Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late muzzleloader

tall@wide

PMA Member
I may get slammed for saying this, but does anyone else think the late muzzleloader season is too long? With muzzleloaders now shooting out to 500+ yards, it's like a month-long high-powered rifle season now. Muzzleloader season came to be in the Midwest because of the open terrain and centerfire rifles being too dangerous. Now muzzleloaders are just like centerfires. What does everyone else think?

Maybe, however my experience is that only the last couple weeks are good hunting. Takes about two weeks for the deer yo settle back down after being pushed around by shotgun groups. Obviously that is highly dependent on how pressured your area is during shotgun seasons.

Maybe, however my experience is that only the last couple weeks are good hunting. Takes about two weeks for the deer yo settle back down after being pushed around by shotgun groups. Obviously that is highly dependent on how pressured your area is during shotgun seasons.
I agree. last 2 weeks seem to be the best. The colder the better. Weather determines much of my participation, so I'd hate to see it any shorter.

I may get slammed for saying this, but does anyone else think the late muzzleloader season is too long? With muzzleloaders now shooting out to 500+ yards, it's like a month-long high-powered rifle season now. Muzzleloader season came to be in the Midwest because of the open terrain and centerfire rifles being too dangerous. Now muzzleloaders are just like centerfires. What does everyone else think?
I get what you are saying. But while I don't know how you put the genie back in the bottle...I think the problem is more with the weapon than the season. I am old enough to remember when shooting a muzzleloader meant "launching" a round ball that you had stuffed into the front of your barrel manually, to say nothing of an actual "open" charge of powder. There was PLENTY of margin for error and 100 yards was pretty much a long shot and it was no guarantee either.

Now...it has "progressed" up to the point where they are essentially very accurate single shot high powered rifles. FWIW, when I do go after a deer with my muzzy I still load powder by hand and press the bullet in through the front of the barrel, and use a cap for ignition. So not entirely primitive, but several steps behind the current technology...on purpose.

I can understand the long season with traditional muzzleloaders, but the new muzzleloaders are just like a high-powered centerfire rifle.

When comparing traditional MZ to new MZ and the season length, same can be said about the rest of the weapons that are legal in all seasons. So do all the seasons need to be shortened due equipment improvements?
1st shotgun - 5 days
2nd shotgun - 9 days
Early MZ - 9 days
January antlerless - 12 days
Youth - 16 days
Disabled hunter - 16 days
Late MZ - 24 days
Archery - 85 days

I can understand the long season with traditional muzzleloaders, but the new muzzleloaders are just like a high-powered centerfire rifle.
But its still only ONE shot. I can argue that now its better because people are being more selective in their harvests with knowing they can wait for a deer to step out at any range. Also would probably mean less pressure as that one tag is easier to fill with a more efficient firearm.

Also if you are anything like me you are sitting in a box blind over a food source. And if mother nature does not cooperate those sits can be rather boring at times. For instance, this past year the great cold snap around Christmas had the deer moving every day and really good, but as soon as the weather warmed back up, very slow...so in my opinion and from what I saw on my farm there was really only 7-8 days of good hunting weather.

Agree with the comments above, it takes deer a couple weeks to relax after shotgun and the best weather seems to arrive after the season is over.
If high-powdered rifles were legal, literally almost no one would shoot a muzzleloader anymore. And most people do not practice enough to be proficient at really long range, myself included. I’d rather hunt a great farm with a mediocre weapon than a poor farm and a great weapon any day.
For years I hunted shotgun with a muzzleloader because of its accuracy and trajectory advantage. Today there’s no need. Weapons in every category have improved significantly over time, not just in LM.

No, it's not too long imo. For as long as it is I usually only get in 3-6 hunts in due to holiday schedules with family. Any shorter and I'd be down to 1-2 hunts. I bow hunt sometimes instead of late muzzy due to left over doe tags and the added time and bonus of being able to archery hunt a second buck is well worth it to me.

I see your point though, cuz these smokeless muzzy's are insanely accurate, but most guys won't spend the time or money to take full advantage of their potential. I've looked into it a couple times, but I rarely have a shot opportunity past 200 yards so the price of admission ain't worth it.

