Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last Sit 2016 Muzzleloader Buck

TheMadCatter

I came to visit my family here near Iowa City. Long story short I ended up on a 40 acre place that's pretty awesome! I was dragging my feet out the door to hunt, wind chills in the -10 range? Wasn't really looking forward to my last day sit to be honest. We get to the place and I've never hunted it before. I found a large crossing and sat down, about 10 minutes after sitting down 7 does and 1 decent buck come out that was around 3:10.

I sat there, my face into the wind. I couldn't feel my face at all by around 4:10. I decided to get up, I was walking around looking to see if I could find a shed or two and I saw a large bodied deer with what I thought were antlers run across the neighbors field on the other side of the road. I decided it was time to make my move. I ran over to the other end of the 40 acres and snuck up over a hill were I thought he would cross. I pop the hill and look into the field I thought he was in...all that was there was a giant doe. I sat there watching the doe for 20 more minutes and decided it was time to call it a night. I was on my knees and then down about 50 yards from the road on the place I was hunting this buck was standing there. I got down FAST and got ready for my shot, I didn't have time to even look at his antlers. I could only tell he was a big mature buck that was wide. I put the cross hairs on him and squeezed the trigger for 150yards He dropped and didn't even move, I didn't even know how big he really was until I watched his head fold back.

I scored him at 148.5" Gross, he's a super symmetrical 10pt!

Last edited:
He wasn't very happy I got him up from his nap to bring him outside to take photos with a dead deer! Mom said she forgot about ordering me a cardboard cutout of him to bring along to Wyoming and that it was on her list of things to buy me for Christmas. We'll try to get one before I leave :)

Top Bottom