somehow forgot mine, and he even gutted the deer for me as I'd also forgotten to bring my knife.Cripes, you'd think I had never done this before. The land owner he hunts on had 20 depredation doe tags from the Game and Parks due to excessive crop damage. He "guided" me there a couple weeks ago with NO success. All I'd heard for weeks before was about the huge numbers of deer there. "As many as stars in the sky" he said.
grin.gif
This evening things changed.
I had set up in a dry river channel of the Platte with a makeshift camo burlap blind hanging on some deadfall, sitting on a comfy chair. I was really expecting deer to be coming off the islands heading to the corn and was intent on watching that direction.
I'd been thinking about attempting to take out a ditch tiger at about 200 yds but thought better of it as it was around sundown. Suddenly, this doe steps out of the timber about 20 yards away. She was coming from the corn, heading to the river! She knew something wasn't quite right and when she did the "put the head down and quickly look up thing" I shouldered the gun. She trotted about 10 yards and stopped, giving me time to send the .30/06-125 grain bullet on it's short journey. She headed back towards the corn but collided with a fence after about a 30 yard run, hitting it so hard as to pull the fence from 2 posts. It was all over at that point.
I told Swobie that I felt like I was hunting on one of those shows in Texas. The deer was standing on a road, plus she expired next to the road around the fields edge.
grin.gif
Sure makes for a short drag, about 10 feet.
laugh.gif

552Copy_of_texas_style-med.JPG

Looking west from the blind, doe came from south.
552Copy_of_doe_3.JPG

Sorry, no score for the "Big Mama" big doe contest. A friend of Swobies wanted the tail, and I let him have it before getting a measurement.

Did you score her with out the tail?? I think I can still get a number for the tail.
grin.gif
Got her boned out yet?

Nice job Shovelbuck! I like your hunting ground. Looks like Canada or something. Congrats on the doe.
grin.gif

Nice job, Shovelbuck! Way to help thin out our doe herd!
rambo.gif
There's getting to be way too many of them.

Top Bottom