Honesty the pistol 350 legends and 450 bushmaster AR's are more of a cheat code than the smokeless muzzy's imo. ATF is making those a felony though, so we'll see how that all plays out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They should change the weapon back to black powder, iron sites. Same with bows, I bet theres some that don't know what a recurve is. But they'll tell you all about their 500mph laser sited, glow in the dark compound that shoots heat seeking arrows! Slowly but surely the greed of money! Outfitters, TVshows, Leased Land! NR license are getting so expensive your 2 and 3 yr olds are going to get shot up, no ones going home without meat for the cost of 800 bucks. Outfitters will take care of your 4 and 5yr olds for ya at ridiculous prices. Your public land is going to be over run do to the amount of leased land and no place to hunt. Iowa, Iowa, Iowa is all you hear now. Its going to be shot down like Illinois was, Wisc, Texas, Montana, etc! Tv shows outfitters. I hunted the Milk River in Montana, was great 30 yrs ago. Now your TV shows and leased land has ruined it, I've hunted Iowa 5 times in my life, never took a buck home, passed on many 150's saw larger, saw some nice 200's, just couldn't connect with bow. I was fine with going home with a tag, I was trophy hunting. Same on the Milk in Montana, Kansas, Texas, Ohio. Outfitters and TV shows and the greed of money. Don't tell me these guys our steward's of the land,,the Indians were stewards of the land and look what these guys and the greed of money did to them. You use to be able to knock on doors, ask permission. Now you have to right a check and add 3 zeros to your number. Their clearcutting alot of the public in Wisc. No idea where the money from the timber goes,,not back into the public land thats for sure. The states hands I guess for bonuses and politician's pockets. Hunting is going to be a rich mans sport, lol. These guys go out spend 5 grand on a weapon and their fancy gimmicks, another 5 grand on the hunt and outfitter and most would be out hunted by a 5 yr old born and raised country boy!
We should of all taken stock out in a (Leased Land and No Trespassing sign Company!) we'd be millionaires. Speaking of land. Have you had your talk with the wife about the kids not going to collage if you continue hunting. Tell your DNR you have enough seasons and weapons!

They should change the weapon back to black powder, iron sites. Same with bows, I bet theres some that don't know what a recurve is. But they'll tell you all about their 500mph laser sited, glow in the dark compound that shoots heat seeking arrows! Slowly but surely the greed of money! Outfitters, TVshows, Leased Land! NR license are getting so expensive your 2 and 3 yr olds are going to get shot up, no ones going home without meat for the cost of 800 bucks. Outfitters will take care of your 4 and 5yr olds for ya at ridiculous prices. Your public land is going to be over run do to the amount of leased land and no place to hunt. Iowa, Iowa, Iowa is all you hear now. Its going to be shot down like Illinois was, Wisc, Texas, Montana, etc! Tv shows outfitters. I hunted the Milk River in Montana, was great 30 yrs ago. Now your TV shows and leased land has ruined it, I've hunted Iowa 5 times in my life, never took a buck home, passed on many 150's saw larger, saw some nice 200's, just couldn't connect with bow. I was fine with going home with a tag, I was trophy hunting. Same on the Milk in Montana, Kansas, Texas, Ohio. Outfitters and TV shows and the greed of money. Don't tell me these guys our steward's of the land,,the Indians were stewards of the land and look what these guys and the greed of money did to them. You use to be able to knock on doors, ask permission. Now you have to right a check and add 3 zeros to your number. Their clearcutting alot of the public in Wisc. No idea where the money from the timber goes,,not back into the public land thats for sure. The states hands I guess for bonuses and politician's pockets. Hunting is going to be a rich mans sport, lol. These guys go out spend 5 grand on a weapon and their fancy gimmicks, another 5 grand on the hunt and outfitter and most would be out hunted by a 5 yr old born and raised country boy!
We should of all taken stock out in a (Leased Land and No Trespassing sign Company!) we'd be millionaires. Speaking of land. Have you had your talk with the wife about the kids not going to collage if you continue hunting. Tell your DNR you have enough seasons and weapons!
I understand what you are saying but also think Iowa is light years ahead of other states when it comes to managing for mature deer. A couple of tweaks in muzzleloader and party hunting, and it would be like winning the lottery.:p

