Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzleloader Movement Update

I have been out 3 times since Christmas and plan on going till the 3rd, that is when i have to go back to Ft.Jackson South Carolina. Hopefully I can bag my First white tale in this time frame.

Sat in the middle of 400 acres of timber and had 6 bucks come buy a ridge over at 8:20. Couple 140s . Last night had 5 bucks come out at about 5 to picked beans. Diferent group but almost identicle, 2 decent and a few smaller. Never seen a single doe either sits

Sat yesterday afternoon about 100 yards inside edge of a large timber between a bedding area and a 1/2 acre brassica plot. Didn't see but one doe until 4:45pm.
I was glassing down into the timber where I thought most of deer would come from and turned my head to see a ghost of a buck standing in my food plot at 120yds. He and 4 other bucks had come from the smaller chunk of timber on the opposite side of the plot. I haven't seen anything of this deer since aug of 2010 and haven't laid eyes on it in three years. The unfortunate thing was that he never offered a shot and disappeared about 5 minutes after he showed up. This at least a 6.5yr old deer that should score into the 170's. I have no idea where he lives or where he goes but it was awesome just to see him again and know he is alive.

last night saw decent movement over standing beans. Where i was sitting the deer leave the bedding area and walked past a turnip plot, standing corn, and then finally make it to the beans. ended up seeing 18 last night one mature buck that was all busted up so i let him go and a couple of great up and comers that i was happy to see made it through gun season. Didn't see the one i was after though and my camera on the plot died on the 4th

I dunno...believe it or not, I have had some really good deer movement on super high wind days many times. Now then, staying in the treestand may be problematic. :grin: FWIW, my high wind/good movement experiences have mostly been in November, but I have had a couple/few in late December/early January, as recently as last year.

My theory is that the super high winds get them on their feet out of nervousness. Look in the bottoms of steep ravines/draws.

FWIW, my younger son hunted Sunday evening in the very high winds and saw excellent natural deer movement. He had his bow in his hand all evening and finally got a shot at a big one at last light and clonked a limb. He was pretty bummed, but I told him that it is really tough to take a big boy with a bow in the late season, so he should just enjoy the show he saw and go again...

Added - I forgot to mention...that my older son has a late muzzy tag and should have been sitting where my younger son was sitting, only he was too comfy reading in the cabin by the heater to make it out to his stand that evening. :) The big buck that my younger son missed was within 60 yards of that stand for about an hour before hustling by it later. In other words, he would have been a slam dunk shot with a muzzy, had the muzzy been in the tree with my older son.

He couldn't get the buck to stop walking in a shooting lane, he had to yell at it finally and it stopped just past a good window and I think that led to the obstruction. He said he saw 12-14 different deer, 3 or 4 bucks, with one being a real nice one.

Last edited:
Sounds like I should have hunted Sunday night despite the high winds. I've always thought it wasn't worth going out. I did see several deer out feeding off I-80 on my way back to North Liberty from Des Moines yesterday afternoon.

I hunted Sunday night and Monday night. The winds were a little worse on Sunday but not much.

I was absolutley covered up in deer last night but just not the right one. I watched alot of deer hit a standing bean field starting at 4:15 and feed for 20 minutes or so and head to the standing corn I was sitting on. I saw around 20 deer with 3-4 of those being small bucks. The bucks came in together withing a few minutes of legal shooting time.

I have been hunting my big buck every afternoon, but the problem is I have 3 feeding areas he can choose from around a thick 150 acres of timber. I am, thinking about Dbltrees rec., about just one main larger feeding area, so I am not chaseing my tail every day. Seeing lots of deer, but I always choose the wrong field or he comes out too late according to the cameras. I put a cudde flash camera out a couple days ago and got 1 pic of him last night. Gonna turn that off tomorrow. Every morning I walk 10 minutes, from my house, up a hill to my best feeding area. No deer catch me, but they are done feeding and going to bed , 100-200 yards away, at first light.If you were in the timber waiting for them it may work, but I wont go in the timber this time of the year.

The spot im sitting in the timber catch the deer coming off the neighbors food. Very easy in and out. Just hope they go that far (400 yard) from food. With the warmer temps they have no reason to stay right on the food. All that I know you cant kill them at home.

I am with 6x6. I tried a few morning hunts when season opened and I couldn't get in early enough. They always beat me in the timber. Done trying unless it's a place I know I can get into. Think I will just hunt the evenings and hope he comes out for a sun tan.

Best night of late ml tonight. Had 6 bucks over 140" out tonight. Biggest was pry 21" inside 10 point that should be 155"+. Saw bought 15 bucks total and 30 does maybe. Did some "shooting" with my video cam.

Best night of late ml tonight. Had 6 bucks over 140" out tonight. Biggest was pry 21" inside 10 point that should be 155"+. Saw bought 15 bucks total and 30 does maybe. Did some "shooting" with my video cam.

Sounds like a blast. A buddy and I were hunting separate farms and both seen great movement. I saw one 4yr old that I was hoping was still around. Buddy saw 3 shooters. I think we can thank the moon for this movement.

they're moving well, thats for sure. even in the warmer temps I'm still seeing a lot of deer. But, still not seeing many older bucks out.... Gonna go whack a few does this weekend for the freezer that should be a piece of cake

almost closed the deal tonight but a bleepin doe spooked for no reason and i got to watch him go the other way. Hopefully he will be back tomorrow but it looks like its going to be pretty dang warm.

Deer were moving this morning. I didn't hunt but saw more deer on my way to work this morning than I have since gun 1. Saw a 140ish buck and numerous young bucks and doe. Over about a 5 mile stretch I saw a good 50 deer out feeding in cut corn or alfalfa.

Yesterday afternoon however, I saw the least movement I have all late season. Had two fawns come by around 4:00 and then nothing till about 15 min till dark when a 120ish buck and 3 doe came strolling by. The buck was a 2yr old 8pt with a double throat patch and 2 white socks. I've seen him once before and was hoping to be able to keep tabs on him for a few more years. Should be easy tell its him.

Last edited:
I have hunted the whole late season except for 2 evenings. Entirely different from the last couple years and they could care less about the standing corn left for them as free food everywhere. Out of 11 deer I've seen while hunting only one was within range which I shot at. I sat in the drizzle half the day and it was a hang fire. Normally I would be amongst 20-30 per evening with just a matter of waiting for that special one. I'm ready for bambi now as my old bones can't hardly take it. They must come out in the middle of the night.

Looks like deer were moving well again this morning. Well at least they were on the ridge behind my house. I got up to make my coffee after put my baby back down to sleep and look out the window and two bucks and 8 doe are headed down the ridge. This was about 7:45. About 15 min later here comes another young buck with 2 more doe in tow. The last 3 mornings I've seen good movement. Although the biggest buck was in the 140 range. I can tell ya if I didn't have to work I would've been out. I know I will be giving it a shot tomorrow morning though.

Top Bottom