Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late food plot season planting?

TallTines

Just wanted to ask the all knowing ones on the site if there is anything besides oats and rye I could get away with planting this weekend and get some good growth for the season. Also would mixing oats and rye be a bad idea?

I planted purpletop turnips 8 days ago into low browsed corn with poor canopy and they are up and going strong. Try turnips in the mix.

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to ask the all knowing ones on the site if there is anything besides oats and rye I could get away with planting this weekend and get some good growth for the season. Also would mixing oats and rye be a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried mixing them but I suppose it wouldn't make any difference. Just be aware that the oats are going to die at the first hard frost.
Wheat is another fall forage and tritcale is a cross between wheat and rye which is leafier then rye and is great for grazing.

I'm getting ready to plant rye about Labor Day and I'm going to throw in a bag of Austrian Winter Peas even though they will also not make it thru the winter. They are "deer candy" when young and green and they are cheap enough.

AWP Rye Oats Triticale source

Still not too late for standard winter wheat and turnips. Also, a brassica mix could still go in, although it would have been best to have planted those already. I planted brassicas last year in about the 3rd week of September and then didn't get any rain on them to speak of. I still had some growth that attracted deer as late as early this past Spring.

I am also going to try some rye this Fall, just to see what happens and if there are any preferences.

Just be aware that the oats are going to die at the first hard frost.

Actually, if the oats don't go to seed they will last through the winter. Last fal we planted about an acre of oats later than we should have and they only got about 4 inches tall all fall/winter. They did not go to seed and next spring they got to my waist and had more seeds than normal. The turkey sure loved them in late spring and early summer.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Thanks for the replies guys. I got a clover/chicory and rye,rape,turnup plots in about 3 weeks ago. They are going strong. I would have planted alot more turnups and rape if our winch on the atv hadn't gone out on the only day I could get the plots in.
If you guys think the turnups will come up well still, I'll try them this weekend.
I planned on the oats not lasting past about about the 20th of oct. so Iam definately looking to extend those plots life a little bit for some late season killing.
TT

Top Bottom