4 months of season seems excessive IMO. The push is to make it longer, add more seasons & more weapons. They do this while every weapon choice gets more lethal. Perplexing that we need 1/3rd a year to hunt deer.
I’d be for anything to dial things back. Reduce every season by 20% - be just fine by me. Let’s say we said “season is only 3 months now”….. how isn’t that enough?!? Or one buck. Is it going to happen? NOPE. So, leads me to the line in the sand…. Don’t add a Frigin thing!!!!! We are already past the line at 4 months, 7 seasons & 6+ weapons. Declining access to quality land is plaguing the country. The whole country needs to dial it back. There’s pockets of high deer #’s but it’s becoming less frequent over the country. & those spots are often from land owners limiting access - won’t change them anyways. Hunters who care about a balanced healthy herd with balanced age structure should hold the line on new weapons, longer/new seasons, etc. We all know this crap is driven by special interests like insurance companies, weapon companies, etc. NOT the hunters. The whole country is dealing with this battle. Iowa is still in the fight while most other states lost long ago and need to dig their way back out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying but also think Iowa is light years ahead of other states when it comes to managing for mature deer. A couple of tweaks in muzzleloader and party hunting, and it would be like winning the lottery.:p
I agree with you on that. Keep in mind we were all light years ahead at one time. I visited a friend back in April lives up near Waterville Iowa. He's farmed for 67 years. We talked about hunting and farming for a few hours. He told me how he grew up hunting 19 farms with family and friends, I was floored when he told me every farm he grew up hunting is now leased. We ran into a guy shed hunting from out of state on one of the farms. The guy tells me he spends 8000 a year on his lease to hunt it for two weeks roughly every 5 yrs. He sub leases it every year to pay himself toward his leasing to have a farm to hunt. Turkey season was filled up with weekly leases and Shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow were all leased by the week except his 2 weeks he keeps for himself. I was blown away by what he told me. Said he's making money and has a farm to hunt when time comes. I will guaranty the amount of game harvested on this one farm from this leasing equals more than what my friend and families and friends would harvest on those 19 farms he hunted growing up,. His hunts were family and friends get togethers, friendship, stories of farming and past hunts, girlfriends and wifes, a big buck shot and the one that got away. etc.
They didn't have the attitude of (with what Im spending, I'm going home with something! nor the weapons we have nowdays.) I was at a gun club this morning,,I watched a guy with one of the new muzzeloaders, damn rifle if you ask me! Anyways I watched his 14 yr old son punch a 3 inch group at 200yds then his farther impressed us with a 399yd bullseye, well actually he was 2 inchs high, which would still put it in the lungs I'd say.
My oldest son put in for a group bowhunt this year, we each have 6 (6yrs waiting) points my other son has 4 points and will be taking a military leave to hopefully hunt Iowa this year with me. This will be my last time for Iowa, I don't think I'll live, to be drawn again and my walking is getting labored. I do and forever will love bow hunting and the challenge, but also know all good things will come to and end. If I don't harvest a buck larger then any I have on my walls today, I'll leave with a unfilled tag once again, but the memories of a hunt with my sons in Iowa will be cherished! I'll come to Wisc and harvest a doe or one of the many 2 1/2 yr old bucks for my table.
Please don't let your state come to and end. Weapons are being developed everyday for the guys watching these hunting shows. Their coming to your state and they will be leaving with something do to the thousands they are dishing out for weapons, licenses, etc. Lobbyist's from weapons manufactures are throwing money at your state and local politicians to change laws for the greed of money. Iowa wants to raise or did; not sure, non res to 7500 non res. Thats a 1000 for license, 1400 for a blackpowder that shoots 399yd bullseyes another 1000 for room and board. 5000 for a outfitter all for the greed of money. Thats not including the new shotguns, bows, lol, crossbows,,,I watched a guy make a 100yd bullseye with his 2500 dollar crossbow and he said he was ready for Iowa! There coming alright!
Guess where that father and son with the 1400 muzzleloader are hoping to get drawn for this year! Those magnificent 5,6,7yr olds some nearing 200class whitetails that were once out of bow range at 50yds, or shotgun range at 150 yds for alot of us are now going to be dead! The states have taken an ethical sport of value's and way of life and turned it into a multi-billion dollar business run my CEO's and Board of directors. Heck even the Drury boys are caught up in it. Best of everything for you to buy year after year! Money Money, Money! Look at one of their hunts from 40 yrs ago. Recurve bows, blue jeans and big bucks, by knocking on doors! Fast forward to now and their hunting with 5000 grand worth of equipment on a 1000 acer patrolled (by air) farm the grows bucks! How's that teaching a kid ethics and how to hunt!
Fight for what you have left,,tell them NO more of anything!
I wish you good hunting always and food on your table, and a life of 4,5,6 yr old magnificent Whitetails. Godbless Iowa and MAGA!

I agree with you on that. Keep in mind we were all light years ahead at one time. I visited a friend back in April lives up near Waterville Iowa. He's farmed for 67 years. We talked about hunting and farming for a few hours. He told me how he grew up hunting 19 farms with family and friends, I was floored when he told me every farm he grew up hunting is now leased. We ran into a guy shed hunting from out of state on one of the farms. The guy tells me he spends 8000 a year on his lease to hunt it for two weeks roughly every 5 yrs. He sub leases it every year to pay himself toward his leasing to have a farm to hunt. Turkey season was filled up with weekly leases and Shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow were all leased by the week except his 2 weeks he keeps for himself. I was blown away by what he told me. Said he's making money and has a farm to hunt when time comes. I will guaranty the amount of game harvested on this one farm from this leasing equals more than what my friend and families and friends would harvest on those 19 farms he hunted growing up,. His hunts were family and friends get togethers, friendship, stories of farming and past hunts, girlfriends and wifes, a big buck shot and the one that got away. etc.
They didn't have the attitude of (with what Im spending, I'm going home with something! nor the weapons we have nowdays.) I was at a gun club this morning,,I watched a guy with one of the new muzzeloaders, damn rifle if you ask me! Anyways I watched his 14 yr old son punch a 3 inch group at 200yds then his farther impressed us with a 399yd bullseye, well actually he was 2 inchs high, which would still put it in the lungs I'd say.
My oldest son put in for a group bowhunt this year, we each have 6 (6yrs waiting) points my other son has 4 points and will be taking a military leave to hopefully hunt Iowa this year with me. This will be my last time for Iowa, I don't think I'll live, to be drawn again and my walking is getting labored. I do and forever will love bow hunting and the challenge, but also know all good things will come to and end. If I don't harvest a buck larger then any I have on my walls today, I'll leave with a unfilled tag once again, but the memories of a hunt with my sons in Iowa will be cherished! I'll come to Wisc and harvest a doe or one of the many 2 1/2 yr old bucks for my table.
Please don't let your state come to and end. Weapons are being developed everyday for the guys watching these hunting shows. Their coming to your state and they will be leaving with something do to the thousands they are dishing out for weapons, licenses, etc. Lobbyist's from weapons manufactures are throwing money at your state and local politicians to change laws for the greed of money. Iowa wants to raise or did; not sure, non res to 7500 non res. Thats a 1000 for license, 1400 for a blackpowder that shoots 399yd bullseyes another 1000 for room and board. 5000 for a outfitter all for the greed of money. Thats not including the new shotguns, bows, lol, crossbows,,,I watched a guy make a 100yd bullseye with his 2500 dollar crossbow and he said he was ready for Iowa! There coming alright!
Guess where that father and son with the 1400 muzzleloader are hoping to get drawn for this year! Those magnificent 5,6,7yr olds some nearing 200class whitetails that were once out of bow range at 50yds, or shotgun range at 150 yds for alot of us are now going to be dead! The states have taken an ethical sport of value's and way of life and turned it into a multi-billion dollar business run my CEO's and Board of directors. Heck even the Drury boys are caught up in it. Best of everything for you to buy year after year! Money Money, Money! Look at one of their hunts from 40 yrs ago. Recurve bows, blue jeans and big bucks, by knocking on doors! Fast forward to now and their hunting with 5000 grand worth of equipment on a 1000 acer patrolled (by air) farm the grows bucks! How's that teaching a kid ethics and how to hunt!
I wish you good hunting always and food on your table, and a life of 4,5,6 yr old magnificent Whitetails. Godbless Iowa and MAGA!
Good read. I hope you and your sons get drawn and have a great hunt. It does seem like almost everyone today wants hunting to become easier and easier. That is probably going to get even worse over time. I personally like it when hunting is tough and not easy. The mature bucks that are a little smarter than average make it even more rewarding when you get them. The ones that seem unkillable because of where they bed or being mostly nocturnal are even more fun to hunt.

THIS is an amazing post. Well done!!! So glad we have so many hunters educated on the reality of what’s happening & educating others. Great post & perspective!!

Top Bottom